Matachica Resort & Spa
US$337
Caribbean Villas Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$188
US$144
Banyan Bay Suites(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$169
SunBreeze Hotel(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$224
US$216
  • Pool
US$334
  • Breakfast included
US$419
US$410
  • Pool
White Sands Cove Resort(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$126
US$392
US$359
Caye Casa(San Pedro)(Great Value!)
US$190
US$156
Hotels.com
The Phoenix Resort(San Pedro)
US$382
Official Site
1,032 results
All reviewsmata chicabeachfront casitajade spaour honeymoonview suitegaia riverlodgewater taxiambergris cayefishpaddle boatscoconut mojitomain buildingmosquito nettingsea breezerojo barminute boat rideturn down service
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had a fantastic time at the Matachica. Everyone who works there was friendly and went out of their way to make this a memorable and relaxing vacation.

Ate dinner at the restaurant every night--yes, it is a bit pricey but the food was good. Service was fantastic.

The included breakfast was more than enough for us every day.

We went to San Pedro one day and stayed for less than an hour---couldn't wait to get back to Matachica. If you are looking to go to town every day and stay out late, you will have to get yourself back at night but since we relaxed at the hotel every day (and never once got bored!) we didn't have to worry about it.

Definitely take the kayaks out to the reef. Unbelievable experience being able to kayak out on your own and snorkel at such a nice reef.

We stayed in two different rooms (because our 1st room was not available the last two nights--something we knew about in advance and the staff made sure that moving rooms was not an inconvenience at all)

The first was the Reef View Suite and the second was the Sea View Cabanas.

Both were great but if I come back, I'd definitely go with the Reef View Suite again. Worth it. We found the breeze to be nice and actually loved that it was not directly on the beach--felt more private and didn't have as many people walking right in front of it. Loved the room.

Minor negatives:
We arranged a snorkeling tour with the hotel. The tour was great but for a place that touts itself as eco-friendly we were a bit bummed that our guide didn't really point anything out to us and allowed/encouraged other guests to touch and grab and bother the sea life. I saw this several times and while the snorkeling was great, it wasn't great to see others disrupting the fish and marine life like that.

It's a minor negative but I'd love to see more of an emphasis on preserving that incredible place.

Over all though, this was a fantastic vacation. It was exactly what we were looking for--total relaxation, beautiful resort and area and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Reef View Suites are very nice and I felt that they were actually a bit more private that the ones directly on the beach---not as many people walking in front of your room. Still a good breeze though.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fsgnyc
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We just had an amazing vacation at the Matachica Resort & Spa last week, it was probably one of the best vacations we've had to just relax, decompress, and get off the grid for a week. The staff was wonderful, very attentive, and helped with all our tours to the Mayan ruins on the mainland, fishing, snorkeling, etc. The web site doesn't do the property justice as it was even more than we expected, beautiful grounds, great staff, great food, quiet, and no kids. We topped off the trip with a massage, as we reluctantly prepared to fly home to the states. As we left we already started taking about a return trip next year, thinking about a couple of days at their sister lodge in the forest reserve, and then back to Matachica. You definitely need to put this on your bucket list!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at their Reef View Suite with king bed, very large, comfortable and private, would select this again. A/C worked great, very quiet at night, nice gently breeze, with relaxing hammock in front.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I can't begin to describe how wonderful, relaxing, fantastic, etc., etc., this resort is. We were there for a week celebrating our 30th anniversary and barely left the property because there's so much to do - Matachica itself is a destination. You can read all the wonderful reviews (I agree with them all) so I won't repeat what they've all said. What I'll do instead is respond to the few criticisms I've seen listed in the reviews. I'm doing this because before we went I read many of them and wondered just how true they might be. So here goes:

-- Some people reported inadequate air conditioning in their casita: Our casita (Guava) was very well air conditioned and a few nights I even had to turn the a/c down or off because it was so cool. I think the comments may result from some other casitas not having such efficient systems, so I suggest asking the desk for one with "good" air conditioning.

Mosquitos: I had exactly one bite, the last night of our stay, and only once saw a few flies. I think the key is that when the wind blows from the ocean, it keeps the bugs away; when it blows from the land, it pushes them out of the mangroves (like many beaches - we've found the same at our family beach place on the Jersey shore). Not much anyone can do about this. Matachica DOES spray and offers cans of Off in each room (which we never used). I suggest bringing a bottle of near-100 percent deet spray, just in case (we did; never used it).

Loud music: I never heard music that was too loud or which bothered me - ever. And believe me, I'm the kind of guy who is easily annoyed by others' music. The music played in the main lodge was never loud and always appropriate for the tropical setting (whether classical, island, Euro, or seafaring music). Maybe the casitas closest to the lodge could hear it, but even that I doubt.

Lack of night life: This brings me to my main point - Matachica is a laid-back, relaxing, fun place to be - it is not a hopping, singles, party-a-minute place. If that's what you want, stay elsewhere. The website is very clear about what Matachica is, so go prepared to relax or don't go. There IS plenty to do at night - walk along the beach, gaze at the stars, read, watch a movie in the lodge, meet others in the bar to learn about their lives, lounge in the pool's hot tub, talk with your wife (gasp!), or partake of, uh, "other nighttime activities." Spring break party? - no. Wonderful and fun? - yes!

I could go on and on about our snorkeling trip, my fishing adventure, our couples' massage, our trips to San Pedro, relaxing by the pool, the WONDERFUL staff, our brush with an international murder mystery (the former McAfee place is only four houses south from Matachica - look for the deep blue roof), but others have already done that. Now go have YOUR OWN adventure in the tropical paradise that IS Matachica!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sea Breeze Suites, which are behind the pool. We couldn't get one of the ocean-front places (all booked), but don't at all regret being in this section. It's all wonderful!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trmdwelk
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stumbled upon this hotel by chance -- we were late in making Spring travel plans, and this was the only hotel that had a two bedroom suite available.

We were traveling with our 13-year-old and had the Villa house. It is an elevated house, with two bedrooms, two full baths, two screened in porches, a living room/kitchen, and a very nice deck. We had a great view of the ocean and the lunar eclipse. The rooms are beautifully decorated and very comfortable. Wifi is not available in the rooms, but that gave us a chance to read and talk and utterly relax.

I was very surprised by the kitchen -- the food was quite good. I have been to plenty of island resorts that seem intent on frying everything. We stuck to fish and were never disappointed -- it was fresh and well-prepared with fresh herbs and vegetables. Someone knew enough to let good quality ingredients speak for themselves.

The hotel is the perfect combination of low-key comfort with and utter relaxation. The staff is absolutely fantastic, and seem genuinely intent on you having a good time. There is a beautiful dock with chairs and loungers, as well as umbrellas and loungers along the beach. Snorkeling gear, kayaks, bicycles, sail boats, and paddle boards are all available free of charge. There is also a very nice pool and hot tub.

Coming from a high-stress environment, we chose to mostly hang out and watch the sky and water. We did some water activity, and the hotel arranged a snorkeling trip for us. Mainly, we just read and swam and got reacquainted as a family. The hotel staff did a great job taking care of everything we could want.

I look forward to going back to Matachica -- it is warm, welcoming, and the perfect place to relax surrounded by natural beauty.

Room Tip: Two-bedroom villa is excellent for families and privacy.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MLP0316
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Matachica was just right for our needs, and we spent a brilliant week there in March. We wanted a resort that was on the smaller side and Matachica fit that bill just right. We also wanted a location that was not too far from San Pedro that getting to town or scuba shops would be a problem. Nor was it too close to town either, allowing us to enjoy a sense of being away from it all. Still, its location also benefits from being close enough to take a stroll along the beach to some other restaurants in the evenings for variety. In the end, we only spent one afternoon in San Pedro because all of our needs were met in and around the resort, at dive and snorkel sites, and on a mainland tour. Although our needs were not great, their personalized service and attention to their guests' needs was evident in everything that they did from the moment that we identified ourselves at the airport in San Pedro where their staff picked us up to the moment that they dropped us back off at the airport a week later. They did their jobs so well that we most assuredly did not want to leave when our week was up. We loved the cabana accommodations and only wished that we had made our reservations sooner in order to get one of the beachfront options to take even more advantage of the gorgeous views. The concierges ably assisted us with planning and coordinating our daytime adventures, just as the beach staff did the same when we stayed at the resort. We particularly enjoyed taking out the kayaks to the offshore reef and snorkelling out there on a couple of occasions. My girlfriend doesn't dive, but she sure did enjoy seeing all of the beautiful and varied marine life that is just 800 yds. in front of the resort. They even came out to retrieve us in a powerboat as a late afternoon storm approached. It was not necessary as we were not in any immediate danger. We were aware of the changing conditions and were prepared for a more challenging paddle to get back in, but the point is that they were very much aware of their guests, and they wanted to make sure that we had a great, safe experience. Similarly, my girlfriend took advantage of the beach service to enjoy some refreshing beverages while enjoying her book in a chaise lounge to the sound of the waters gently lapping the shores with the omnipresent breeze washing over her. The infinity pool and hot tub also added to our experiences--the warmth of the waters was just the right tonic after being out in the sea for an extended period of time. The food at the restaurant ranged from excellent to merely good (the continental breakfast), but the vast majority of it fell squarely into the category of the former, so we didn't eat too many meals elsewhere. Just thinking about the lunches and dinners reminds me that I am going to have to try to re-create some of those dishes. The rest of the grounds were generally very well appointed, and we particularly enjoyed the international feel created by the decor and the music in the central areas. The gym isn't great, but it is functional and so it added another layer of value to our stay. All in all, our time in Belize and at the resort fulfilled all of our hopes, and we eagerly look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple