“Great Vacation”

Ranked #4 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Jasper, Tennessee
“Great Vacation”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Best winter vacation ever! It's so relaxing to stay here, thanks to all the friendly staff. They were so helpful. Be sure to see detective Kenny at the bar or pitch horse shoes with Frank. The property has a pier in front so you can book all your water activities and jungle excursions on site. Corona Del Mar has everything that an expensive hotel has and more! Thanks for the hospitality guys! We"ll be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Susan P P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The room is decent. Don't expect resort luxury. It's fairly clean, safe, hot shower, etc. All you really need when traveling to Belize. If you're staying in the room the whole time, you're doing something wrong when you visit Belize.

The staff that worked there was extremely wonderful and friendly. I know them all by name and they know me. I'd stay there again just for the friendliness you receive.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Booked a trip last minute with no other accommodations available and stayed for 8 days here. I cannot say enough about Kenny and Margie...they were amazing and as a solo traveler were so welcoming. I LOVE them. Margie deserves some sort of aware or raise for what she does...such a trooper and she loves her bar and are and wants it to be the best and is so proud of it. I love her, she is amazing. The rooms were okay, but really who cares where you are staying because you are outdoors the entire time. And really for the price they were really nice. All-in-all...it's the people you're around and not where you lay your head down at night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Nicooool
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 1 January 2014

As many other reviewers have noted, the staff here are just terrific--SO nice and helpful!! In terms of reviews that noted problems, I avoided these by a) paying for a better room ($187 in peak season) and asking for only an updated one; b) getting a room that was not facing out on to the pool, where the bar and noise is. I stayed in room 205 (206 looked like the mirror image when I peaked in). This room (with ocean view and balcony) was in the north building--a building that was separate from the one with the pool. I think the garden view rooms may also be the noisy building, but not sure). I recall someone writing something about being in the "right" building, so look for that review (and maybe similar other ones) and see if what I'm saying is the same. There were also non-view rooms in that building, so maybe you can get a cheaper updated room as well in that building. Do note that there was neither a coffee/tea maker in the room, nor a hair dryer. They need to take that off of the amenity list. Wifi wasn't consistently working, but tolerable. Don't expect much of a continental breakfast--consisted of fresh fruit, coffee, toast, and peanut butter and jelly.

In addition to the staff, the fridge and microwave were invaluable. And if you like to party during the day, the FREE rum punch (how cool is that?) made available during the day was super yummy, and not at all wimpy.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank laurietjohnson
SoCal
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My girlfriend and I spent a week in room 206 - fantastic! Clean, well kept, and well worth the money. The people there were fantastic: Happy Man, Margie, Kenny, Marlemi and the rest of the staff. Rum punch all day, and hammocks that will suck you in...:)

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get the ocean front rooms....well worth it!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
San Salvador, El Salvador
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My wife and I decided to travel to Belize from El Salvador on a medium-class budget. We took the bus which turned out to be a nightmare, another story, and researched medium priced hotels in Belize extensively. Based on comments on this site and others we decided to stay at Corona del Mar. This was the best decision of the trip. Corona del Mar by far exceeded our expectations. The facility is very clean and the rooms are nice and even come with a fridge. The employees at Corona del Mar went out of their way to make sure we had a GREAT time. Frank, Happy Man, Vicky and Margie made out trip. The hotel is on a nice clean beach, the pool is OK, I love the free rum punch - serious rum punch, and at night it does not get too loud. We can not wait to come back, and I even wanted to plan a trip the next month in December, but not on the bus. Also George's across the street is a nice place to have breakfast/lunch and is fairly priced. Overall I recommend this to anyone who wants to see San Pedro without paying resort prices. And for a fun tour of the island Frank will rent you a nice beach cruiser.

Room Tip: We chose the regular priced garden view and loved it.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jason S
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My husband and I are in our late 20’s and have had many different experiences in traveling the world. We particularly love Central America so we make a point to make an annual trip every Fall. We had such a wonderful time in Belize last year, so we broke our “never-visit-the-same-place-twice” rule and came again this year. My husband and I enjoy more rustic, small, and quaint hotels vs. luxurious hotels. We prefer the “no frills” type atmosphere because we always seem to have better experiences this way. TripAdvisor has been an invaluable tool in planning all of our travels….. we have never been misguided….. except this time. The second we returned home from Corona Del Mar, I immediately hopped on TripAdvisor to see where in the world my lapse of judgment may have occurred. This was the worst hotel we have ever stayed in, yet it has 4.5 stars on TripAdvisor? I had never in my life been more confused!

Please see the REAL, CURRENT photos of Corona Del Mar that I posted. I scrolled through countless photos that other guests posted that look so pleasant and won me over in the first place. I can only conclude that this hotel was ONCE a nicer place. This is NOT even close to the Corona Del Mar that exists today. It is such a depressing place. It’s so, so sad that there is NO pride in ownership. We were so miserable that we searched the island for a different place to stay. We were willing to lose the money we had already paid on this hotel just to get out. Sadly, we could not find another place to stay as the island was quite busy for the week of Thanksgiving.

This hotel is in desperate need of maintenance. I have never used the word “maintenance” so much in my life as I did in the awful few nights we stayed here. There is rust and junk EVERYWHERE. It really is like a dump! We couldn’t understand why a fresh paint of coat wasn’t ever considered. The water smells so awful and it’s yellow in color. We filled the sink up to soak our dive camera one day and the yellow water confirmed what we had been smelling all week.
On our first night, the power went out at around 7:00 PM. There was no thunderstorm or rain. We completely understand that we are on an island and the power is going to go out. However, the problem was that no one came to check on us or even mentioned it. The power stayed out until the next afternoon. We tried to open our windows but sand fleas are everywhere. In the few minutes before we realized what happened, I had already been bitten dozens of times.
The power went out again our third night around 6:00 PM. This time it was just our building. We searched around the hotel for someone to see what was going on. The office was locked... on a Saturday night at 6pm? The only person we could find was the bartender. The manager finally appeared and sent someone to try to fix the problem. We waited a couple of hours while he flipped different switches resulting in nothing. Finally, we asked to move to the building next door that had power. We moved what we could and the maintenance man said he would bring the rest of our luggage. He forgot. We got out of the shower and realized he still hadn’t brought the luggage. My husband walked around in a towel trying to find him. When we left for a tour the following day, the power in that building was still out. My father-in-law, who joined us on our trip & stayed in a separate room, was greeted by a cockroach upon entering his now 3rd new room.

When we expressed our disappointment with the front desk (on more than one occasion), they replied with a very emotionless “sorry” and carried on with their business as if we were disturbing them. I had never received such poor customer service. This was the most disappointing part. We are so easy-to-please, low maintenance people. We just wanted to know what was going on. We don’t need a free night stay. We understand that the power going out is beyond your control. But you can control the way you interact with your customers. Just pretend like you care for a second. Offer up a smile or act the least bit concerned.
There were many other guests who we also heard complaining to the front desk throughout our stay; also flabbergasted by the lack of customer service they were receiving. I hope that they too write a review on TripAdvisor so that this hotel can be rated for what it is today and not what it used to be.

I had never felt more compelled to write a review to my fellow TripAdvisor users to warn them of this misrepresented place. Ambergris Caye is a lovely place with many wonderful places to stay. Please stay anywhere else but Corona Del Mar.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family