This was our third trip to Matachica (and third trip advisor review). Last November we got engaged on the beautiful dock one night, and we decided we just had to go back there this November to get married and enjoy our honeymoon. We certainly made the right choice.
First off, the resort:
We absolutely fell in love with everything about Matachica on our first visit there. Each time we've gone back, we've been a bit nervous that we will somehow be disappointed, but let me tell you...they just keep getting better and better. Even now with the addition of new casitas, they still maintain that small intimate feeling. The staff, most of whom is the same staff from our first visit there four years ago, are always there with a smile to help with whatever you need. I don't know how they remember, but they always call you by name. The front desk staff is very helpful at arranging outings, boat rides into town, dinner reservations at other restaurants, anything. This time we stayed in the Peach Deluxe Beachfront Casita. (We've also stayed in Plum Deluxe Beachfront and Papaya Beachfront.) It was gorgeous, as always and just steps away from the ocean. The grounds are meticulously maintained, as is the beach. The sea grass on the beach was constantly being swept up starting first thing in the morning. The restaurant food and service was fabulous every time we ate there. The bartenders are always around, whether it's by the pool or in front of the casitas in the beach chairs, ready to take your drink order. Gricel, the manager, continues to run a friendly, efficient, classy, (running out of adjectives here!) ship. He, himself is an approachable, friendly person, and has great taste in the music played the main building.
I was so happy to find out that they added paddleboards. We spent several days playing on the paddleboards and kayaking out to the reef. There is sea grass right up at the shore, but it didn't bother us at all. You can also enter the water from a ladder on the dock and avoid the grass if you prefer. There's huge amounts of wildlife just under their dock so you don't have to venture more than 10 feet from the dock to go snorkeling! We saw moray eels, large eagle and sting rays, barracuda, lion fish, electric rays, and much more right under the Matachica Dock.
The spa is also fabulous. I had another massage this time with Sylvia, who gave me the best massage of my life on my last trip. Once again, she did the second best massage of my life!
Okay, now for the wedding:
As with making your room reservations, Burga is in charge of the wedding scheduling and planning, and she is so friendly and easy to work with. From the very beginning, she made everything so easy and stress-free. Of course, this was a very small wedding - just us and our two witnesses - but she made it so beautiful. Burga took care of everything - the official, the flowers, the cake and champagne, the marriage license paperwork, and the decorations. Any questions we had were answered immediately via email beforehand. She referred a great photographer (Conch Creative) who took some amazing shots on the beautiful grounds (the place really could pass as a botanical garden). We got married on the beach right in front of our casita and Burga made an aisle from our casita porch down to the beach decorated with conch shells and palm fronds. My flowers were absolutely gorgeous; the cake and champagne were fabulous. In fact, we had leftover cake that they stored for us in the fridge and served to us throughout the rest of the week until it was gone. The wedding was so romantic, beautiful and perfect. If you are considering having a wedding there, we highly recommend it!
So expect another review from us next time we go because we WILL be going back as soon as we can!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, MrandMrsSmith, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro