“White sand beaches” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
A TripAdvisor Member
“White sand beaches”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2005

We just got back from San Pedro. What a relaxing place Caribe Island resort is!! The entire staff went out of their way to make our stay THE BEST!! Our trip with Carlos (Suya Tours)to the Blue Hole was spectacular!!
You can count on us being back next year!!

• Stayed July 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Geneva, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2005

I have visited and stayed at Caribe Island over 9 times in the last 5 years. Up until this last trip, I highly recommended it. But, quite frankly, those days are gone.
My friend owns three condo units there, and offered to let me use the place. I'm very happy I didn't pay, or I would have asked for a refund.
The once beautiful grounds are no longer tended like before. There was trash and garbage, and the beaches were not picked up 4 of my 6 days. The AMAZING restaurant is now closed. The bar remained open, but closed very early, and didn't open one day. I didn't use the "so called 'on site' dive shop. The boats just park there, and you have to catch the captain if you want to take a trip. I only saw him once.
The former staff was TOPS! Only Albert, the bartender, was still there. The old office is now closed, but I did run into several members of the old staff around town. Jules (the former manager) told me that somehow the owners had been kicked out by some condo owners. He said it was "a big mess", and that he couldn't believe that nothing was being done by the government. I also managed to have a short visit with one of the owners who was adamantly against the "takeover".
It's a sad, sad place now, and virtually empty. I can't imagine it regaining it's glory days, especially without that wonderful staff, and the top notch restaurant. (The restaurant was almost new. The owners had moved it out over the water and hired a great chef, and it was so busy, you had to have reservations to get in most nights.)
Caribe Island was the only place I ever stayed and even though I have many friends who are condo owners there, I won't stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank CCarrie
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2005

We stayed in a junior oceanfront in March of 2005. It was the most relaxing vacation we ever took. We have been to many of the Caribbean islands and this one took the cake! Ambergris Caye is definately the place to stay when you visit Belize. It is laid back and the locals are fun. Everything was perfect. The rooms are immaculent! The staff was increadibly friendly. They quickly lined up any tour we wanted. The maids actually scrubbed the room each day - well above the call of duty - but we sure enjoyed it! There is a tour guide on site and he was wonderful. He does all tours except diving. All of the other tour companies pick you up on the dock - very convenient! The pool was refreshing and the grounds were beautiful. We walked up and down the beach and Caribe Island definately has one of the best maintained beaches. We even fished and snorkled off the dock. Our unit had a veranda and was right on the beach. We walked out our door and the sea was a few feet away! We had a kitchen with all the works - coffee pot, fridge, stove, toaster, pots, etc. Although we enjoyed breakfast and lunch in our condo, the best part of Ambergris Caye is going out to eat and living it up with the locals. The food was terrific. We made an adventure out of trying all the different restaurants and were thrilled with each one. Go to RC's on Sunday for the best BBQ on the planet. Try the Tai restaurant - it was our favorite. Although it was fun to go to town, we enjoyed Caribe Island because once we returned to our condo it was Q-U-I-E-T and peacefull as a vacation should be. We walked to town a few days along the beach. It was fun. We also tried riding the complimentary bikes - also fun. The last two days we decided to rent a golf cart and I would recommend it. We had a good time cruising through the streets, checking out where the locals lived and exploring the remote north end of the island. The hand-ferry was a hoot, but it would be a bit annoying if we had to use it all the time. I am glad we stayed on the South end of the island. Overall, our trip was fantastic and we plan to go back twice a year if we can. I would recommend Caribe Island Condos to anyone looking for an unique Caribbean vacation at a top notch resort!

• Stayed March 2005
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2005

Had a great stay at the pink Caribe Island Resort for a trip with 3 divers and 2 snorkelers. We shared one of the larger multi-bedroom suites. The view from our balcony was of the pool and ocean, where you can watch the whitewater breaking on the offshore reef. Great sunsets, nice rooms, very kind staff. We borrowed the kayaks and went out to the reef, but I wouldn't recommend trying to swim to the reef since it's quite a long ways and you could get run over by a passing boat.
The food at the resort was not particularly great so we made breakfast burritos, etc. ourselves and the maids cleaned up our dishes every day, even though we didn't expect them to.
This resort is at the quiet south end which has two advantages - you are closest to most of the best southern dive spots, like Hol Chan and Shark-Ray Alley, also you get a feeling like you are down in the jungle. We would usually take the free dinner shuttle at 6:30 pm into town and tried many local restaurants. It's a long walk back if you miss the return shuttle but we often caught a ride on a passing golf cart, or you can take a water taxi.

Stayed January 2005
15 Thank DCGirl
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2004

We absolutely loved Belize. We were there at Christmas time and it was absolutely magnificent. Caribe Island Resort is a great hotel. Very clean and we had a little kitchenette too. There is a small restaurant on the grounds that serves great food. It is not an AI but we enjoyed going out every evening for dinner in the city of Ambergris. There is a free shuttle from the hotel to town which is about 10 mins away. The staff there were soooo friendly. I have never been anywhere where I was treated that well by the staff.
All the roads on the island are dirt and there are a lot of golf carts driving around. The only pavement on the island is the landing strip at the airport.
I am looking forward to going back to Belize some day but have had a hard time finding tour companies that offer it anymore.
I highly recommend Belize and this resort.

14 Thank bdj