“Undestated hotel deserves more attention” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mata Rocks Resort

Mata Rocks Resort
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
San Diego
“Undestated hotel deserves more attention”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2007

We recently returned from a 9 day stay at Mata Rocks and couldn't have been happier. We were in an upstairs ocean view room so we could leave the sliding door open and listen to the sound of the waves. All the units have AC but we only used ours twice for a few minutes when the place had been closed up all day, otherwise we never needed it. There is a very nice sized frig and plenty of space- loved the balcony. We were certainly expecting something much smaller and were really pleased we'd chosen to stay here. We did walk into town every day, it's an easy walk along the beach and the onshore breeze makes it much more pleasant than being inland. There is a very large staff for such an intimate hotel ( 9 people) who seemed to be working ceaslessly to keep everything nice. I know some have complained about the seagrass. It's really not a problem, they clean the beach every single day, and the grass is soft enough to walk on (trust me, where we live, we have SeaWeed- with it's zillion flies, I'd trade for wispy seagrass any day!) We arranged to go snorkeling 4 times and also a trip to Tikal that the hotel set up for us, they couldn't have been nicer. You could stay closer to town- but I liked the peacefulness with the easy stroll on the beach when we did want to shop. I would recommend this place to anyone, and we did meet some people who had the misfortune to book at the north end of Ambergris. They couldn't wait to relocate as it's very sparsely populated there and they were horribly bitten by mosquitos, whereas we never had a single bite. For ambiance and location- Mata Rocks was perfect for us.

• Liked — ambiance
  • Disliked — shower water pressure for shampooing, fine otherwise (just I have thick long hair)
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank T-2SanDiego

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2007

We enjoyed our stay at Mata Rocks. The staff members were helpful, though we sometimes had trouble tracking them down as they moved around the property. If we did not find them in the office we most often found them working at the beach bar. They made the arrangements for our snorkeling trips and our tour of a local Mayan site.

Our room was clean and we paid the extra $10 for the second floor room with a balconey. Definitely worth the cost. Breakfast was included and consisted of sweet rolls, bread for toast, orange juice and coffee or tea.

If you are used to traveling in the US and Europe, there are some things about this hotel you should know. None of these are negative in my mind, only different from what we expected.

First, there was no phone in our room. There was a phone in the office, but the office was not always open. There was a payphone across the street from the hotel.

Second, the shower head was set quite low, so we had to duck under it to use it. The water pressure was low, and the hot water was not always hot, and usually took a couple of minutes to arrive.

Third, while the hotel says it has internet access, this is not available in the rooms. There is a PC in the office that guests can use, and the rate while we were there was $2 Belize for 10 minutes.

These are things we wished we had known before we booked our stay.

• Liked — The location was outside the busy downtown tourist area
  • Disliked — No in-room internet access
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rupertina
Athens, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2007

My husband and I were just married at Mata Rocks and it couldn't have been better. The wonderful staff took care of everything which was great for me because I hate to plan.
The staff was also very helpful in planning tours. One of the tours we signed up for was cancelled but the staff found another company that offered the same tour so were were able to go after all.
The rooms were very nice and clean. Ours had a nice balcony with a beautiful view of the ocean and the pool.
The bar is great as well. Sheryln is an excellent bartender- be sure to try the Pink Squirrel and the Ceasers.
Mata Rocks' location is great if you aren't interested in going into town alot. We walked to town the first day and it was a long hot walk. For the rest of our stay we rented golf carts or used the hotel's complimentary bikes.
Overall, Mata Rocks is a small, intimate hotel with friendly staff and great amenities. Our wedding was perfect. We will definitely be back to Belize and Mata Rocks.

• Liked — Friendly staff, beachfront bar
  • Stayed May 2007
4 Thank caronmcd
LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2007

we loved mata rocks...we originally booked a reservation elsewhere and were not happy with the room. we rented a gold cart and checked out a bunch of hotels to find another place to stay. we stayed in S6 which is a room right on the beach. mata rocks has a nice pool and a great bar (and bartender, shirley). the best part was the awesome staff (owners liz and terry) and office (tom) who were most helpful. they arranged tours and took care of our plane reservations back to belize city. we also had plenty of bikes that we could use for free! we loved belize...for restaurants, try victoria house, wild mango (we went 3 times), cara picasso, ail baba.

Stayed April 2007
7 Thank susu10
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2007

This place was very nice, and clean. It was located just south of town, about 1/2 hr walk or 10 min bike ride. It has a clean beach that is cleaned daily. The rooms all have refrigerator ( so buy the beer at the distributer). The hotel has a bar, the squirles nest, so you can always have a little booze. The food is not that good, the breakfast is bread and fruit, the fruit was great. The coffee was horrible and I would reccomend buying some Caye Coffee. Locally roasted bean with great flavor. You can borrow bikes from the hotel which I highly reccomend. The owners were not as freindly as I thought they would be, but that was not enough to make me not want to return. I like the fact that it is a little out of town as it is quite at night and very peaceful. I will be coming back and I will stay here again

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — breakfast
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christian1878
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2007

Matarocks was what we expected. I had done my research online prior to booking. We were looking for a clean inexpensive room. We usually do not 'upgrade' to ocean view but it was only $10 more per night to get the second floor with the balcony so we did it and it was nice. I was also prepared for the beach 'situation'. It is not just Matarocks, it is everywhere along the ocean with a slight exception with Ramon's. Matarocks does just as good a job as anyone cleaning the beach- I feel bad for the guys who are cleaning it because it is such an endless job. It seemed like they cleaned the beach twice a day.

The room was clean and small but that is what we were looking for although it did not have a dresser (not that we had a ton of clothes but a couple of drawers would have been nice).

The staff (which mainly consists of a bartender/ manager/ trip booker/ concierge/ etc was very helpful and went out of there way to help if you needed anything. They would help with restaurant recommendations as well. I would stay there again but the only thing that would have been nice would to be a little closer to town. My wife and I certainly don't mind getting excercise (we prefer to walk or bike instead of a cab). It's not a bad walk into town, but if we went into town for breakfast, walk around for a bit, head back to the hotel for an hour or two, it didn't make sense to get right back on the bikes and ride into town again for lunch. There are restaurants close by but we like to sample different places.

If we return to the island we might check out 'Changes in Lattitudes' a small bed and breakfast on the beach and it sounded like rooms were about $100 per night. It is about a 2-5 minute walk into town.

• Liked — Cost/ Value
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Snorkeler123
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2006

We got married at the Mata Rocks Resort almost a year ago (time flies!!!) and had a great experience, however, I do have a few criticisms.

Room:
Our room was okay, nothing to write home about, but it was clean and there was air conditioning. I'm not sure what was going on with the bathrooms, but there was a distinct odor from the water when we used the shower or toliet. This might be an island wide problem though.
Before booking, I would call the resort and ask them for the best room view. I think it is Suite 3, but check before you book. The suite isn't really much more than a standard room exept it has a mini kitchen in it.

Beach:
Not to sound like a whiner here, but the beach was not that great. I was told that because of the reef the shells do not really wash up on the sand. I was hoping to collect more shells. There also was a HUGE amount of seaweed on the beach. A problem that is apparent along the island and it wasn't the kind of beach I was picturing.

Breakfast:
When we were there in Feb 2006, the "breakfast" wasn't very impressive. We had rolls (that looked and tasted like hot dog buns with sprinkles on top) , toast, some fruit and juice. If you're a big breakfast eater, don't rely on this as your meal. It's more of a snack. There are however, some great breakfast places just down the beach at the restaurants. I think it was Rauls, they have an outdoor patio that is gorgeous to eat breakfast on.

The wedding itself was a great experience. It was a day that we will never forget. If you are the type that needs to be in control of everything for your wedding, then this is not the place for you. We basically just had to show up and they took care of everything for us. The food buffett that the hotel arranged for us after our wedding was really good. It was the local food, so it is not Americanized.

I would recommend eating at Rauls and Fidos. I would also recommend taking a snorkeling trip and the day trip to Lamani, the Mayan ruins.

Thanks to Mata Rocks for a great wedding!

• Stayed February 2006, travelled with family