“Can't wait to go back!”

Victoria House Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 14 February 2011

Victoria House is a very small and beautiful property. The rooms were nice, the pools were great, the food was super and the service was great too.
They offer several different types of rooms from a small bedroom and bath to a 5 bedroom house with a full kitchen and and living area. Some of the accomadations even offer private pools. We toured all the room types for future options and were impressed with all of them. The beds and linens were very comfy!
The 2 pools we experienced were both nice and very clean. Would love to have a swim up bar but the beauty of the place more than made up of the absence of a swim up bar.
The food was far above the food at other resorts we have stayed at in Mexico. (This was our first trip to Belize) Breakfast was delicious and the fresh orange juice was amazing. At lunch, we usually had guacamole which was very tasty and a sandwich. Dinner was a showcase. Food was presented beautifully and tasted fabulous. I LOVED the Caye Lime Creme Burlee!!!! It was the best!!!!
The service was good and everyone was extremely friendly. They left us alone and did not bother us but were VERY helpful whenever we asked for something. It seemed as though they tried very hard to respect our privacy. However, were close by and very accomadating.
Victoria House was expensive but worth every cent. The beaches in Belize were not too great. They had lots of sea weed. Victoria House did lots of work to make their beaches good but they really did not have much to work with. The beaches at VH, however, were the prettiest we saw in Belize.
VH was awesome. We are already planning our return trip!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank adaycloser

Reviewed 12 February 2011

I recently returned after spending 11 days at Victoria House and my experience was nothing short of spectacular. Fourteen of my family members traveled to Ambergris Caye to celebrate my wedding. Of the 14, two were teenagers and two were elementary-aged. All 14 of us agreed that this was, by far, the best resort on the island and the best vacation any of us have ever been on.

From the moment I booked the vacation last summer to the time I was dropped off for my departure at Tropic Air, every detail was meticulously addressed by a variety of the hotel staff. It's tough planning a wedding when you are thousands of miles away but Javier made it simple. He was always available to answer any question I may have had over the past several months and was always eager to help and/or make a suggestion. Once I arrived, he brought in the most equisite flowers (freshly cut that morning) and allowed my now-husband and I the opportunity to choose whichever flower we liked. When I forgot to order the wedding cake (oops!), Javier kindly made the order for me. (The chocolate cake from Amy Knox is to die for!) Javier even arranged to have Carlos, the best hairstylist and makeup artist in Belize, come to my casita the day of the wedding to style myself and my mother. He too was a gem. Javier paid attention to every detail and I credit him for allowing me to have the most perfect wedding imaginable. (They even raked the area where the ceremony was being held right before the event and decorated the area beautifully - these are just a few of the details that separate Victoria House from the others.)

Several reviews discuss the excellent staff; however they are even better in person. As I mentioned, there were 14 of us staying at the resort. Each staff member made it a point to learn each of our names, and even knew our likes and dislikes. Not only are they all polite and personable, but they are all very hard workers. From the men who rake the beach each morning, to the gardeners who are constantly planting flowers, everyone works their hardest to make Victoria House the best resort in Belize.

Of all of the staff, however, Leonel and Miguel stood out the most. Both men were right there when we needed something and graciously adhered to any of our requests. They also got along very well with my husband and I, and our children.

My family and I stayed in a variety of rooms. The teenagers stayed in the state rooms, which were great in value. The views were great and the bathrooms were spacious. I initially stayed in a casita, which was very charming. The chairs and hammock out front were great. The casita was just the right size and was really neat looking. After the wedding, we upgraded to the Rainforest Suite, which was wonderful. The bed was very large and comfortable, the bathroom was also very large and it had plenty of seating inside and out. It was lovely being able to wake up and watch the sunrise from bed. A few of my relatives stayed in the Plantation Rooms, which they liked very much.

Rooms come with a continental breakfast, which consists of two slices of freshly baked bread (amazing!) and three freshly baked muffins. The flavors change daily. All were delicious. We ate at the Palmilla Restaurant several times and everything we had there was delicious as well.

The hotel provides free bicycles to guests. You could also rent golf carts on site. We took advantage of both offerings several times.

The pools are very clean and refreshing, and the beach is gorgeous. The staff clear the seagrass and brush that washes up daily. There is also a roped off area at the end of the pier where guests can swim. The dive shop kindly lent the kids snorkel gear several times during our stay so they could search for sting rays and the moray eel.

I could probably write forever but I will end this review now. If you are debating over where to stay, this should be your pick. Nothing on Ambergris Caye even remotely compares to Victoria House - location, staff, food, grounds, rooms - all are top notch. I was there for 11 days and felt like I was in paradise at every moment. Again, nothing compares to Victoria House. I cannot wait to return.

To the staff at Victoria House - thank you again for giving me the best wedding imaginable. -Jenn :)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank News_StJohn
Reviewed 12 February 2011

This is our fourth stay at Victoria house and it only gets better. Although we travel to Europe in August we feel we are coming home to each February when we come to Victoria House. The chef should be rated 5 star Michelin Guide. We have never been disappointed. In fact we rarely visit other restaurants. The preparation, presentation and ambiance of Pamilla restaurant is the best. The entire staff treats you like family and makes each stay one to remember. The management is superb an every detail is attended to. I give VH my highest recommendation.

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 8 February 2011

Victoria House definitely exceeded our expectations! My wife and I have traveled extensively and feel that you have the friendliest and most accomodating staff that we have ever had the pleasure of staying with - not to mention VH is an absolutely beautiful, relaxed hotel and by far has the best beach on Ambergris Caye! Thank you Jeremiah, Luis, Miguel, Francisco, Carlos, and the rest of the team! We booked several excursions from the hotel as well - Luis did an awesome job! He was very infomative and made sure that we were taken care of. We have already recommended VH to many of our friends. If we ever have the opportunity to return to Ambergris, it will only be with a stay at Victoria House!

Steve & Chantelle C.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We really enjoyed our time at Victoria House. The grounds are beautiful and the beach is the best beach we saw on the island. You definitely are paying for the grounds, view and beach. My complaint was that I felt like I could be anywhere - Hawaii, etc. After being in Belize for a week and arriving at VH I felt like the Belize culture was a bit lost and this was focused on American tourists. It kinds rubbed me the wrong way that everything was in American dollars and that everything was so expensive! If you buy beverages outside of the hotel you are only allowed to drink them in your room. I wasn't blown away by the drinks at the pool either. $8-10 for a frozen drink by the pool is ridiculous when you are in Belize. As is paying $5 for a beer when just down the street they are less than $2. I understand marking things up but things were marked up way too much here.

Also, I thought that the service was hit or miss. There were some great servers (we really enjoyed Justin, he was very attentive and nice) but there were some servers who were really bad (slow or just ignored you). We had to go up to the bar multiple times to order lunch or a drink when were at the pool or beach. Hours would go by without anyone checking on you. This would be fine for a lot of places but not when you are one of the most expensive hotels on the island. I would just expect more.

I did enjoy my time here and it was very relaxing but again expected the service to overall be more consistent, thought it was annoying that everything was in US dollars when we were in Belize, and thought the food and drinks offered by the hotel at the bar / pool area were way too overpriced and just average tasting. You are far enough from town that it isn't convenient to go to town for every meal. We mainly just went for dinner and ate breakfast and lunch at the hotel. Our last night at the hotel we had massages on the beach and it was amazing! One of the better massages I've had. Overall, we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shannamll
Reviewed 6 February 2011

We stayed three nights at Victoria House that is nice, the rooms are good, free internet, on the beach, but when we were there was always wind. The restaurant is not bad but could be better. However for us Ambergris Caye is not beautiful, the beach if it is always wind it is not good and the unique advantage is to be far from everything and we can relax. On the other hand when we think about quality/country/service Victoria House is expensive and we can find other places better and less expensive, For us the explanation for this is because it is not far from the USA. but we don´t have any explanation for the fact that Ambergris Caye is in 21st place in Top 25 Destinations in Central & South America in TripAdvisor. Perhaps we had bad three days

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2011

This hotel is amazing. The staff was very attentive and the food was top notch. It was a great way to get away from it all. The island was great, plenty to do, and the snorkling was the best. We can't wait to come back!

Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple