Matachica is the perfect beach resort--super friendly accommodating staff, relaxed sophistication, private accommodations, quiet, well-maintained beautiful grounds on the beach and excellent food. We spent 4 days at this resort having stayed on the mainland at another resort which was the most expensive in the Cayo district and was quite disappointing. I wish we had stayed longer at Matachica. We had researched a number of the best luxury resorts on Ambergris Caye and settled on Matachica and were happy we did. After visiting some of the other resorts during our stay, Matachica was clearly the best resort we saw and exceeded our expectations.
We had a very nice ocean view casita, Blueberry, which was very private and romantic, away from the main building and 50 feet from the ocean. The thatched roof, concrete/tile floor, and island decor was relaxing and inviting. Having stayed at some of the most high-end beach resorts in the world, Matachica is one of the most authentic in island ambience and did not try too hard to be something it is not. If you are looking for more formality akin to a Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons, this resort is probably not for you as it is more informal in its elegance but comparable in service quality. I do wish our casita had better WiFi reception, but did not miss the lack of TV or phone in the casita. The casual sophistication was intoxicating and relaxing and was complemented by a very attentive, friendly staff providing excellent service. Whatever we asked for, they accommodated us consistently with a warm smile and pleasing attitude. Kudos to the management's focus on consistent superior service from reservations, restaurant/bar and the front desk to housekeeping and the activity beach hut.
The food at Mambo restaurant was expensive by Belizean standards but in line with other high-end resorts; however, the quality and presentation of the food was worth the expense. The dining atmosphere with the cool breeze and view over the beach was so relaxing. The ceviche, seafood pasta, crab-stuffed grouper, seafood grill and lobster dishes were all excellent. While the complimentary continental breakfast with fresh orange juice, coffee/tea, pineapple/banana/papaya, muffin/banana bread was good and generously portioned, we also supplemented with the western omelet and Belgian waffle with real maple syrup which did not disappoint. We also tend to be more particular with food due to dietary concerns and Matachica was happy to accommodate our requests.
We took advantage of the complimentary snorkeling gear, paddle boats, bikes, paddle boards, and sea kayaks. Having only a 10-15 minute paddle out to the barrier reef directly in front of the resort made for convenient, great snorkeling. The resort provided semi-private, small tours including snorkeling at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley (both highly recommended) that were surprisingly in line with the prices others charged online without the ususal resort mark-up.
The quiet resort is 5 miles north of lively San Pedro town with its local restaurants and bars filled with tourists and expats but the town is only a 15-minute boat ride away or 25-30 minute bike ride from the resort. I did wish that the resort had more boats scheduled to/from town particularly if you want to stay later in the evening (the last water taxi from town was 10:30pm). Yet, it was nice not to be located too close to the town congestion. We made some nice friends with other couples during our stay at the resort which we will likely stay in touch with.
Overall, Matachica was a perfect beach resort to cap off a wonderful, relaxing vacation in Belize. We plan to return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com and MrandMrsSmith so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro