“I dare you to find a better honeymoon spot”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Matachica is the premier spot for your honeymoon in Belize. Situated about five miles north of San Pedro on Ambergris Caye, Matachica offers everything you want, need and expect from a beachfront resort. We stayed on a one week honeymoon package during the first week of October and it was nothing short of perfect. Opt for the beachfront casita and wake up every morning to the sun coming up over the Caribbean. Comfortable beds, beautiful showers and plenty of space for a couple. Relax on your personal beachfront lounge chairs or on the hammock in front of your casita, either ways it's picture perfect and very relaxing. The pool and hot tub are excellent. The excursions are exciting and well worth it. The honeymoon package offers a trip to Lamanai, deep in the jungle, as well as snorkeling and swimming with sharks at Hol Chan Marine Reserve along the world's second longest barrier reef. Take advantage of these awesome excursions as they are absolutely worth every penny!

Now to the most important part....food and booze! Matachica offers the best restaurant on the entire island. We were there for a week, breakfast and dinner every day. Every single meal was delicious and they made special accommodations for my vegetarian, gluten-intolerant wife (a challenge in the US). How do I know the Mambo restaurant was the best? Every night we saw boats arrive from other resorts dropping people off for dinner at Matachica.

The staff is excellent. English is widely spoken in Belize so there is no language barrier. The staff is very knowledgable about the island, the mainland and they are very, very friendly. They always went above and beyond to satisfy us and it was much appreciated throughout our stay.

If you are going to Belize and plan on going to Ambergris, Matachica is the place for you!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Matachica Resort & Spa

Reviewed 18 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Matachica between Oct 11 and 14, 2013. The resort was just amazingly beautiful. All the casitas were in close proximity to the beach, the ocean was crystal blue from the shore to further than we could see, the staff was super friendly and helpful, and the décor in the resort was great. The sand on the beach and within the resort gets brushed all the time and the trees and foliage were beautiful! The resort was luxurious and relaxing, and it is the first resort I’ve ever been to that made me feel like I want to go back.

We originally booked a Sea Breeze Suite, but there was a problem with our room on the first day so we were put into a Sea Breeze Bungalow (downgrade from the Sea Breeze Suite) for the first night, and a Reef View Suite (slight upgrade from the Sea Breeze Suite) for the last 2 nights. I strongly recommend people to stay in the suites that are equivalent to or bigger than the Reef View Suites. The Sea Breeze Bungalow (350 sq ft) felt small and crammed, and the windows (just shutters) weren’t sealed when you close them so the air conditioning kept escaping the room and we were always a bit too warm when we were inside our room. The Reef View Suite we stayed in (Aqua) was amazing though! For starters, it was big (550 sq ft) compared to the Sea Breeze Bungalow, had extra doors to better seal the windows, and it was just beautiful and comfortable.

There are lots of complimentary activities that you could do at Matachica, including kayaking, paddle boating, pedal boats, and snorkelling. Lots of people went snorkelling at the reef facing Matachica. You could do this by kayaking to the buoys (took about 15 to 20 minutes), anchor your kayak to the buoy, then swim about 30 ft towards the breakers and you’d see the reef. We saw so many fish at the reef! The coral wasn’t amazing but the variety of fish was awesome!

We did the Hol Chan Reserve and Shark and Ray Alley snorkelling tour through White Sands Dive Shop because there wasn’t enough people signed up at Matachica to do the tour (minimum 6 people). I thought the tour was quite short, as it was only about 2 to 2.5 hours long (excluding time on the speed boat). At Hol Chan, we saw the same types of fish as when we snorkelled at the reef in front of Matachica, plus parrot fish, sea turtles, moray eel, snappers (huge ones), etc. The stop at the Shark and Ray Alley was really short. The nurse sharks and rays were great to see, and our guide, Jerry, grabbed onto the sharks and rays so that we could touch them!

Food at the Mambo was awesome! They had a great selection of appetizers, entrees, and desserts! The lime stuffed grouper was especially delicious. The prices were quite high though, as we were spending about USD$100 to $120 per meal (2 appetizers, 2 entrees, 1 dessert, 1 cocktail, 1 fruit juice). If you want to try Belizean cuisine or have cheaper meals, you could try the restaurants in San Pedro. We had lunch at the Waruguma and ice cream at Manelly’s. Food at Waruguma was decent. I’ve definitely had better rice and beans when we were in Hopkins, Belize.

If you want to go visit San Pedro, you can either take the complimentary speed boat from Matachica or the water taxi (~ USD$10 per person one way). Make sure you check the Matachica boat schedule every day as it changes depending on arrival and departure schedules of the guests.

We read in other reviews that the mosquitoes and sand flies were horrendous in Belize. So we made sure that we sprayed ourselves with mosquito repellent (either the ones with DEET or the all-natural oil one that we got from the Belize City airport). We also got Itch-A-Way (available at gift shops), which worked really well on the few mosquito bites we had.

Room Tip: Pick the casitas that are at least 550 sq ft, which include all the casitas except for the Sea Breez...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sheep227
Reviewed 18 October 2013

The Matachica was amazing. We had a wonderful vacation here, and I can't imagine a much better resort. The resort was recommended to me by a good friend and it met and exceeded all expectatons. I recommend it to anyone who asks for a vacation recommendation.

The casitas are great. They are private and have more of the feel of home than you get at a larger resort. They are simple in their design but still have everything you need or want. Each casita has its own hammock out front for relaxing. They also have seating areas in which to relax or eat in the room. The casitas aren't numbered, they are named, which adds to the comfortable and intimate feel of the resort. Staying at the Matachica is what I would picture if I was asked to imagine an ideal life (well, maybe I would add waves). While you are at the Matachica, the staff will get to know you. It is a great departure from the larger luxury resorts we tend to go to.

The staff was phenominal. As I said, they will get to know you. We tend to wake up late, right around the time that resorts tend to stop serving breakfast. The staff quickly caught on and helped me get breakfast and coffee each day to take back to the casita as they were closing up. The food was great. My wife still raves about some of the pasta dishes. Also, we were there over Thanksgiving. We went in to town and aimed to get back before the kitchen closed. Unfortunately, we didn't make it, so we were bummed that we were going to bed without eating. To our surprise, the chef was still there and offered to make us dinner even though they had closed. You just don't see that kind of service most places. The staff here simply goes above and beyond to make your time there amazing.

One of the other great things about Belize is that there is really a lot to do there. From snorkeling or scuba diving to visting Mayan ruins, there are really a lot of options. The hotel has a good amount of tours to offer and the staff is helpful in picking the right options.

The only downside to this resort is that it is pretty remote. In the end, we thought it was also a benefit, but the location isn't necessarily convenient. Traveling in from LA, it took a full day which included multiple flights and ended with the resort's boat taking us to the resort. If you want to go to town, you have to get on the resort's water taxi or get your own water taxi. The hotel provides a lot of options with their water taxi and is otherwise helpful in getting you into town and back, but it isn't the most convenient thing.

I wholeheartedly recommend the Matachica. We will go back. After staying at the Matachica, my perspective on resorts has changed. I have become a huge fan of smaller, more unique resorts instead of the standard luxury resort.

Room Tip: In reality, all the rooms are great. We stayed in a reef-view casita. It was in the second row, so...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My wife and I just returned from Matachica yesterday. We were there for our honeymoon, and without hesitation, we both can say that we could not have made a better choice. First, the setting: if you have never been to Belize, stop everything you're doing and go there right now. It is without a doubt one of the world's most beautiful destinations. Between the Caribbean beaches and the tropic jungles, every possible view seems like a postcard unto itself. Second, the resort: My wife and I are normally the backpacking/hiking type, so we were a bit leery of a tropical beach vacation. However, the staff at Matachica made sure that our honeymoon package would gave us every opportunity to be active throughout the entire week. We went snorkeling at the barrier reef (saw sea turtles...it looked like an episode of Planet Earth...), hiked and visited Mayan ruins deep in the jungle, got a couples massage, and had free reign over sea kayaks, paddle boards, and even a small sail boat. Definitely not a 'sit on the beach with a Piña colada' kind of a week...although, we ended up doing plenty of that too...Third, and most significantly: the staff. The staff at Matachica are among the most responsive, most diligent, and most fun staff I have ever worked with. Special accolades go to Jonathan, Paola, Aby, and Reymundo. Watermelon (our room name) thanks you again for an amazing week!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank David K
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We arrived at Matachica for the opening of their season- and were consistently surprised/amazed/in-awe at how awesome our experience was all week.

Some of our favorites:
-Beachfront Casita- such a fun experience! Great to have a private little hut (and by hut- it really was a state-of-the-art hut with electricity and running water), right on the beach. Would highly recommend choosing this option.
-Dinner- amazing food, consistently good. Great service- the wait staff was absolutely amazing. They knew our names, they were fun to talk to, our water glasses were never empty, and they made great recommendations when we asked about food and activities.
-Honeymoon Package- we felt it was worth getting the package and would recommend it to other honeymoon travelers. You have activities built in- and it is flexible as to when you do them. Dinner is built it, and we seriously ate like kings all week.

I would like to note that the resort definitely caters to couples; about 90% of the guests that were there with us were also on their honeymoon. We did meet other guests who were not on a honeymoon trip, and from talking with them, they were also having a great experience. Just good to know going in if you are traveling to Matachica just for fun :)

Room Tip: Get a beachfront casita! Awesome!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M C
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I chose this as a blissful end to our Belize adventure. After 5 nights in the jungle, Trip advisor helped me to find this little gem to complete our first vacation together! We opted for a deluxe Beachfront Casita- which ended up being the first one closest to the pier, restaurant, and pool. It was beautiful and private. The bed was like floating on a cloud! Absolutely magical! super spaced out.. The bathroom was beautiful as well. We could just lie in bed and stare at the ocean all day if we wanted to. The staff was amazing. The bartenders were a lot of fun to chat with! The overall charm and mystique of the dining room is like nothing else I have ever experienced.. The strange off the wall enchanting music with the light ocean breeze flowing through.. Definitely the most romantic place I have dined. Food was exceptional and we found out the owners travel the world and bring back a vast assortment of music and other relics on these trips. Definitely a large Asian influence. They add to the resort every year, so its always evolving. The only thing I did not realize when booking this trip is that its an hour and a half boat ride from Belize city.. Once we made it there, it was definitely worth it, but I probably would not have chose this if I had known. Make sure you opt for connecting flights to San Pedro! We went snorkeling while we were here and that was a crazy cool experience!! Sea turtles, eels, stingrays, nurse sharks and a vast array of other fish and plant life. This was my first time snorkeling, and it was almost overwhelming but glad that I did it. We did take a water taxi into town for an afternoon, and I must say I was not a fan of San Pedro. I have done a fair amount of travelling ( with others and alone) and did not feel very safe here. I'm not sure why. Everything is ridiculously over priced (2-3 times what I would pay for it in Canada) and I felt really uncomfortable So we did not spend much time in the city! Not to worry!! The resort was nothing like this.. I am so glad I found this resort. Couldn't imagine our trip ending elsewhere!! This was my husband favorite place. One other thing I didn't realize when we booked for this place was the beginning of tropical weather season! They had 3 strait days of rain before we arrived- The weather was beautiful for us, but it was pretty windy. It howled through our casita pretty good if we didn't close up tight! It was nice because it kept things a little cooler.. And before I forget! We did opt for a spa morning. The massage was quite good, but they do not have a full setup for pedicures which was a little disappointing

Room Tip: We were in the center, and aside from the wind, super quiet! I would spend the lil bit extra to be r...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trinanicole
Reviewed 25 September 2013

A blissful place, I'm already planning a return. You have to experience it to believe it.

We arrived via Tropic air, greeted by Matachica staff at the airport and then taken to the boat via golf cart. When the boat docks at Matachica the magical feelings begin. We were greeted on the dock by someone from reception and we received welcome drinks and taken to check in then our Casita. We had an ocean front deluxe Casita, peach. A beautiful room, simple yet elegant, the perfect blend. The setting of the resort is just magical, as soon as we arrived (even though I had a list of restaurants to check out while there) I said I am not leaving this resort and tossed my list away.

Staff and service is beyond exceptional. Front desk staff is incredibly helpful, they are so tactful too. In casual conversation with the front desk we mentioned that we felt slightly warm sleeping the night prior, they quickly arranged and had someone come look at our AC unit. We weren’t even trying to ask for the AC to be checked, we just assumed this is as cool as this room will get. That evening our room was so much cooler than the night before. Also, the day before departing I went to the front desk to let them know what time I need a boat in the morning and I mentioned that I booked the early flight instead of the later ones as my flight home was in the afternoon she said would you like me to change your tropic air flight for you. And she did. This had to be the highlight of my vacation life because everyone knows how special those extra last minutes are! I was in complete awe that they offered and were able to so easily do this..

Compliments and praise goes to the staff at this resort, they sure are the reason people like myself are already planning a return trip. It’s just lovely to be in a gorgeous tropical setting with such amazing people and beautiful personalities. The waiters and bartenders (Israel, Ever, Adam and Jonathan) were truly delightful, incredibly professional and somehow managed to steal our hearts. We owe them a great deal because we had a day of bad weather where we spent the entire day at the bar and it turned out to be an incredibly fun day.

Here are some points I find can be helpful to know ahead of time

• Matachica is about 5/6 miles north of the town of San Pedro if you want to get back and forth into town they your options are
o Call for a private water taxi for a charge
o Take the Coastal express for a charge
o Or take advantage of Matachica’s boats which do go out and back a few times a day, check the schedule board by reception for times and plan your outing accordingly. Works out perfectly. However, in my experience Matachica is so perfect I really never wanted to leave, not even for a single dinner. In fact it’s probably the only place I stayed at so far where I had zero desires to leave the property.
• The official website pictures are on point, and you have TA and other site to verify. The place is beautiful
• Maybe this isn’t the right place for everyone, therefor it is important to do your research, but it’s certainly the perfect place for someone who wants to find a middle ground between luxury and sleeping in a deserted tropical beach.

• Spa has excellent prices and there are tons of free beach activities.

Happy Travels!