“Great Resort!”

Ramon's Village Resort
Ranked #14 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 17 September 2008

We booked this hotel based on many reviews read, some good some bad. This place is great. You can't go there expecting the Hilton, its Belize! You will have sand on the floor, it is humid and there are bugs and lizards! Our honeymoon cabana was ON the beach about 15 feet from the water. It was slightly secluded from the rest of the rooms, on the edge of the resort, perfect privacy. It was very pretty, very well kept, very clean. All of the staff was great.
We talked to them about restaurants, they booked all of our reservations for us. Their restaurant was very good but it was on the pricey side but so are the other nice restaurants on the island.
The pool area is pretty small, I wouldn't say it is great for children but why spend time in the pool with a beautiful blue ocean steps away!
Our AC always worked very well. The roof never leaked even through a pretty tough down pour.
It was the perfect honeymoon place!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2008

Tempted to stay at Ramon's?
Don't.
The beach and location is excellent, I admit that. It's a short, five-minute walk from the airport and a five-to-10 minute walk from every restaurant in downtown Ambergris Caye. The beach is beautiful and they rake the seagrass from it daily.
HOWEVER, the service is terrible. We happened to be in Belize when they were experiencing power outages in late May. The short ones were no problem, but we had a 12+ hour power shortage that started the night before our wedding and lasted nearly up to the ceremony. That meant that in Ramon's dim rooms we couldn't see to get ready and we couldn't take showers because the water went out with the power. The staff at Ramon's didn't try to accommodate us in any way. They just shrugged their shoulders and said it wasn't their fault. That we knew. However, we were staying at their resort for 10 days and had traveled down with 13 guests for our wedding. It was a big deal for us (obviously) and we could have used help and recommendations. I have never been more frustrated in my life. When there is an emergency, I expect the staff at my hotel to rise to the occasion. That's what customer service is all about. The staff at Ramon's needs a thorough training in customer service because they don't have a clue.
I don't consider myself to be a terrible, pompous American tourists - and no one has ever called me a Bridezilla – but I do expect to be treated well at a resort when I spend what I consider to be a fortune to stay there. I expect sympathy and at the very least: "Wow. We're sorry this is happening. What can we do to make it better." We never heard those soothing words. All we heard from staff there was, "It's not our fault."
We did not elect to hold our wedding at Ramon's either because they demonstrated no effort to work with us. They gave the option of one package (exorbitantly priced at $1,300 for a minister, tiny cake, bottle of champagne and license), and refused to create a package with the few options we wanted.
Overall, I didn't feel that the staff or management cared at all about their customers.
We were mislead about breakfast being included in our reservation and didn't learn that it wasn't until we'd spent over $200. (And we weren't the only ones there that happened to that week. Several from another wedding party suffered the same fate and were left with a huge bill at the end they hadn't expected.)
Plus, one member of our group paid cash for the fishing trip we took. Ramon's then doublecharged him when he checked out, insisting they had no record of his payment.
Ramon's nickeled and dimed us on everything. There was nothing that just came with the room - not even a fridge. The resort was definitely overpriced for what you received.
The cabanas were cute, and ours offered a view of the beach. However, whenever we ran the air conditioner it smelled like mold. TERRIBLE. I tried air fresheners, but we wound up just opening windows and using the fans.
I had also expected to be in a one-story cabana, but we were unpleasantly surprised when we arrived to find out we were in a double-story cabana. Apparently all the ones closer to the ocean are double story – (except the honeymoon ones) but they are not well insulated, and when you're downstairs you hear everything the folks upstairs do.
We would go back to Ambergris Caye as it was gorgeous and laid back. But we'd rent a villa instead of stay at a resort. Our friends stayed one night at a beautiful place down the beach and paid less for more space and a kitchenette.
Despite spending one of the happiest and best times of our lives at Ramon's, we'd never recommend that any one else stay there. Don't waste your money.
But while you're in Ambergris Caye, dine at Estel's by the Sea - fabulous place. Great food, wonderful ambiance, and terrific staff.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank islandinthemist
Reviewed 30 July 2008

My daughter picked Ramon's for her "make a wish" trip. Half way through our stay, our adjoining rooms were burglarized. We reported the incident immediately to the front office and the local Police. An itemized list of stolen property was requested and provided to the staff; reimbursement was assured by the owner. We have not been able to get a return call or email in over a month - very disappointing.

Stayed: June 2008
17  Thank erniej
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We stayed at Ramon's for 4 days after 4 days in the jungle at Hidden Valley Inn and would highly recommend the ocean front cabanas. The breakfast was good but we went out for all of the other meals. Went to Dinner at Blue lake, Mangos and Carrumbas and they were all good. I did a few walks around the island and felt the location was perfect, the pool was nice, the staff was great and the room was nice as well. They also are one of the only resorts that takes care of the beach from the seaweeds and one that you can walk into the water right from your room. I almost did not come to Ramon's based on some other tripadvisor reviews. I am not sure what the other visitors are complaining about. I am happy I went with the advice of my agent. I have stayed at plenty of hotels the last few years and this was great. As I jogged through San Pedro, I saw some resorts that were nice but so far out there or were not even close to this nice. It really is a unique jungle/beach setting, we loved it.

I also liked the fact you could get some great snorkeling practice off of the edge of their pier and rent equipment from their dive shop before you go out to Hol Chan. I went on two tours, one run by Ramons to Hol Chan and another company. The one bad mark I would give is they independent snorkel operator did 10x better a job as a guide vs Ramons and was $10 cheaper. I felt as though we got some kid off the street doing his first tour when we went with Ramons and he didn't even get in the water when we went to Ray Alley. He didn't chum the water and therefore the rays and sharks were sparse and hanging with other boats, very disappointing. I would advise going with an independent snorkel tour guide vs Ramon's based on that experience.

Also, a little known show on the north end of the island is the croc feedings by the local boys at ~4:15 every day. You give them $6 US and they go grab a chicken to bait out the crocs. This is a little estuary/lagoon located just past Victoria house, past Fidos on the right hand side next to the water tower. You got to check it out!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Ramon's is absolutely the place we will stay on our next trip. Clean, great service, wonderful people, fantastic beach and hammocks! The food is too expensive at the hotel for what you get for dinner (breakfast is reasonable) but many great restaurants are within walking distance. (try El Patio, Blue Water Grill and Lily's for breakfast) The dive shop is right there for you to arrange snorkeling and fishing. We had such a wonderful time and I would highly recommend this place to others. It's a little more expensive than some of the other hotels but the little huts and all the other things that come with it are just great. We spent alot of time in the pool and beach area and both are kept really clean. You will not be disatisfied with Ramon's in Belize!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We paid way too much for oceanfront rooms here. Had I known the quality - I would have just stayed at Holiday that is just as good for a much lesser pricetag and its oceanfront too. Dont waste your money.

• Stayed: November 2005, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nbparents
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Ramon's initiallly reminded me of the approach to Fantasy Island. I almost expected little Tatoo to appear and welcome me. We had an adorable pink golfcart pick us up at the airport and take us 90 seconds to Ramon's check in. The reception staff is wonderful; the valets and the front desk staff. That's where the charm ended. The rooms are caught in a 1980's time warp. This is where Madonna comes in singing La Isla Bonita--well, the Isla isn't quite so bonita at Ramon's. The food at the restaurant could best be described as mediocre. We heard other guests lament of the meal plan. There are a number of good restaurants to choose from nearby--DON'T EAT AT RAMON'S. Our room was dark and smelly. When we complained to the manager, Ayner, he was dismissive and couldn't be bothered. He wasn't gracious to say the least. The security staff skulks around the property not knowing really what their role is. We saw a security guard chase off a local from "their" beach, which is supposed to be public. I felt the staff to be very distant and as if there was no management presence....certainly nothing to teach them good customer service skills. There are better options to choose from nearby. Still, Ramon's is centrally located, and that's about the ONLY thing going for this very dated "resort."

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family