“Lovin Ambergis Caye and Corona del Mar Hotel”

Corona del Mar Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #5 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Elk Grove, CA
“Lovin Ambergis Caye and Corona del Mar Hotel”
Reviewed 24 February 2008

Before I went on vacation to Ambergris Caye, I read many wonderful things about the island and Corona del Mar Hotel specifically. However once there, I found out that they were all true and more. I was traveling alone so the hotel staff became my friends and family. The phrase that Corona del Mar is a "home away from home" turned out to be so very true for me. The staff was attentive, inquisitive as to whether or not I was having a good time, where I was going for the evening and always asked if they could do anything to assist or to make my stay better (Pamela, Ernesto, Frank, Gilbert, etc.) Because I was alone they introduced me to several locals who became my tour guides and friends. Corona del Mar staff assisted me in planning activities and even came out to the beach to get me when I received a long distance call from home! The knew me that well. I would recommend Corona del Mar to anyone. It is centrally located and the facilities are clean and air conditioned. I loved the daily continental breakfast consisting of fresh island fruits and breads. Being an early riser, I appreciated the fact that breakfast was usually already out on the patio when I got up and went outside for my morning breath of fresh air. The other great thing about Corona del Mar's location is that it is across the street from George's. This is the absolute BEST restaurant in the area, possibly on the island. The proprietors, George and Maria are both very nice, not to mention the fact that George is a great cook! For me, Corona del Mar and George's went hand in hand. I loved staying there. The same kindness and attention that the staff exhibited on the telephone prior to my arrival, they continued to exhibit throughout my entire stay. Recommend to anyone.

• Liked — Location, Staff
  • Disliked — No Pool
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelinSis25

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Ottawa ON
Reviewed 21 February 2008

Stayed at the Corona del Mar for 3 nights in February and were very happy with the hotel and the service. We booked the rooms directly with the hotel and Ernesto answered all my questions promptly by e-mail. We were meeting up with a friend at the hotel and when our plane got delayed a day, we just e-mailed Ernesto at the hotel and he made sure our friend knew about our delay and gave her our updated itinerary. Frank was very friendly and all the staff were very helpful. The room was great and we really liked having our own balcony to sit outside and read/relax. The dock, the beach, the hammocks and the beach chairs were always clean and available. It was a short walk into town with lots of bars and restaurants close by. The rum punch flowed all day long and the breakfasts were fine. They wouldn't be enough for someone with a big appetite but for us, it was okay. We'd definitely stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Location, cleanliness, service
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 February 2008

On my second trip to Ambergris and third to Belize I tried this small hotel right on the beach. My 10 day stay was just right. The staff arranged one of the best fishing guides I've ever had and the bone fish were plentiful. The attentive and friendly staff were always helpful and full of cheer. The room was very clean and well taken care of. Even the local restaurants they recommended were very good and close by. This isn't a resort. It's the type of small hotel you would find in Europe without a dinning room. The breakfast was laid out before the posted 7AM, so you can catch a quick bite before going on a 7AM fishing or other sort of trip; not to mention the return airplane. I recommend this little gem.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 8 February 2008

We just got back from our third trip to San Pedro. So far, we have stayed at Coconuts, Mayan Princess, Belizean Shores, and now Corona del Mar. Corona del Mar is BY FAR the best hotel that we have stayed at and is a great value.

While it is true that it doesn't have all the facilities of some of the larger resorts (e.g. there isn't a pool), the price and service more than make up for that. For $135 (high season), we got a large, clean. comfortable penthouse room with a large bed, spacious balcony, and a gorgeous oceanfront view. The air conditioning worked perfectly and kept the room cool while the ceiling fan keeps the air circulating. The room was equipped with a fridge, which contained a gallon of purified water (refilled daily). One thing I really liked is that the sink/counter is separate from the rest of the bathroom facilities. That makes it a lot easier for one person to use the sink while the other person "uses the facilities". We didn't see any signs of unreasonable wear and tear.

The daily continental breakfast delivers exactly as advertised: toast, boiled eggs, cereal, fresh fruit, juice, breakfast breads, and coffee. If you're craving a hot breakfast, then just go across the street to George's Kitchen or next door to Monkey Bites.

The bar in the main lobby area operates on the honor system and is well stocked with soda pop and Belikin. And, of course, there's the complimentary rum punch (and they don't skimp on the rum!!).

The folks working there (we met Pamela, Ernesto, and Frank) were all completely fantastic. They took care of any requests we had pleasantly and promptly. This goes for any inquiries we had prior to our arrival, also. They check their email frequently so don't hesitate to ask any questions. They're also very happy to book any excursions you desire. They booked us a on a great sailing/snorkelling trip with Seaduced and simply charged the fee to our room.

In terms of location, you really can't beat it. It's a 1 minute stroll to Crazy Canucks beach bar (and Pepperoni's Pizza, which may be one of the better dining options on the island...seriously!!). It's only a 10 min walk into downtown San Pedro and convenient to the airport. Other businesses that are close by include the Road Kill Bar and the Island Supermarket.

Corona del Mar is an absolute gem. We cannot recommend this place enough.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Handicapped people should confirm ground floor accomodations
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family
Minneapolis
Reviewed 30 January 2008

We stayed in a 3rd floor ocean view room at the Corona del Mar for a week in mid January 2008. The hotel may be a little older but the rooms were well maintained and clean. The air conditioning also worked very well. We did some research before booking and it would be awfully tough to find a nicer place with a better view for less money.

Planning and making reservations for our trip was done via email and Ernesto was always quick to respond and extremely helpful.

The location was great. It was an easy walk to the heart of San Pedro but we found our favorite restaurants (George's Kitchen, Monkey Bites and Pepperoni's) were just steps away from the front door.

Highly recommend the Corona del Mar and would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Location, view, price.
  • Disliked — No pool (but didn't really miss it).
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smear
York, UK
Reviewed 29 January 2008

We stayed here just before Christmas and had the most amazing time. The staff at the Corona del Mar are the loveliest, friendliest warmest people we met in Belize, which is saying a lot since the people in Belize are some the friendliest people in the world. They welcomed us as newcomers with a cheery "Welcome Home" and the first of many free rum punches and by the time we left we really felt like we were leaving behind close friends.

Over the time we stayed, Frank (a real star at the Corona) not only taught me to play horseshoes like a champ (they have a horseshoes court on the beach), but even invited us to join in with the staff celebrations for their Christmas party. The staff here really genuinely want you to have a great time and they really made us feel like part of the Corona extended family. You leave here (in our case a few days after we originally planned to) feeling like you've discovered somewhere and something really very special.

I'll definitely be going back again to see Frank and the gang for some more rounds of horseshoe on the beach once I've saved enough pennies. I heartily recommend this as a genuinely great place to chill out, spend some downtime and meet some characters.... oh and visit the reef. It's stunning!

• Stayed December 2007
Canandaigua, New York
Reviewed 23 January 2008

We are a couple in our 50's who wanted to go snorkeling and have a relaxing vacation. We arrived mid afternoon from a resort hotel stay further up north and was pleasantly surprised by this quaint hotel.
Greeted by a large glass of rum punch by Franco the maintance and grounds keeper we were taken upstairs to our sunset /lagoon view room and no sooner that I stepped in and asked about the ocean view room Ernesto offered us an upgrade without cost. An ocean view room .
We had perfect view of the ocean with 2 doors opening up to a balcony, queen size bed, tv. dresser, mirror, table and chairs, a sink as you walked in with a frig and basic bathroom ( toilet and shower)
Next day we went down by 7 am to breakfast and we were greeted with a wonderful breakfast of wheat bread, banana and dark bread, boiled eggs, cereal, milk, cut up pineapple, papaya, watermelon, oranges , whole bananas and fresh coffee and fruit punch.
You could sit inside the lobby and meet some of the guests or outside to eat or take to your room and have as much as you wanted. We usually came back down with our laptops and met quite a few guests with common interests.
Pamela one of the managers set us up with Lil Alphonse for 2 tours that were just amazing to Hol Chan and Shark and Sting ray alley plus Mexico and Mata Rocks.
At the end of the pier there was a nice thatched palapa and hammock ,4 beach chairs and a large roped area to go swimming which I absolutely loved. Clean and without the grass normally seen by the shore.
The beach area also had a volleyball net which guests had fun using during their stay along with the horshoe pit.
This was one of 3 hotels we stayed at and we loved this one the best because of the staff and the breakfast and free rum punch.
In fact after we had gone to our 3rd hotel we came back to visit on our bikes and partook in Pamela's birthday celebration, free rum punch , cake and ceviche.
The only downfall is if you enjoy having a pool there is none and even the one to use next door isn't much. We stayed 3 nights here and moved on to Xanadu for another 3 nights and missed the ambience that the staff and this hotel offered.
At times the tv was on too loud in the lobby but I asked politely to turn it down and they did .
There were 3 restaurants within 20 feet from the hotel, George's Kitchen, Monkey Bites and a really good Pizza place.
Next time we visit Ambergris Caye we are planning to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank islabonita