Wow...what an end to our Honeymoon. We stayed at Lamanai Outpost and Chaa Creek before having 4 nights here. We had been truly spoilt and felt at home at the other resorts and so we were unsure as to whether or not we would enjoy this location as much. We had no need for any such concerns. From the flight from Belize city to San Pedro, to the speedboat to the resort it was a very special trip. It was so different from our experience inland that it cannot be compared. But as far as beach resorts go, we couldn't fault it! I would say that it has a very laid back feel. The whole resort is pretty much based on the beach, removing any need for the use of shoes! It may not be as sharply finished as some high end resorts. But if you are looking for small, secluded, relaxed and laid back then this has everything you want. The individual casistas are tardis like in their appearance as they do not feel small inside. They are unique and well looked after and the addition of a double hammock on the porch allowed lovely evenings of reading on the veranda for us both. The restaurant is lovely, not cheap but the high quality we felt matched the prices. Excellent service. We highly recommend the trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley from the resort which our friends had booked as a suprise before we arrived. We did this first and it then gave us the confidence to go out on the kayaks and snorkel on our own on the reef opposite the hotel. With having such a busy time before our arrival and only being there for 4 nights we didn't take a trip into San Pedro though if we were there longer we would have. It is quite a trip from the Inland and so to do trips to the ruins from there I would suggest would be a long day and would recommend staying at resorts closer to those areas first then come here for some relaxation!
The beach is beautiful, but thanks to the conservation efforts in Belize (Which should be commended) there is sea grass in the sea. I love swimming in the sea and this didn't spoil it for me as you can wade in and then swim or swim off the jetty. Seeing the breakers from the reef from the beach is truly unique and watching the sun set from the bar/restaurant is ideallic.
The pool is also stunning and having sunbeds in the pool, from which you can lie and see the beach was perfect, especially given the heat. It was also always quiet despite the resort being full, we often had the pool to ourselves.
We only spent 11 days in Belize but this was the perfect end to our trip. One of the most amazing things about Belize is the variety of experiences that you can get from one country - we felt that we had three separate holidays in one trip, but at the same time didn't feel that we spent a significant amount of time transferring from one place to another. It says a lot for a country where you can feel so at home in such a short space of time. We couldn't recommend it highly enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Matachica Resort & Spa is an extraordinary, secluded and peaceful resort that sits on the beach facing the Caribbean Sea and the second largest barrier reef on the planet earth. The resort has 27 single unit casitas, each air conditioned with private porch. All rooms except SeaView Cabanas have one king sized bed, SeaView Cabanas have two queens. We also have one two-bedroomm 2-bathroom SeaBreeze Villa. All with beautiful Frette and Matouk linens, and exquisite decor. Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, spa, small gym, sea kayaks, snorkel gear, pedal boats, paddle boards, bicycles, complimentary internet access. A minimum age requirement of 14 years for children applies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Matachica Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matachica Beach Hotel San Pedro
- Matachica Beach San Pedro
- Matachica Resort & Spa Belize/San Pedro