“Wonderful Belize Getaway”

Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
McKinney, Texas
“Wonderful Belize Getaway”
Reviewed 15 January 2013

We stayed at Mata Rocks Jan. 5th-12th for our 10th anniversary and had a wonderful time. I would definitely recommend staying here if you enjoy the more quiet, out of the way places where the people are more mellow and laid back.

I read MANY reviews for many different places on the island and the common themes for Mata Rocks held very true: Resort is small but very well kept, the rooms and grounds are cleaned daily. We stayed in a junior suite off the pool and didn't have any issue with noise. We did have to keep the blinds closed for privacy which took a little away from the experience as we didn't get to enjoy the ocean views out of the window while in our room. Next time I would definitely stay in one of the balcony rooms closest to the water, great view and the most privacy (S6 and S12 I think). The pool is small but in the entire week we were there I never went in and only saw one other person go in. I think if we went when the weather was warmer I would have been more likely to jump in to cool off.

We found the staff to be very friendly and really enjoyed hanging out at the bar talking to them as well as other guests. But I am the type of person who enjoys talking to people and asks a lot of questions to get conversations going. I was very curious about local life on the island so I loved listening to the bartenders tell personal stories. The only time I saw them get somewhat distant was when the guests were being obnoxious or overbearing.

We had our excursions arranged by the staff and everything was great. We snorkeled out at Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley and went to the Mayan Ruins at Lamanai. We wanted to do another snorkeling trip out to Mexico Rocks but the weather wasn't cooperating. We only rented a golf cart one day so that we could explore the entire island. We went across the bridge to the Palapa Bar and had wickedly strong rum punches, or maybe that was just because it was only 10am, haha. The other days we used the bikes or walked. The walk to the edge of town is not bad, only about 30 minutes or so, but then it took another 10-20 minutes to get really into town to some of the restaurants and stores we wanted to visit. Riding the bikes was easiest, and if you head south there's really not much there but a nice quiet ride.

It was very windy every day we were there so we had no issue with bugs of any kind, and didn't see any ants or other bugs in our room during our stay, but from other comments we were prepared with bug spray. The first couple days we were there the water was fairly clear so we could go out for a wade (can't really say swim since it's not that deep). I wore water shoes and had no issue with the sea grass. After that the weather churned up the water and it got very murky so we didn't go out. The next dock over goes out into deeper water and has a ladder to climb down into the water. The sea grass did become a problem onshore as the weather got worse during the week, but the guys worked everyday to pitchfork it into wheelbarrows and cart it away.

The food we enjoyed the most were the small places - Robin's Kitchen had the best jerk chicken we'd ever tasted, The Reef had awesome fried whole fish, Pupusaria had great ceviche and pupusas, El Divino next door also had awesome ceviche. We found Elvies to be just ok and were disappointed we spent $50US on lunch there - that could have been 8 jerk chicken plates at Robin's!

Overall our stay at Mata Rocks was a wonderful getaway from the hustle and bustle of American life. The culture on the island is so friendly and relaxed, we would love to come back and would definitely stay at Mata Rocks again!

Room Tip: All the rooms face the ocean, but the two with balconies closest the ocean have the best view and ar...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Sao Bartolomeu de Messines, Portugal
Reviewed 29 December 2012

We stayed here fro 6 nights at the beginning of December. Just out of season but perfect for us. All staff we found to be very helpfull and accommodating. Thee is no restataurant but the basic brekfast provided was fine. It is not a 2Resport" - 17 rooms- so how can it be!
Everything was clean and suited us superbly wih a direc dock to dock transfer from Mainland to the Hotel dock. We wil be back and recommend this lovely little residence.

Room Tip: We had room 2 with an ocean view and balcony
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
irvine
Reviewed 28 December 2012

Hotel is a small but friendly place. The rooms aren't huge, but the view is fantastic (I got an ocean view room). The staff was friendly and helped book me a few snorkel tours for me as well as get a taxi for me on my way out. Room cleaniless was definitely top notch, though i recommend a good bottle of bug spray since I did see ants around the sink area and mosquitos and such can enter through the screens to make your nights uncomfortable

The pool is small, the breakfast was sort of light (pastries, juice, fruit), but its a nice place to kick pack and relax if you're there to do other things. The wifi works best near the bar and was sketchy in the rooms and on my first night there the power went out.

Other than that, everything else was relaxing and comfortable

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean view, the sunrises are excellent
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Yi W
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 23 December 2012 via mobile

Overall not bad. Rooms are clean, they have a cute little bar, a bathtub size pool, and a nice beach with lots of sea grass. The bartenders are not friendly at all. I have not seen them smile or try to interact with a guest once while I stayed there. Hotel is about 20 minutes walk from downtown.

• Stayed December 2012
McKinney, Texas
Reviewed 17 December 2012

This Hotel is so wonderful!! It's super clean. The staff is really attentive and helpful. If you need anything just ask and they will find a way to help you. I booked my air from Belize city to San Pedro through the hotel...easy! They offer any excursion you could possibly want to do. Its really close (across the street) to Harry's store (Food, snacks, beer, other drinks) and Robins Kitchen (super delicious food, a must visit restaurant). The bar on the beach is great it has some snacks but no major food items. Happy hour nightly. The best part is the beach!! It has (IMO) the best beach area i came across. Its a short walk to town or you can barrow a bicycle, rent a golf cart or take a cab. This place was well maintained and i would not stay anywhere else if I were to go back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Wapakoneta, Ohio
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I stayed at Mata Rocks at the end of the slow season/start of the busy season. I searched and searched not knowing anything about the town. It was for our honeymoon and they only had the balcony room available for part of our stay so we stayed poolside. They did not offer to upgrade at any point. The prior visitors took the keys with them so Mata Rocks had to go have another key made so we couldn't leave our room for about an hour. The rooms were clean and the beds were very comfortable. We had ants, but i don't think that is unusual. I was prepared with bug spray. The rooms was on the south end about a half an hour walk from town, in fact there is not much around the hotel, so plan on walking (with a flash light after dark) or biking, however the bikes have to be in by 5:30. The bikes were a nice perk from the hotel. You can also rent a golf cart about $65 for 24 hours. In the US we think of a resort as big with alot of amentities. The Mata reminded me of a Ramada Inn type hotel in the states. There are other hotels that are still out of the main stream but closer to town.

We usually don't have housekeeping services everyday so when we let them know we didn't want any they did it anyway once. They also totally opened the blinds so our room was wide open for everyone in the pool area to view inside our room. That was a little embarrassing. Lesson learned a) even if you don't want room service you might get it and b) don't leave your bra lying on the bed for the world to see.

We stayed 7 nights and the price was right. Wireless was spotty but worked 90% of the time, which was nice. The staff didn't seem overly friendly. If you asked for something you got it, but they didn't seem to say hello or good morning, but others on the island were alwasys pleasant.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Turner1223
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 29 November 2012

This place is awesome. period. after spending four nights in western Belize, the next four nights were spent on San Pedro island at the Mata Rocks resort. We were upgraded to suite #2, which was gorgeous with an awesome balcony overlooking the ocean. The resort grounds were immaculate, it has a great palapa bar where it's nice to chat with the other visitors, the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, and they make things very easy for you once your there. you want to snorkel at shark ray alley? no problem, just walk down to the bar, let them know what time you want to go, and then a boat will come and pick you up right at their dock. you want to rent a golf cart, they'll have one delivered for you. you want food delivered, they've got all the local menus. it's on an quiet section of the island and you can walk either by beach or street into San Pedro. We walked around that island every day and every night, drinking belikins and taking in the local cuisine. Mata Rocks was an incredible home base, and I will stay there again when we make it back to Belize. definitely.

Room Tip: i had secured a balcony room, but man was I happy that we were upgraded to a suite. I think it woul...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple