“Very nice quiet, friendly place to stay”
Review of Mata Rocks Resort

Mata Rocks Resort
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We stayed here three nights and really enjoyed it. It's one of the few hotels on the beach where you can sit very close to the water and even wade out a bit. Some hotels have walls built or very sea-weedy, rocky beaches. It one is the best.

The rooms are nothing to get excited about. It's the small hotel ambiance, lovely beach bar and bartenders, helpful front desk and nice beach walks that make this place a worthy choice. Easy to walk to the road to find some local food too. Rent a bike to head into town.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mcgilly11

Reviewed 17 April 2014

I really enjoyed that it was a small hotel I think 17 rooms. You never felt like it was a tourist trap. They are very friendly, willing to give you hints and ideas on where to go and what to see. Would love to go back soon

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Darkkyss
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My husband and I were here for the second half of our Belize Honeymoon (first half spent inland in San Ignacio--highly recommended!!!) the hotel was quiet, only a few rooms here, so there were just a few people around at any given time. We made friends with the bartender-she's a hoot, knowledgeable about the local life and provides excellent conversation and delicious drinks :)
Across the street from the hotel is a little place called Annie's - she makes jerk chicken plates and will cook any fish you catch. Prices were great and the food was the best!! Delicious local cooking.

The beach at the hotel is small, and at first glance seems bleak, but compared to the other "beach fronts" at neighboring hotels the Mata Rocks has a nice sandy beach with hammocks, chairs and a few palms for shade.

Rooms were clean, and comfortable. Ours was a suite with a small kitchen (which we didn't use, but was nice to have for mixing our own drinks and keeping snacks in the room).

Overall the resort seemed to be much more quiet and relaxed than some of the other fancy hotel/ casino type places surrounding it. The staff was always helpful, but also out of the way if we wanted to be left alone.

They hooked us up with a snorkeling trip. Just told them we wanted to snorkel and they booked a trip, got our gear, and put a drink in our hands while we awaited the boats arrival. It all got charged to the room and we were shocked at how low the bill was at the end of our 5 day stay - something like $200 Belize (that's only 100 American) which included all our drinks and the snorkeling trip -all day on the water with a private guide.

Will definitely try to get back someday!!!!

Room Tip: Our upstairs room had full ocean views from the bed!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for five days. It was just as we expected! The location was good, the beach was quiet and private. Staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was just right and the bar had really good drinks! If you're not wanting to go all out on a room but still want good amenities (a/c, pool, beach, cable with plenty of channels, free bike use, golf cart rentals on site) we would highly recommend!

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 3 April 2014

As all of the other reviewers have said, the staff at Mata Rocks is great. They are extremely friendly and knowledgeable and will go out of their way to help. We really enjoyed talking to them at the bar/breakfast area. The rooms are small (especially the bathroom), but are you in Belize to stay in your room? Besides the staff, what impressed us the most was how really clean the entire area is. Every day staff was raking seaweed, cleaning pool area, and all other areas. Empty dishes and glasses were immediately whisked away. The location is very convenient for almost everything and quiet!! If do you do not want to walk to San Pedro along the beach, a taxi is only $5. We cannot wait to stay again.

Room Tip: Room 7 is too small for 4 people.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cyhurls
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Upon arriving at Mata Rocks we were greeted by very polite and helpful staff. When asked if we were interested in any tours, I told them that I booked most of our trips prior to arrival. Not many smiles after that, with 30 years of travel under my belt, I know that networking and a few dollars, will direct business in a direction to benefit the staff. I was not upset with the temporary unhappiness of the staff, I know that a few extra dollars in their pockets goes a long way. We are very generous tippers which the staff soon came to realize. We plan our excursions to optimize our time not, to short change anyone. The better tour operators can be booked far in advance, and you can’t say “oh well maybe next time”. The breakfast was simple and served outside at the bar, there was fresh squeezed OJ every morning. My boys and I ate breakfast around the corner at a small restaurant it seemed the majority of other guests were smokers. We stayed in room 7, the room is really in some need of some updates, but we understand that tropical destinations are in constant need of maintenance, we focus on cleanliness and hospitality, both of which Mata Rocks does provide. There is not much of a beach at the hotel as told by other reviewers, but we did not spend our vacation at the hotel, we like to explore. Since our departure and arrival was shifted our last three nights were spent at an adjacent hotel. While at the other hotel I asked the staff at the front desk to please order wave runners for my family, she said I could use the phone in my room @ $1.26 per minute, I asked if she could make the call, and she said no. I walked back to Mata Rocks and asked Sheryl dean if she could make the call, she promptly picked up the phone and called. Those are the things that will bring me back to a hotel. For a family of four, room 7 is too small, if you have a group my size I would advise to find out if there are any larger rooms. The rooms are decent and the staff is hard working, and will help you with your needs.

Room Tip: There is a nice view of the ocean from room 7 but not much room for 4
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Scott B
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Mata Rocks is a small hotel south of San Pedro in a quiet neighborhood, with easy access to town and a dock where you can be picked up by boat for trips. Safes and refrigerators provided. Bikes are available to ride around the island and to the Mayan ruin of Marco Gonzalez. The small bar serves both continental breakfast and afternoon/evening drinks. The staff were very friendly and helpful with everything from recommendations for trips and meals as well as guest needs. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family