My husband and I stayed at Victoria House from May 14 - 28 to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We were looking for service and amenities to just kick back and relax after our daughter's recent wedding. Upon arrival, we found a bottle of champagne and a note from VH re our 40th anniversary--a very nice gesture. We stayed in a one-bedroom infinity suite overlooking the infinity pool and then on to the beach (the on-line pictures don't do the view justice). We particularly enjoyed the front terrace and the upper balcony of our two story accommodations. We did not have water pressure issues or air conditioning problems mentioned by others who stayed in different accommodations. We did find the bug spray helpful although the mosquitoes didn't come out till dusk. We were particularly happy that we chose this unit with its living room-dining area, open kitchen and upstairs master suite since we were besieged with storms 7 out of 9 days of our stay. Having extra space and covered outside areas made it possible to enjoy the day even in the rain. One day there was a record rainfall and the torrent of rain made it difficult to get anywhere on the resort grounds without getting drenched. Various hotel staff members came by on that day (note, no phones in the units) and asked it we needed anything--so we were able to order lunch and drinks and have them delivered to our unit in spite of the downpour.
The infinity pool just outside our front door was marvelous and service was always available around the pool for drinks or food. The staff in general were always very accommodating and congenial. We enjoyed talking to several of them which gave us insight into the country, some of its history and its residents. We particularly enjoyed the bar and ate there several times.
On our one sunny day, we walked the beach into town. The beach other than that at Victoria House is not very wide (some times we ended up walking on someone's seawall) or as well kept up. But where there is no breeze on the road to town, there was a breeze on the beach. Also there were various bars along the way and we stopped at two for drinks--Caribbean Beach (very rustic, small and interesting bartender) and Rico's which is more upscale as it is associated with a resort, Banyan Bay. We later ate at Rico's, but were not impressed with the food. We also had lunch at Fido's overlooking the beach and water. They serve a delicious conch burger.
We had several occasions to ask questions, directions, etc of people in town and they were always very helpful. I had forgotten my camera battery charger and the owner of store that was charging it indicated that I could just ask at VH's desk for one of their staff who might be in town that evening to pick it up and sure enough, it happened.
Victoria House's restaurant is elegant with excellent service and some of the best food on the island. We too had our caught fish cooked up by VH's kitchen and it was delicious. Since we had a full refrigerator in our unit, we were able to take the leftovers back with us and with bread supplied by VH's kitchen, we had fish sandwiches for lunch the next day.
We made all our snorkling, sailing, and fishing trips through VH. When checking the cost of land tours on line as opposed to booking through VH, I did not find a difference in price. My husband thought that Roberto who took him fly fishing was a great instructor and that my husband learned several things even though he has had fly fishing instruction and had fly fished several times before this.
I did use the manicure and pedicure service provided--had it done on the front terrace and it was very competently done and a pleasant experience.
Although we spoke to other travelers who were very happy with their accommodations at other resorts on Ambergris, we believe that Victoria House had the best kept grounds and beach of any resort we saw. It was the perfect location for a de-stressing and celebratory stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At Victoria House, the order of the day is quite simply relaxation… Located on Ambergris Caye, the largest of the many offshore Belizean Islands, Victoria House is just 2 miles south of picturesque San Pedro Town. The resort offers a taste of barefoot elegance that keeps guests coming back for more. With just 42 guest rooms ranging in style from thatch roof casitas to beachfront villas with private pools, plantation style rooms and stunning ocean view villas, the only challenge is making the choice of where to hang your swimsuit at night. The Palmilla Restaurant and Admiral Nelsons Bar are renowned for fine food and drink complimented by extraordinary, personalized service. Attention to detail by staff and management alike has garnered accolades from international media and awards from prestigious organizations such as Conde Nast Traveler, Conde Nast Johansens and TripAdvisor. Even more telling is the number of guests who chose to make Victoria House their destination of choice, year after year. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Priceline and Cancelon so you can book your Victoria House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Victoria House Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria Hotel San Pedro
- Victoria House Belize/San Pedro
- Victoria San Pedro