“Had a great time! must do it again!!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spindrift Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Spindrift Hotel
Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
“Had a great time! must do it again!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

I really enjoyed my stay there, first of all you need to consider that you are in an island! if you want to travel to Ambergris Caye and you want to be comfortable and still maintain the island feel (nice cool breeze from the ocean) Spindrift is where you should go! located in a prime beachfront property equipped with a nice bar downstairs which was so convenient for me! also has a dive and beach tour office located inside if you feel like adventuring around the island. I was treated very nice and I was supplied with tons of information when I asked. I will have to do it again very soon!

Room Tip: Go for the rooms looking over the beach!!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alx B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Antigua, Guatemala
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband & I have stayed in San Pedro many times, but this was the first time at the Spindrift Hotel. We loved the central location and right on the beach. Our room was very bright and cheery and even had a frig. The staff were all very accommodating and friendly. The price was very reasonable with daily maid service included. We will stay there again when we return next time (:

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Belmopan, Belize
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

My colleague and I had to go out to San Pedro for work, and rooms were booked for us at SpinDrift. We did not pay, but still, it was one bad experience after the other
Firstly, when we got there after 1pm to check in, the office was locked as the front desk person went to have lunch, and we had to wait another 30 minutes for him to arrive. While we could 'check in' the rooms were not ready so we could not go to them and freshen up before going back to work.
When we got back that evening, we got into our rooms, seemed nice enough. Downstairs of course is a bar, which was noisy until close to midnight, which after a long day, did not help us fall asleep. The bathroom had a sewer smell which was even in the water.
So, that was the first night. When we got back the next evening after work, both my and my colleague's doors were wide open, the showers were being vacuumed or something, which was the origin of the smell. It was even worse now as they worked on it, the staff had no idea how much longer it was gonna take, meanwhile we are tired, wanna shower but no options. Took them about 45 minutes to give us other rooms. I had to gather my things and move up another floor, only to be welcomed by a black centipede dancing across the floor. There were towels pressed against the balcony doors, either to keep out rains or more creatures, did not ease my mind and I was always looking in dark corners incase other living things were lurking.
The shower, which had broken tiles along the base (other habitats for creepy crawlies as they were hollow) did not work, water dripped out like a coffee maker. There was a damp spot on the bed as well. But since the office is closed at 6, and we were just too damn tired, all we wanted to do was sleep. Was not easy to sleep soundly when all that kept the balcony doors closed was a piece of stick.
The last bit of horror came in the morning when I went to get my colleague. She thought she was sleeping in sand, kept shaking it off, but to her disgust, there were red dots all over the bed, which were probably eggs of some sort.
So yea, we could not check out fast enough, and as the office was still closed well after 8am, we gave our keys to one of the staff, who seemed like she could not be bothered. If we ever have a choice, I would never choose to voluntarily stay there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank menoa_minnoan
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2014

I am originally from Belize and return annually. I needed somewhere to stay and was told to check out the Spindrift.

It was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Apart from the location, there is very little good I can say. The first room we were given smelt of damp and it was so unbearable we asked for a new room. You could see the fungal spores all over the roof. The two others we saw were not much better. We were allowed to change to another, although the new one had no tv, a shower that wouldn't work, a patio door that wouldn't lock and mouldy taps we were given no discount.

I understand it is a budget stay, but even for Belize standards the quality was low. Maybe some other rooms were better, but the 3 we saw were not worthy for a human stay. If you have no other options, need to be near the water taxi, have no children and will be spending only sleeping time int the room. Maybe you will like this hotel.

This hotel could be so good but has been allowed to deteriorate over the years. Another word of warning would be to ensure you do not rent from the golf cart company In house. We were ripped off to the tune of 45 US dollars for 3 gallons of fuel we didnt even use. If you don't pay what they ask, they will use the skim of your credit card you give for security anyway. As a Belizean I feel sorry for tourists that are hit with these scams if they do it to their own citizens.

Overall a terrible experience. Next time I will pay the fee for a resort with actual customer service and a head for health and safety.

• Stayed March 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JakeMarlow81
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here with a group of nine cyclists passing through San Pedro on our way around Mexico and Belize. The hotel staff was good enough to allow us to store our bikes in our rooms. If you want to be close to the beach, boats and bars in San Pedro this is the spot for you. It's close to everything. The rooms were ok and clean but it's no Club Med which is fine as people who do Club Med are not really San Pedro kind of people :-) I slept just fine but it may have been the rum. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KerryVDZ
Wilton Manors, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed in one of the budget rooms while we were in San Pedro. They’re half the price as the regular rooms and just don’t have A/C or TVs, which was A-OK with us because the fans were strong and the it was actually unusually, cool during our stay. We were fortunate enough to stay on a Thursday night so got to go to the Chicken Drop without having to walk anywhere. The rooms were clean and everything was safe. We had stopped by Ruby's to look at their room's, which are about a buck or two less, and for nearly the same price we thought Spindrift rooms we world's nicer. My only complaint was the wifi wasn’t working most of the time and when it did, it was very slow. The weather was stormy and the management blamed the wifi going down on the weather.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank John W
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our stay, whilst not a five star hotel it is pleasant, clean, safe and in a great location. If you are the type of person that values a large flat screen TV in your room whilst on holiday (!) this place may not be for you, but for people who want a nice base to enjoy San Pedro it is great. We will stay there again should we return to San Pedro.

Stayed February 2014