“We went away thinking: Next time let's pay more and get something better”
Review of Spindrift Hotel

Spindrift Hotel
Ranked #44 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 5 June 2010

Let me start off by writing that the staff was enormously nice and accommodating. There was also Security standing around to make sure no hooligans were hanging around. I generally felt like my stuff was safe in my room. Also, it was nice having the dive shop just yards away from the hotel on the pier. And, the hotel was centrally located and we loved having Estel's restaurant right next door, which was perfect for breakfast.

However, this is a fine place if you don't care about all the noise (the constant drumming outside the hotel drove us nuts), the spotty wi-fi (I had to lean out on our tiny veranda to get a signal), and lumpy beds (though I've slept on worse). In other words, it wasn't fine for us.

My husband and I are in our mid to late 40s and we decided after spending a week at the Spindrift that we make good money and don't need to travel like we're poor college students. So we hope to return to Ambergris Caye and stay at someplace like Ramon's next time where it's a little quieter, has sheets that don't scratch, and when you look out the window you won't see trash (see my pictures I've posted). The Spindrift (as well as a lot of the other inexpensive properties in that area) seemed to have loads of trash all around it.

At least the room we were in was roomy enough for us, our suitcases and our scuba gear. That was a plus.

And if you've come to dive, know that there's no lift and so you have to carry all your scuba gear up and down the stairs. We were on the third floor. Thank goodness my husband is a good sherpa.

On an amusing note, the Famous Chicken Drop on Wednesday nights brings a whole lot of people to the outside of the hotel. Makes for a raucous party.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MsBoice
Spindrift H, General Manager at Spindrift Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2016

Thanks very much for your review, so sorry that in 2010 The hotel was not suitable for your needs although Spindrift Hotel 2016 has changed a bit, We are still in Town and the Chicken drop that is celebrated only on Thursday stops at 10:00 o'clock at night
and yes you are right the rooms are located on the upper part of the building which is Second and third floor. There is now 5 categories of Rooms with different rates, for all budgets affordable to everyone.
Our Hotel has changed lots from the last time you visited and we would love to have you once more.
Thanks again,
Spindrift Hotel General Manager.

There are newer reviews for Spindrift Hotel

Reviewed 26 May 2010

Spindrift has a great central location right on the beach in front of water taxi terminals. The rooms are clean and we got one with AC. The AC worked alright but did not keep up with the tropic heat once the sun came up. But then again you should be getting up and heading out, sort of a heat alarm clock. The front desk was very nice and the staff as well, they also have after hours security in the courtyard which is comforting. Only problem was noise from Jaguars Disco on Friday night but it only kept me up for about an hour. We paid $75 for room with ac

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Prior to our departure, I got on the internet and found a Belize site and did some research. During which, I met a wonderful informative resident Macarena Rose. She was a wealth of knowledge and suggested we check out the Spindrift Hotel if we were staying in San Pedro. She suggested we ask for Miss Yami at the hotel front desk. We did just that upon our arrival. She was very gracious and helpful in every way. The staff are very friendly and helpful also. There is security on site and the hotel is quite simple but clean and has a beautiful open air atrium. The rooms are small but very clean and reasonably priced. We had high speed internet and cable tv in our room. We were quite pleased with the central location and the beach front patio our room offered. The local food is excellent and I am sure that I gained weight. We loved the local artisans and the culture. Everyone speaks english and is very approachable. We had a great time and will be returning. I would highly recommend a stay here to anyone. Thank you Miss Yami and staff for your excellent hospitality. A great thank you to Rev. Macarena Rose for suggesting we stay there. Best Regards from Don and Kathy-Vancouver Island Canada

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

This was my 3rd stay at Spindrift. The manager, Yami Silva, knows how to run a hotel!
The hotel is right on the beach, the views are beautiful, the rooms are spotless, and the staff is friendly and accommodating.
Good food, great water sports, the reef...whatever you want is readily available. An internet cafe is on the property-a bank across the street. You couldn't ask for more-especially for the $s.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rijks
Reviewed 11 May 2009

Loved the Spindrift! The atrium layout was nice, and I feel that it added security to the hotel. Having a restaurant and a bar in the same building was great! The staff was wonderful, and the room was nice, and we had no complaints. While the purpose of my trip was business with the school, the Spindrift definitely made it full of leisure.
I had friends staying there many nights before we arrived, and they really liked the hotel. By chance, they had a large flat that was empty, and would easily hold a large group. We were highly impressed with that room as well.

I would recommend this hotel for couples, and larger groups.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 March 2009

My husband and I had a reservation with another hotel. Needless to say, they didn't have our reservation so we were basically homeless. (other hotel really helped a lot to find us another place). Anyway, we ended up at the Sprindrift. Dianna was WONDERFUL!!! She got us a room right away and was very upset that she couldn't let us keep that one for the duration of the trip. She told us she might be able to put us in another room and kept on top of it. She ended up moving us to a beachfront at reduced rates (knowing we were on a tight budget). She was very helpful and very friendly.
She alone would be worth staying there but the rooms were also clean and decent for the money. The noise wasn't as bad as I thought it might be from reading other reviews from those that stayed in town. The worst noise was from the pigeons that lived on top of the air conditioner, the trash man (only once) and the dogs next door. The downstairs bar is just ok but this hotel is in such a great location you can walk to any bar in no time at all. I recommend walking next store to Estelles for breakfast, we were regulars there.
Also, they have the chicken drop - def. a once in a lifetime experience!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2009

This was an excellent little find! We managed to grab the last room at a good price, for San Pedro prices. Its located in the middle of town, right on the beach. The staff where really friendly and helpful. They let us keep ours bags there, all day, after checkout. Its clean and there is internet. The restaurant is also really good and reasonable. It also has a bar and is close to all the piers for the water taxi, snorkelling and scuba diving.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple