“Finally”

Mata Rocks Resort
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
“Finally”
Reviewed 13 July 2006

I have wanted this trip forever. Erica and the staff were fantanstic. Sorry for the abundent display of affection but I was truly in paradice. I plan to return soon.

• Stayed September 2004
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Wyoming, Canada
Reviewed 23 June 2006

Mata Rocks was absolutely beautiful. Owned by a Canadian couple. Super clean!!!! No restaurant on site but there is complimentary breakfast every morning and a bar right there. The beach is beautiful and super clean. The staff clean it every morning and sweep up the debris. It is expensive there for basically everything. Do rent golf carts to tour the island but check with the companies in town. They are cheaper than renting them from the resort. also we went out reef fishing with a guide very good but expensive. Check with different tour operators there are lots of them for cheaper prices. Best tour was the Manatee Tour with Seaduced. Definitely the best part of our vacation and also very reasonably priced. Bargain with the street vendors they have cheaper prices than the gift stores. All the restaurants are within either walking distance on the beach or by taxi which only costs 5.00 USD. Caliente's was good. Rico's was excellent. Banana Beach was also awesome. Try the Jalepeno Cheddar burger. All tours can be arranged at the resort the staff will do it for you and the tour companies will pick you up right at the resort dock in the morning. Try a Pink Squirrel at the Squirrel's Nest beach bar. Rico's has good tempura tenderloin dinner as well. Avoid the timeshare presentations at banyan bay villas and the grand colony unless it's something you are into. They tell you that you've won all these prizes. The properties are gorgeous though. Have fun.. it is absolutely beautiful.

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank chelsweed
California
Reviewed 4 June 2006

The people at Mata Rocks were fabulous.

After arriving by boat at 10:30 am, obviously our room was not ready so they let us keep our stuff at the front desk. We hung out at the Squirrel's Nest bar while they asked the cleaning crew to hurry with the room for us. I think we were in our room an hour later. The staff were helpful, friendly and knowledgable.

We stayed in Suite 3 (after much planning and looking for recommendations) - this is the best room and the best view. If you can't get this room, get one with an ocean view because it is HOT! in May and the tradewinds keep the temps bearable. There is air conditioning in the room.

They have golf carts to rent and all of the day trips have a boat pick you up from the Mata Rocks pier. I assume it is that way for most hotels. I reommend the catamaran trip to Caye Caulker, Hol Chan and the Marine Sanctuary - what an amazing, memorable day!!!!!

• Stayed May 2006
5 Thank supergirl
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 31 May 2006

Mata Rocks is a simple, casual place. The standard pool rooms are perfect for 2. Air conditioned, great windows with cross breeze, fan. We had a tv that we never used. Rooms have a safe, closet, ample furniture, huge shower - s--- water pressure though!
The rooms are around the pool, which is small but there was no one using and the hotel was at capacity. I was a bit anxious being next to the pool for noise / privacy but the bar on the beach closes at 9pm so it is quiet. The office / bar / staff can all assist with activity planning if needed (we had a dive package) Fresh beach towels available, two hammocks, and several lawn chairs for lounging. Several bar stools, and regular beach chairs for relaxing. This is a simple decor resort and the beach area is not expansive but matches the guest ratio perfectly. This is on the south end of the island, 20 mins to the furthest north point. The beach area is quiet and not crowded like the north end. The south end is beachy, the north end is messy, busy with vendors, etc. The staff was polite and very helpful - many repeat guests were there. There is a dock for boats to pick up guests. It is safe to walk around the caye at night. Also, there is no restaurant onsite, but the bar has toast and fruit for breakfast, and several lunch items for purchase. The dining immediate in the area far exceeded expectations - meat was wonderful at El Divinos next door and Rico's two doors down had fresh Stone crab. I fully recommend this place and would return. After walking and visiting the other hotels, it confirmed that my research has never let me down!

• Stayed May 2006
7 Thank ms9
Reviewed 23 May 2006

This place was terrible, where to begin first its just under a year since we were there and I am still fuming about the place. we requested a suite and got a room, when we asked what was up ?, the owners from my home town of north vancouver BC blew us off. Did not offer to refund us any money, oh but they did buy us a couple of beers because my wife had to use the faculities next door as they were reodeling the beach. and the workers were a tad on the rude and obnoxious side. wooo wooo. The lack of compensation and insincereity was beyond anything I have ever encountered. The only thing I can say about mata rocks that is even close to nice is that its realy close to RAMON'S stay there instead we did for our last twoo nights and what a difference it made.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 May 2006

There was a great write up in our local newspaper in Pittsburgh, PA stating that "Mata Rocks is the best resort for your money" and it was! My husband and I would recommend Mata Rocks to anyone considering a trip to Belize. The staff went above and beyond to make our trip to Belize memorable for us. We highly recommend having the staff at Mata Rocks arrange a fishing trip to the reef where after you catch a few fish your guide will grill them for you on a private beach. It was by far the best seafood we have ever eaten! If you haven't been to Belize and you are considering going and staying at Mata Rocks - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2004
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
North Tonawanda NY
Reviewed 27 April 2006

After a week on the mainland of Belize, my husband and I spent four nights at Mata Rocks.
Let me begin by saying that from the beginning, one of the owners (Liz) was quick to respond to my e-mails and in answering my questions. She assisted in arranging inter-island flights and put me at ease.
The resort itself looks like a Greek resort;painted all white and glistening clean. You are taxied to the resort at the resort's expense and met by a kind office staff and a welcome drink.
The room was small but lovely. Refrigerators are in the rooms as well as a coffee maker. The resort serves a nice continental breakfast, a light lunch, and has by far the nicest happy hour and views of the sea.
As for Ambergris Caye itself, it was much too busy for us. But Mata Rocks is a bit off the beaten path. It is intimate and quiet. The owners are more than willing to sit down and speak with you.You doin't feel congested with resort after resort as if you had stayed right in San Pedro.
I did take a bike out our last day and went shopping downtown. I walked the beach. Too busy for me. I spoke with someone who stayed at Ramon's. He said you had to pay to rent a bike and the safety deposit boxes were plastic and unsafe. It was also in the heart of San Pedro near the airport and too busy. He loved the intimacy of Mata Rocks.
If you do decied to come to Ambergris, this is a good place to stay. Victoria House is large and expensive. They have no beach,either (You have to walk down a couple stairs to enter the water). Sure, you will need a taxi to get into town, but that is a small trade off for peace and quiet.
I wish I loved Ambergris Caye enough to go back. If I did, I would stay at Mata Rocks again with no question.
By the way, the snorkeling is better here than the mainland. The trip to Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley was too regimented for us. You have to stay with a group to snorkel! If you have the chance, get a trip with Tulu. He is a local and will take you out for the day at a much better price. He also took us to Caye Caulker. This caye is very quiet and quaint.
Jeanne and John Chiarmonte