“Pure Perfection”

Matachica Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 4 May 2014

From the moment we stepped off the plane the airport, to when we walked onto the dock at Matachica, we knew we found the perfect place to stay. Matachica and their staff truly work hard to make sure their resort remains the best place to stay on the island. And believe me, it is.

My husband and i just ended a week at Matachica and the only negative thing I can say is that I now have the Matachica Blues - I miss it already!! We stayed for a week in a sea breeze suite, casita Lime, which could not have been more perfect. Our room was delightful with plenty of space, cool AC and a bed that was almost more comfortable than my own at home! Each afternoon it was so nice to come back, relax in the AC or swing in the hammock and read a book. Each casita just screams relaxation and welcomeness - I don't think there is a bad casita in the entire resort. Definitely check out the spa, we had a couples massage that was so peaceful and relaxing, I would have one every day if i could.

Although there are many activities to do, we were hard pressed to take us out of relaxation mode, we enjoyed the resort so much. We did however, book a snorkeling trip with Charlie, who was an absolutely fabulous host. He made sure everyone was near him while he pointed out all the beautiful sights to see underwater. Snorkeling at Hol Chan Marine Reserve was the best snorkeling I have ever seen, such beautiful colors and arrays of fish. Shark Ray Alley was also a must see - I have never seen so many nurse sharks or ever had the opportunity to swim with them.

We ventured into town a few times, the first was by bike and the second by boat, we stopped at Elvi's Kitchen for a wonderful bit to eat. The resort is five miles away from San Pedro and I never once wished we were closer. Majority of our days we ate at Mambo Restaurant, which was always so delicious. Everything you are served from the tortillas, fresh fish and baked goods are all homemade. Each meal we had was super fresh and more spectacular than the one before it. Our favorites were the guacamole, snapper on skewers, tequila fish tacos and whole roasted snapper. We only hope we can recreate some of the recipes at home. Also, make sure you sip on a coconut mojito with your dinner, its a perfect pairing.

While the resort is beautiful and the restaurant five stars, it is the staff that makes Matachica so special. Our entire stay, we felt and were treated like family, something my husband and I have never experienced while traveling abroad. Anita, Ever, Israel, Josecarlo, Sam and countless others were so kind and so helpful throughout our entire stay. To everyone at the resort, thank you for helping to make our vacation so wonderful. We can't wait to see you all again soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sjyonkowski
Write a ReviewReviews (1,002)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Matachica last weekend celebrating our wedding anniversary and were very pleased with the facilities and the staff was wonderful. My main disappointment came after we checked out and we discovered they charged us U$S 60 for lost equipment and this is what happened. We went kayaking and unfortunately our kayak flipped over in the middle of the ocean, right before the reef. We managed to get our sunglasses and my snorkeling equipment but a pair of fins and googles just was taken by the sea. We swam and tried to get it but could not so we ended up losing it. When we came back to the beach, the water staff employee told us that there was probably going to be a small charge for losing it. To our surprise when we checked out, they charged us U$S60 for used fins and googles. I do not call that a small charge. Funny thing was the next day we were fishing and found one of the fins several miles away along the cost of Captain Morgan's and we did return it to Matachica. Honestly, this is a high end resort and this was an accident we had in the ocean. I think they factor these type of risks in the rates they apply. I would have been willing to pay U$S20 for used fins but U$S60 seemed not right.

4  Thank Mirta1970
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We were a group of seven and one of us (my mother) is handicapped. She walks with a cane and has a very difficult time with stairs. Matachica is definitely not for the handicapped. There are stairs everywhere and I mean everywhere so if you have a hard time with stairs, pick another location. None of the stairs have hand rails either which made things doubly difficult. All of the casitas have stairs, there are stairs to get to the casitas and there are stairs once you get inside as well. There are stairs to get the bathrooms in the main dining room, there is no avoiding them.

That being said, the staff was superb. Sam, our waiter was just so wonderful, always at the ready with whatever we needed. All the staff was so friendly and courteous. The front desk staff was terrific and arranged for two different, terrific excursions for us (do not miss Hol Chan).

Matachica provides kayaks, snorkeling gear, fishing equipment, paddle boats, paddle boards, bicycles and sail boards. It was just terrific. We also got a pedicure at the spa that was well done and relaxing. The fresh water pool was relaxing and beautiful after a day in the ocean and having a pina colada brought to you while you tanned was heavenly.

The rooms were restful and well decorated, the A.C. worked well and the compound was quiet and peaceful. It's a vacation I won't soon forget.

Room Tip: We were in the Luxury Villa since we needed two bedrooms. It also had two bathrooms and a small livi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Just got back and boy do we miss the place.All that has been said by others who have been are spot on.Matachica have the best staff that you can ever meet nothing at all was to much trouble if you sit on the beach they come around with ice cold water they get you anything you want with a smile and no problem is the reply .We met some fantastic people {I mean other guests}that became instant friends British and Americans all having a great time as if they had known each other for years its all down to the relaxing place called Matachica. We swam with nurse sharks rays other types of fish we went fishing we swam we chilled we just did what we wanted to do and did it very well.I will say that we went to San pedro one night for the chicken drop and walked away after watching young girls drunk and throwing a chicken about for everybodys entertainment not really my thing to watch an animal in that much distress so stayed about 5 minutes then went.We had been invited to a meal before San pedro at a fly fishing lodge along from Matachica by some American friends and I can only say that we could have stayed all night what a great bunch of people so friendly with great stories and good food thankyou for letting us into your lodge.We went to the Palapa bar one afternoon with a gang of us and that place can give you a good time with good food plenty of drink, tubes to float in the sea as they send buckets of beer down on ropes a great place.i only have one negative which to me and others was annoying and strange we decided to go to Rojos one night next door to Matachica with a gang of us and had beers cocktails and very nice pizzas only to be told to drink up as they are closing and this was at 09.55 and the place had at least 10 or more people in it very strange so we went back to Matachica and found that they also had closed the bar but they called back the barman whose name was Ever who asked us what we wanted he provided it in his own time and with no fuss, what a wonderful person he was, so of we went with buckets of beer and wine and not to upset anybody plodded of to the top of the walkway where the boats are and just chilled and chatted till 03.00 in the morning.the next night we went back to Rojos at about 10.00pm with a gang of us and the owner I think said we are closed and would not help us we said you have people already in the bar drinking so why can you not serve us but said I have done my cash till and that's that so go to Matachica and get your drinks man that bloke does have a problem and how he keeps going I do not know so we did go to Matachica and did the same as the night before and once again the great staff at the resort did what they are good at,so my personal opinion is give that Rojos a miss I am sure people will like it but its not for me.Matachica is the place I will never forget and would go back in an instant.

Room Tip: Found our room to be very nice we had Banana but there is another resort near that side and did have...
1  Thank podheads
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Had a fantastic time at the Matachica. Everyone who works there was friendly and went out of their way to make this a memorable and relaxing vacation.

Ate dinner at the restaurant every night--yes, it is a bit pricey but the food was good. Service was fantastic.

The included breakfast was more than enough for us every day.

We went to San Pedro one day and stayed for less than an hour---couldn't wait to get back to Matachica. If you are looking to go to town every day and stay out late, you will have to get yourself back at night but since we relaxed at the hotel every day (and never once got bored!) we didn't have to worry about it.

Definitely take the kayaks out to the reef. Unbelievable experience being able to kayak out on your own and snorkel at such a nice reef.

We stayed in two different rooms (because our 1st room was not available the last two nights--something we knew about in advance and the staff made sure that moving rooms was not an inconvenience at all)

The first was the Reef View Suite and the second was the Sea View Cabanas.

Both were great but if I come back, I'd definitely go with the Reef View Suite again. Worth it. We found the breeze to be nice and actually loved that it was not directly on the beach--felt more private and didn't have as many people walking right in front of it. Loved the room.

Minor negatives:
We arranged a snorkeling tour with the hotel. The tour was great but for a place that touts itself as eco-friendly we were a bit bummed that our guide didn't really point anything out to us and allowed/encouraged other guests to touch and grab and bother the sea life. I saw this several times and while the snorkeling was great, it wasn't great to see others disrupting the fish and marine life like that.

It's a minor negative but I'd love to see more of an emphasis on preserving that incredible place.

Over all though, this was a fantastic vacation. It was exactly what we were looking for--total relaxation, beautiful resort and area and I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The Reef View Suites are very nice and I felt that they were actually a bit more private that the on...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fsgnyc
Reviewed 25 April 2014

We just had an amazing vacation at the Matachica Resort & Spa last week, it was probably one of the best vacations we've had to just relax, decompress, and get off the grid for a week. The staff was wonderful, very attentive, and helped with all our tours to the Mayan ruins on the mainland, fishing, snorkeling, etc. The web site doesn't do the property justice as it was even more than we expected, beautiful grounds, great staff, great food, quiet, and no kids. We topped off the trip with a massage, as we reluctantly prepared to fly home to the states. As we left we already started taking about a return trip next year, thinking about a couple of days at their sister lodge in the forest reserve, and then back to Matachica. You definitely need to put this on your bucket list!!!

Room Tip: We stayed at their Reef View Suite with king bed, very large, comfortable and private, would select...
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I can't begin to describe how wonderful, relaxing, fantastic, etc., etc., this resort is. We were there for a week celebrating our 30th anniversary and barely left the property because there's so much to do - Matachica itself is a destination. You can read all the wonderful reviews (I agree with them all) so I won't repeat what they've all said. What I'll do instead is respond to the few criticisms I've seen listed in the reviews. I'm doing this because before we went I read many of them and wondered just how true they might be. So here goes:

-- Some people reported inadequate air conditioning in their casita: Our casita (Guava) was very well air conditioned and a few nights I even had to turn the a/c down or off because it was so cool. I think the comments may result from some other casitas not having such efficient systems, so I suggest asking the desk for one with "good" air conditioning.

Mosquitos: I had exactly one bite, the last night of our stay, and only once saw a few flies. I think the key is that when the wind blows from the ocean, it keeps the bugs away; when it blows from the land, it pushes them out of the mangroves (like many beaches - we've found the same at our family beach place on the Jersey shore). Not much anyone can do about this. Matachica DOES spray and offers cans of Off in each room (which we never used). I suggest bringing a bottle of near-100 percent deet spray, just in case (we did; never used it).

Loud music: I never heard music that was too loud or which bothered me - ever. And believe me, I'm the kind of guy who is easily annoyed by others' music. The music played in the main lodge was never loud and always appropriate for the tropical setting (whether classical, island, Euro, or seafaring music). Maybe the casitas closest to the lodge could hear it, but even that I doubt.

Lack of night life: This brings me to my main point - Matachica is a laid-back, relaxing, fun place to be - it is not a hopping, singles, party-a-minute place. If that's what you want, stay elsewhere. The website is very clear about what Matachica is, so go prepared to relax or don't go. There IS plenty to do at night - walk along the beach, gaze at the stars, read, watch a movie in the lodge, meet others in the bar to learn about their lives, lounge in the pool's hot tub, talk with your wife (gasp!), or partake of, uh, "other nighttime activities." Spring break party? - no. Wonderful and fun? - yes!

I could go on and on about our snorkeling trip, my fishing adventure, our couples' massage, our trips to San Pedro, relaxing by the pool, the WONDERFUL staff, our brush with an international murder mystery (the former McAfee place is only four houses south from Matachica - look for the deep blue roof), but others have already done that. Now go have YOUR OWN adventure in the tropical paradise that IS Matachica!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Sea Breeze Suites, which are behind the pool. We couldn't get one of the ocean...
2  Thank trmdwelk