“Service and Amenities are tops.”
Review of Victoria House

Victoria House
Ranked #8 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Dallas
“Service and Amenities are tops.”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at Victoria House from May 14 - 28 to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We were looking for service and amenities to just kick back and relax after our daughter's recent wedding. Upon arrival, we found a bottle of champagne and a note from VH re our 40th anniversary--a very nice gesture. We stayed in a one-bedroom infinity suite overlooking the infinity pool and then on to the beach (the on-line pictures don't do the view justice). We particularly enjoyed the front terrace and the upper balcony of our two story accommodations. We did not have water pressure issues or air conditioning problems mentioned by others who stayed in different accommodations. We did find the bug spray helpful although the mosquitoes didn't come out till dusk. We were particularly happy that we chose this unit with its living room-dining area, open kitchen and upstairs master suite since we were besieged with storms 7 out of 9 days of our stay. Having extra space and covered outside areas made it possible to enjoy the day even in the rain. One day there was a record rainfall and the torrent of rain made it difficult to get anywhere on the resort grounds without getting drenched. Various hotel staff members came by on that day (note, no phones in the units) and asked it we needed anything--so we were able to order lunch and drinks and have them delivered to our unit in spite of the downpour.

The infinity pool just outside our front door was marvelous and service was always available around the pool for drinks or food. The staff in general were always very accommodating and congenial. We enjoyed talking to several of them which gave us insight into the country, some of its history and its residents. We particularly enjoyed the bar and ate there several times.

On our one sunny day, we walked the beach into town. The beach other than that at Victoria House is not very wide (some times we ended up walking on someone's seawall) or as well kept up. But where there is no breeze on the road to town, there was a breeze on the beach. Also there were various bars along the way and we stopped at two for drinks--Caribbean Beach (very rustic, small and interesting bartender) and Rico's which is more upscale as it is associated with a resort, Banyan Bay. We later ate at Rico's, but were not impressed with the food. We also had lunch at Fido's overlooking the beach and water. They serve a delicious conch burger.

We had several occasions to ask questions, directions, etc of people in town and they were always very helpful. I had forgotten my camera battery charger and the owner of store that was charging it indicated that I could just ask at VH's desk for one of their staff who might be in town that evening to pick it up and sure enough, it happened.

Victoria House's restaurant is elegant with excellent service and some of the best food on the island. We too had our caught fish cooked up by VH's kitchen and it was delicious. Since we had a full refrigerator in our unit, we were able to take the leftovers back with us and with bread supplied by VH's kitchen, we had fish sandwiches for lunch the next day.

We made all our snorkling, sailing, and fishing trips through VH. When checking the cost of land tours on line as opposed to booking through VH, I did not find a difference in price. My husband thought that Roberto who took him fly fishing was a great instructor and that my husband learned several things even though he has had fly fishing instruction and had fly fished several times before this.

I did use the manicure and pedicure service provided--had it done on the front terrace and it was very competently done and a pleasant experience.

Although we spoke to other travelers who were very happy with their accommodations at other resorts on Ambergris, we believe that Victoria House had the best kept grounds and beach of any resort we saw. It was the perfect location for a de-stressing and celebratory stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2010

My wife and I recently spent a week at Victoria House. I could go on and on about Ambergris Caye and the town of San Pedro, but I should start by telling you why our experience was so great. Manuel, Miguel, Sandro, Lelo, Rick, Tony, Tico, Dave, Leo, Marlin, and Tim provided us with perfect, attentive service and plenty of "local" recommendations.

We stayed in a casita, and I've seen plenty of people complaining about the air conditioners. They are correct. The only problem we had was staying cool at night, but we weren't hot. Here are some recommendations: 1) leave your ceiling fan off, 2) leave blinds pulled in the evening, and 3) close the screen shutter in the bathroom. Do these things, and you'll be just fine. Trust me...the patio/hammock on the casita is worth any suffering you might do.

Just go and relax. We had wind keep the bugs away, but I would recommend unscented Off as a repellent.

Have fun!

PS - Make sure you meet Agapito in the bar. He's an alcoholic lizard that lives on Triple Sec. He'll probably be passed out while you are there....

1 Thank Texas T
Southern California
Reviewed 28 May 2010

Victoria House offers their guests what few others can match - a beautiful locale that boast one of the best array of tropical foilage and shady palm trees on the most prestine of beaches that are swept clean daily. The food and drinks are the best you can have anywhere - the Pina Coladas are Fantastic!!!! What truly sets them apart however is the service: Every single staff member is always very accommodating and friendly and always willing to assist in whichever request you may have. Even getting fres coconuts from the tress that abound on the premises. They make you feel as if you are the only one there and if you happen to be a repeat visitor, more than likely, they will remember you from your previous trip. After staying at Victoria House it makes it difficult to go anywhere else. Truly Paradise - the people, the locale and the accommodations.

• Stayed May 2010
Austin
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My husband and I recently went to Victoria House with another couple and found paradise on earth! We had never been before and found that everything far exceeded our expectations. The staff was very attentive without being too annoying. We first stayed in a casita which was very nice, however, the air conditioner was not real strong and my husband was warm the first night. Our friends were also uncomfortably warm and didn't sleep well the first night. After a wedding party left we were able to move over to a larger casa that we shared. It was incredible. A little more pricey but it was worth it. Not only did we have our own pool. Each room was very comfortably air conditioned and beautiful. The views were incredible and the food was absolutely delicious! We would go back in a heart beat! We highly recommend it to anyone. We also went snorkeling and swam with nurse sharks and large manta rays. Roberto took us snorkeling and took our husband's fishing. He is very experienced (40 years) and good at what he does. The staff were wonderful and we appreciated Marlon, Miquel, Julio, Angie, Justin, Francisco, Oscar, and Haytie for all that they did to make our stay so enjoyable. They do a great job!

1 Thank spencerfam
Medway, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My husband and I came to Belize for our honeymoon. We started our trip in the jungle at the Ka'ana resort and spa (see my other review, it was amazing!). Victoria House has absolutely beautiful grounds. The casitas are very cute although we didn't spend too much time inside. Be prepared that "luxury" in Belize is not the same as "luxury" in other areas, and thank god! You still feel like you are a part of Belize's incredible raw beauty but with a comfy bed and delicious food. Just don't be surprised if a lizard makes his way into the casita. In fact, I was sitting at the thatched roof bar when a lizard fell from above me and landed on my lap. It was hysterical! If this isn't something you can deal with, perhaps Belize is not the best bet for you.

My husband and I went into town several times on the bike's provided by Victoria house and once on a golf cart you can rent. We had a great time and enjoyed seeing the island. The food at Victoria House was the best we had. We went on a fishing trip not far from the resort and caught TONS of fish. We then brought it back and the hotel made us our lunch and dinner with our catch. All that was left over went to the local boys. We had most of our meals in the bar area where you can order anything they have in the dining room. We just felt more relaxed there than in the formal dining room. The bartenders are fantastic and fun!

I can't wait to go back to Victoria House. We had a great time!

P.S. We didn't have any problem with beach flies that some people mentioned.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 May 2010

Ok, so I am a very well traveled person. I have stayed in 5 star resorts as well as $2/night shacks. I am pretty comfortable with anything and everything. Victoria House is not the best place I have ever been to, but it is the best on Ambergris (minus Cayo Espanto of course). After reading the reviews here and then booking, I am so happy with the decision I made. You may see people saying that it's too expensive for what you get, and though I might agree a bit, it was definitely worth it for my wife and I.

They rake the sand and clear the water of seaweed daily! Seriously, this is worth it as the beaches in San Pedro aren't that pristine. Walk 100 feet in any direction along the beach from Victoria House and you'll see.

The staff is so friendly. Emily, Angie, Justin... you guys rocked. And Fernanda is just the best in the office.

They have great food but you don't need to do the meal plan for too long as you get sick of it after a while. It's also too much food and there are other options to explore on the island. Any of the staff will give you a good recommendation. I love street food and it's all safe in San Pedro.

The Rain Forest Suite is good for a honeymoon but honestly if you're on more of a budget just get a Casita (#4 or 7 are best) as they are secluded and quiet enough and you'll be outside on the beach or doing activities anyway. Spend your money elsewhere. We stayed in both and both agreed that we should have saved the money and only done the casita. If you can afford one of the town homes or houses then those are pretty slick.

The grounds are just so nice too. They take good care of the plants around the resort. And did I mention they rake the freaking sand!

It's a bit of a trek into town, but this makes for a secluded place. I though it annoying at first, but it's not a bother at all. Water taxis, regular cabs, bikes, and golf carts are easy to get.

You probably won't be swimming in the beach areas that much, and the dock area is just ok for swimming. However, the 2 pool areas are perfect. Make sure to get a banana colada or island stumbler while you're relaxing on the beach. They guys at the bar will take care of you. Don't act above them (as most guests do/did), and have fun with them. They are locals!

The "dive shop" just outsources everything anyway, so I would just go strait to the source. You can call all these other outfits on your own and they pick you up from the VH dock anyway. I am not sure if VH takes a cut of their outsourced carriers, but I imagine they do. Either way, VH makes it easy to do trips. Amigos del Mar were very good to us for local dives and the Blue Hole.

My wife wanted a place that was secluded, tropical, and very nice for our honeymoon. I wanted the same but a place where we could also do cool activities too (diving, cave tubing, jet skiing, para sailing, snorkeling, zip lining, etc). The Victoria House was a perfect honeymoon destination!

I don't really have any complaints that are too significant but I know some would be curious. I wrote these to VH when they asked about my trip when I got home. Here's what I wrote:

We had a great time at the Victoria House. Your staff was the best part about our trip. They were so accommodating and nice all the time. I didn't worry about anything at any time. It was just surreal. Some names that come to mind are Angie, Emily and Justin in your restaurant. They were so good to us. The guys in the bar are cool too! Fernanda was pretty much the best.

The only real issues we had were nit picky, but because of the cost and high-scale nature of VH we have to let them out:
1) You don't have a dive shop so you outsource everything. This led to Luis making us miss our Altun Ha trip. This sucked. It was actually another guys fault that filled in for Luis on his day off. He "confirmed" our trip and then we found out that it wasn't confirmed.
2) The AC in Casita 4 was not cold at all and after having your staff try to fix it twice we just gave up.
3) The water pressure in the Rain Forest suite is awful.
4) All the shower water stunk poorly in both rooms.
5) One day you let a bunch (30-40) tourists from the cruise ships come in to see the grounds. This was our first day there and we felt like animals at the zoo with all the people taking pictures. We paid for seclusion. If they want to see the place they can make their own reservations or look online. This ruined it for us for a few hours. We were horrified that they might come back again. Luckily they didn't.
6) You only had 1 one-person kayak. Who goes kayaking alone? Why not have either 2 or more kayaks or a 2 person kayak? What gives?

I hope this review helps. We definitely give our highest marks to VH. Thanks for a great honeymoon!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jcpratt
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 May 2010

BRING BUG SPRAY!!!

Loved this place!! Just left this morning and wife and I are already missing it. Stayed in plantation room #12, had quite possibly the best view on the grounds. On second floor, overlooking pool, just above the restaurant, and near main lobby (perfect location). Also very roomy and had an extra room with sofa and chairs.

Only one major complaint, water pressure in shower was horrible. Felt like water was just slowly dripping onto your head while attempting to shower. Also poor temperature consistency in the shower. Other than that, loved everything about the resort as did my wife.

BRING BUG SPRAY!!!

Beautiful grounds, perfect pools, both the main one and the infinity pool in the back. Very friendly and attentive staff, got to know many by name and were only there for 3 days. Many different styles of rooms from entire house to small private casitas. Went on the snorkeling trip and an amazing time swimming with the nurse sharks, stingrays, and tortoises. Great poolside and beach service at any time. Free wi-fi throughout property for guests. Rooms with large comfortable beds and pillows, safes, and stocked mini bars. Rent a golf cart for a few hours and explore the town of San Pedro which is a good time. Ate at Elvi's kitchenn and Blue Water Grill and loved both of them. Food gets a little pricey at hotel so can definitely save some money by dining out.

BRING BUG SPRAY!!!!

Was eaten alive in only about an hour on our first night and still suffering from it!! I'm not one to usually attract mosquitoes, but these bad boys were fast, invisible, and aggressive!!

In all, we absolutely loved our experience here and cannot wait to come back!!

1 Thank johnabed