“Good place, Amazing Staff”

Corona del Mar Hotel & Apartments
Ranked #5 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Boulder, Colorado, United States
“Good place, Amazing Staff”
Reviewed 13 February 2013

This place bought the place I was staying at next door before I got there and updated it I guess from what I heard. I really liked my room. Big. Had a mini living room, microwave, fridge, counter, tv, and comfy bed. AC if you needed it. Free gallon of filtered water already there to refill whenever. Free cont. breakfast and free rum punch till 6:00p.m.! Nice pool, big bar, lots of chairs to lounge on the beach. But the best part was the staff. SOO friendly!!! So helpful!! Frank is awesome! And Le Roy is so funny and fun! But eveyone is great! They do little events at night if you're around. Karoake, trivia, etc. But there are great places to wonder too! Highly recommend Canucks 2 doors down to hang!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Seattle
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I have been thinking of the best way to review this place since my first night there and hope this comes across accurately. I am a seasoned traveler in my late twenties and this was not the place for anyone is my position. My experience is that this place seems to have a cliquey atmosphere for elderly travelers which is great if you are one. Since I am not, I found the staff to be cold, rooms dirty, environment boring and lacking the Belize culture I wanted to see.

When I arrived, I was pointed to the direction of my room and given zero information on the area, hotel amenities or where to book guides/excursions. I asked a few questions and was given short and blunt answers which were not helpful in any way. When I arrived to my room, it was just gross. The bathroom faucets were dirty and I found clothing tags, pieces of hair in the dresser, and bedspread stained. They provide a coffee maker in each room but no coffee.

The first morning I asked the staff where the complementary breakfast was and they told me it was on the second floor of the detached building. We walked throughout the entire place climbing 4 sets of stairwells and finally found it on the first floor beach front (why couldn't they just say that!).

To get a more optimistic view of the area, we decided to head to Caye Caulker for the day which was awesome. I went swimming in crystal clear waters, bought some local handcrafted ironwood and ate the BEST LOBSTER ever at Fran’s Grill for only $15! (HIGHLY recommend Fran’s, she even prepared our order 45 minutes before they opened so we could catch the last water taxi back to San Pedro)

The next day I hung around the Corona Del Mar’s beach for a bit and listened to all the travelers repeat stories of their Caribbean resort travels and drank the rum punch when it was available. It was usually empty and I was only ever able to get one cup of the fresh batch after asking George to make more. There is no area to swim at the beach but they do have comfortable chairs and shaded areas if needed.

I also spent time walking around downtown San Pedro to try and get a better feel for the area. Unfortunately it was difficult to walk around since all the tourists rent hundreds of golf carts and took claim of the roads with their poor driving. This was hard for me to understand since the downtown area isn't big and everything is within walking distance…

My opinion is that this place is affordable and really that’s the only pro about it. If you’re under 50 and came to Belize to see the culture and not a tourist trap, I’d recommend going to Caye Caulker. I also recommend everyone to take time to visit San Ignacio, the best part of my Belize trip was the 5 nights at the Parrot Nest Lodge which is awesome for all generations and types of travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alexandra Z
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Unless you want to watch an action movie or the local beauty pageant there is no good reason to stay at this hotel bar. Want to chill at the beach bar listening to some Caribbean music, drinking a Panty Ripper? Too bad, you're going to watch The Rundown with Duane "The Rock" Johnson!!!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Sarcasticprick
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Everything you need-pool, massive bed, excellent staff and free rum punch. A well kept beach front is nice for lazy afternoons. Karaoke night at the in-house bar is a good night out.
You must challenge Frank to a game of horseshoes on the beach...but don't expect to win ;)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ali M
Verona, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 January 2013

We were in Belize over New Years 2013 and stayed at Corona Del Mar just outside San Pedro on Ambergris Caye. If you are looking for a 5 star upscale resort, this isn't the place. This was, however, practically perfect! The place was clean and the staff was top notch! Frank was there to help everytime you turned around. The bartenders were very friendly as was the front desk staff and houskeeping. Despite this being the busiest time of the year, there was almost no one on the beach in front of the hotel. We had an Oceanside apartment so when we opened our front door, we stepped out onto the beach. One night we ordered pizza from down the street and when it didn't arrive in the promised time, the hotel sent one of the security guards to find out what the problem was. This will without a doubt be our choice everytime we go back to this beautiful little island.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Brownsville
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Price is reasonable and in a great location. You can walk easily to downtown San Pedro on the beach. Rooms are good but need to improve maintenance. Doing some painting to refresh rooms and buildings would not hurt and it will give the hotel a nice clean feeling. We enjoyed our sea view and wide balcony. The staff is extremely nice and helpful. Breakfast was very basic, coffee, toast and some fruit. Not much but a good start. The hotel has its own dock, so if you are snorkeling or diving you will be picked up at the dock. Very convenient. One more thing, if you are expecting nice beaches to swim, this is not the island to be. Beaches are narrow, full of sea grass, and many are dirty. Not the hotel beach. They do a good job cleaning it.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sanmusa
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and that will be the last time! I was horribly surprised upon entering the room at the peeling paint, dark dingy lighting, and lack of overall maintenance! The shower was dingy and so small that I couldn't hardly turn around inside. They had coffee makers in the room but no coffee available! The beds were clean however. The continental breakfast consisted of the cheapest bread available, peanut butter and jelly and some fruit. The coffee was TERRIBLE! The beachfront consisted of sand and beach chairs however swimming in the ocean was not an option due to all of the trash in the water, including rebar and glass. The bar was the one bright spot. The bartenders, jasmine and marge were super and accommodating. Aside from that, I rate this hotel very low! Never again!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family