We stayed at Mata Rocks for 6 nights in April 2013.
We upgraded to a suite with a balcony which we were very pleased with. It had a small kitchen area with fridge - ideal for keeping drinks cold!! Great air conditioning and ceiling fans kept the room lovely and cool. Very clean and tidy etc
The rest of the 'resort' was basically a small beach bar which served a very basic continental breakfast each morning. We think the word 'Resort' is a bit confusing. Mata Rocks is a small hotel with beach bar, sun loungers and tiny pool. Clean & tidy but it's not a "resort" by any stretch of the imagination. Lovely and quiet.
Mata Rocks is right on the beach. The beach area is very small and unfortunately the island has loads of sea grass which makes swimming from the beach quite difficult wherever you go. Best to get on a boat and go snorkalling.
It's a half hour walk into town or you can hire a golf buggy from MR which is fun. If you walk, we found it best to walk along the beach and enjoy the cooling breeze from the sea. Very hot walk otherwise.
The person in the office was very unhelpful! Didn't seem very interested in making our stay fun. We asked about local excursions which he reeled off with no enthusiasm what-so-ever. Seemed bored!
In terms of excursions, we did a full day fishing (we are novices so anyone can go and enjoy this) which also included BBQing our catch for lunch. Highly recommend this trip. It's with Captain Jerry Ack. The hotel will have his contact details or email firstname.lastname@example.org Its quite expensive so we shared the cost with another couple which made the day even more fun.
We also went to 'Shark Alley" which everyone seemed to end up visiting. Amazing! In fact, the snorkelling generally was excellent, so any trip is worthwhile.
The town was buzzy & fun. Quite a few nice beach restaurants but we found the food generally 'average' so can't really recommend anywhere specifically. I think maybe Elvi's in the centre of town was probably the best.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Intimate beachfront hotel providing personalized service in a casual atmosphere. Located one mile south of San Pedro on a beautiful sandy beach. All rooms and Jr. Suites have ocean views, A/C, cable TV, mini-fridges, coffeemakers, hair dryers, safes. Some rooms have kitchenettes. Complimentary continental breakfast, daytime use of bicycles, and taxi transfer upon arrival/departure are included in room rates. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L. and getaroom.com so you can book your Mata Rocks Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mata Rocks Hotel San Pedro
- Mata Rocks San Pedro
- Mata Rocks Resort Belize/San Pedro