“Belizean Hospitality at its best”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I just returned from Matachica yesterday. We were there for our honeymoon, and without hesitation, we both can say that we could not have made a better choice. First, the setting: if you have never been to Belize, stop everything you're doing and go there right now. It is without a doubt one of the world's most beautiful destinations. Between the Caribbean beaches and the tropic jungles, every possible view seems like a postcard unto itself. Second, the resort: My wife and I are normally the backpacking/hiking type, so we were a bit leery of a tropical beach vacation. However, the staff at Matachica made sure that our honeymoon package would gave us every opportunity to be active throughout the entire week. We went snorkeling at the barrier reef (saw sea turtles...it looked like an episode of Planet Earth...), hiked and visited Mayan ruins deep in the jungle, got a couples massage, and had free reign over sea kayaks, paddle boards, and even a small sail boat. Definitely not a 'sit on the beach with a Piña colada' kind of a week...although, we ended up doing plenty of that too...Third, and most significantly: the staff. The staff at Matachica are among the most responsive, most diligent, and most fun staff I have ever worked with. Special accolades go to Jonathan, Paola, Aby, and Reymundo. Watermelon (our room name) thanks you again for an amazing week!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David K
There are newer reviews for Matachica Resort & Spa

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We arrived at Matachica for the opening of their season- and were consistently surprised/amazed/in-awe at how awesome our experience was all week.

Some of our favorites:
-Beachfront Casita- such a fun experience! Great to have a private little hut (and by hut- it really was a state-of-the-art hut with electricity and running water), right on the beach. Would highly recommend choosing this option.
-Dinner- amazing food, consistently good. Great service- the wait staff was absolutely amazing. They knew our names, they were fun to talk to, our water glasses were never empty, and they made great recommendations when we asked about food and activities.
-Honeymoon Package- we felt it was worth getting the package and would recommend it to other honeymoon travelers. You have activities built in- and it is flexible as to when you do them. Dinner is built it, and we seriously ate like kings all week.

I would like to note that the resort definitely caters to couples; about 90% of the guests that were there with us were also on their honeymoon. We did meet other guests who were not on a honeymoon trip, and from talking with them, they were also having a great experience. Just good to know going in if you are traveling to Matachica just for fun :)

Room Tip: Get a beachfront casita! Awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M C
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I chose this as a blissful end to our Belize adventure. After 5 nights in the jungle, Trip advisor helped me to find this little gem to complete our first vacation together! We opted for a deluxe Beachfront Casita- which ended up being the first one closest to the pier, restaurant, and pool. It was beautiful and private. The bed was like floating on a cloud! Absolutely magical! super spaced out.. The bathroom was beautiful as well. We could just lie in bed and stare at the ocean all day if we wanted to. The staff was amazing. The bartenders were a lot of fun to chat with! The overall charm and mystique of the dining room is like nothing else I have ever experienced.. The strange off the wall enchanting music with the light ocean breeze flowing through.. Definitely the most romantic place I have dined. Food was exceptional and we found out the owners travel the world and bring back a vast assortment of music and other relics on these trips. Definitely a large Asian influence. They add to the resort every year, so its always evolving. The only thing I did not realize when booking this trip is that its an hour and a half boat ride from Belize city.. Once we made it there, it was definitely worth it, but I probably would not have chose this if I had known. Make sure you opt for connecting flights to San Pedro! We went snorkeling while we were here and that was a crazy cool experience!! Sea turtles, eels, stingrays, nurse sharks and a vast array of other fish and plant life. This was my first time snorkeling, and it was almost overwhelming but glad that I did it. We did take a water taxi into town for an afternoon, and I must say I was not a fan of San Pedro. I have done a fair amount of travelling ( with others and alone) and did not feel very safe here. I'm not sure why. Everything is ridiculously over priced (2-3 times what I would pay for it in Canada) and I felt really uncomfortable So we did not spend much time in the city! Not to worry!! The resort was nothing like this.. I am so glad I found this resort. Couldn't imagine our trip ending elsewhere!! This was my husband favorite place. One other thing I didn't realize when we booked for this place was the beginning of tropical weather season! They had 3 strait days of rain before we arrived- The weather was beautiful for us, but it was pretty windy. It howled through our casita pretty good if we didn't close up tight! It was nice because it kept things a little cooler.. And before I forget! We did opt for a spa morning. The massage was quite good, but they do not have a full setup for pedicures which was a little disappointing

Room Tip: We were in the center, and aside from the wind, super quiet! I would spend the lil bit extra to be r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trinanicole
Reviewed 25 September 2013

A blissful place, I'm already planning a return. You have to experience it to believe it.

We arrived via Tropic air, greeted by Matachica staff at the airport and then taken to the boat via golf cart. When the boat docks at Matachica the magical feelings begin. We were greeted on the dock by someone from reception and we received welcome drinks and taken to check in then our Casita. We had an ocean front deluxe Casita, peach. A beautiful room, simple yet elegant, the perfect blend. The setting of the resort is just magical, as soon as we arrived (even though I had a list of restaurants to check out while there) I said I am not leaving this resort and tossed my list away.

Staff and service is beyond exceptional. Front desk staff is incredibly helpful, they are so tactful too. In casual conversation with the front desk we mentioned that we felt slightly warm sleeping the night prior, they quickly arranged and had someone come look at our AC unit. We weren’t even trying to ask for the AC to be checked, we just assumed this is as cool as this room will get. That evening our room was so much cooler than the night before. Also, the day before departing I went to the front desk to let them know what time I need a boat in the morning and I mentioned that I booked the early flight instead of the later ones as my flight home was in the afternoon she said would you like me to change your tropic air flight for you. And she did. This had to be the highlight of my vacation life because everyone knows how special those extra last minutes are! I was in complete awe that they offered and were able to so easily do this..

Compliments and praise goes to the staff at this resort, they sure are the reason people like myself are already planning a return trip. It’s just lovely to be in a gorgeous tropical setting with such amazing people and beautiful personalities. The waiters and bartenders (Israel, Ever, Adam and Jonathan) were truly delightful, incredibly professional and somehow managed to steal our hearts. We owe them a great deal because we had a day of bad weather where we spent the entire day at the bar and it turned out to be an incredibly fun day.

Here are some points I find can be helpful to know ahead of time

• Matachica is about 5/6 miles north of the town of San Pedro if you want to get back and forth into town they your options are
o Call for a private water taxi for a charge
o Take the Coastal express for a charge
o Or take advantage of Matachica’s boats which do go out and back a few times a day, check the schedule board by reception for times and plan your outing accordingly. Works out perfectly. However, in my experience Matachica is so perfect I really never wanted to leave, not even for a single dinner. In fact it’s probably the only place I stayed at so far where I had zero desires to leave the property.
• The official website pictures are on point, and you have TA and other site to verify. The place is beautiful
• Maybe this isn’t the right place for everyone, therefor it is important to do your research, but it’s certainly the perfect place for someone who wants to find a middle ground between luxury and sleeping in a deserted tropical beach.

• Spa has excellent prices and there are tons of free beach activities.

Happy Travels!

3  Thank AdventuresTraveler
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Wow...what an end to our Honeymoon. We stayed at Lamanai Outpost and Chaa Creek before having 4 nights here. We had been truly spoilt and felt at home at the other resorts and so we were unsure as to whether or not we would enjoy this location as much. We had no need for any such concerns. From the flight from Belize city to San Pedro, to the speedboat to the resort it was a very special trip. It was so different from our experience inland that it cannot be compared. But as far as beach resorts go, we couldn't fault it! I would say that it has a very laid back feel. The whole resort is pretty much based on the beach, removing any need for the use of shoes! It may not be as sharply finished as some high end resorts. But if you are looking for small, secluded, relaxed and laid back then this has everything you want. The individual casistas are tardis like in their appearance as they do not feel small inside. They are unique and well looked after and the addition of a double hammock on the porch allowed lovely evenings of reading on the veranda for us both. The restaurant is lovely, not cheap but the high quality we felt matched the prices. Excellent service. We highly recommend the trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley from the resort which our friends had booked as a suprise before we arrived. We did this first and it then gave us the confidence to go out on the kayaks and snorkel on our own on the reef opposite the hotel. With having such a busy time before our arrival and only being there for 4 nights we didn't take a trip into San Pedro though if we were there longer we would have. It is quite a trip from the Inland and so to do trips to the ruins from there I would suggest would be a long day and would recommend staying at resorts closer to those areas first then come here for some relaxation!
The beach is beautiful, but thanks to the conservation efforts in Belize (Which should be commended) there is sea grass in the sea. I love swimming in the sea and this didn't spoil it for me as you can wade in and then swim or swim off the jetty. Seeing the breakers from the reef from the beach is truly unique and watching the sun set from the bar/restaurant is ideallic.
The pool is also stunning and having sunbeds in the pool, from which you can lie and see the beach was perfect, especially given the heat. It was also always quiet despite the resort being full, we often had the pool to ourselves.
We only spent 11 days in Belize but this was the perfect end to our trip. One of the most amazing things about Belize is the variety of experiences that you can get from one country - we felt that we had three separate holidays in one trip, but at the same time didn't feel that we spent a significant amount of time transferring from one place to another. It says a lot for a country where you can feel so at home in such a short space of time. We couldn't recommend it highly enough!

Room Tip: We stayed in Grape. It was one of the basic (so cheaper) casitas. Yes we didn't have a sea vie...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Katewillo
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I stayed recently stayed 4 nights at Matachica, as part of our Belizean vacation, and we cannot wait to go back! We stayed in Peach, a beachfront casita - which I highly recommend. We woke up every morning to a sunrise on the beach, and didn't even have to get out of bed. We left all our windows and door open all the time. The wind from the ocean kept everything cool and created a cross draft through the casita. I was very scared of the mosquito problem, and I had nothing to worry about. Between the draft through the room and the mosquito incense provided, I did not get stung once. However, when I took a walk through the property - pass the pool, they found me right away. (So, I will always be beachfront). It was nice that the resort had kayaks, paddle boats, and snorkel gear for guests to use. A quick row to the reef gave way to beautiful snorkeling. It is a ride to get to San Pedro, but it is definitely worth staying further out. If you don't use the resort shuttle, the water taxi is a pain; it has to stop at what seemed like every dock to pick up passengers. Also, I wish the resort had shuttles that ran beyond 6:30pm. After our water taxi experience to town, we made sure to catch the last boat, every time. Thus, we missed out on night life in San Pedro.
This gave us a chance to explore the beach north and south of the resort, and we found several bars and restaurants to try. I understand that the resort is undergoing renovations in September. We cannot wait to go back to Matachica to check out the new digs!

Room Tip: Stay on the beach. The ocean breeze keeps you cool and the bugs away. The view is worth it.
1  Thank Yu-hsien H
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We recently visited Matachica and loved every minute of our stay. They waste no time getting you relaxed here - welcome cocktails were waiting for us as we stepped on their dock, and we loved the no tv/no phone vibe. Each staff member was super friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. They do a great job keeping track of any activities you want to do, even if you don't book them through the hotel, without being intrusive.

The resort is located about 5 miles (~10 boat ride) north of San Pedro, where most of the shops and bars are located, so it isn't exactly around the corner. But the resort runs several free shuttles to and from town each day, and there is also a water taxi which cost $10 US per person which also will drop you off there. On one hand, this is a bit inconvenient, but its also part of what gives Matachica its mellow off the beaten track feel. While you could definitely stay at Matachica for a week without leaving, you should definitely take a few trips in to San Pedro - the town felt pretty safe with just enough sketchiness to be interesting.

The resort ground are immaculately maintained and full of beautiful foliage and friendly critters like hermit crabs and small lizards. You are in the tropics, so we expected some bugs, but we didn't encounter any besides a few stray ants and moths in our room. We didn't share the same issues with mosquito that some other reviewers have mentioned - I honestly didn't get bit once.

The rooms themselves are these cute little bungalows with thatched roofs which are partitioned into a bedroom, bathroom, and large closet. There are no glass windows, only screens, but there are wooden slates which provide privacy and keep some cool air inside. Each room has an air conditioner which was plenty powerful enough to keep up comfortable at night despite the open room design.

The restaurant and bar here are not cheap - prices are comparable to NYC - but everything we had was fantastically prepared. Tons of fresh seafood (the stuffed grouper and lobster were favorites) and excellent deserts (you just have to try the flan and souffle!). The bar serves up excellent classic cocktails as well as tropical twists like a coconut mojito. But at four times the price of what you'd pay for one in town, beer seemed quite expensive.

We're not usually the types to go for spa treatments, but we splurged here and were not disappointed. Try the Mayan coffee scrub for a truly relaxing Belizean experience!

Overall, staying at Matachica felt totally luxurious yet also rustic and mellow. It's the perfect spot for a romantic beach getaway. I'd go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Even though we were in a Sea Breeze Bungalow (Banana), which didn't have a clear view of the sea...
1  Thank videoordvd