“Okay inexpensive hotel”

Ranked #5 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Okay inexpensive hotel”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Located about a mile from small airport just south of main hub of San Pedro. Clean sanitation wise but needs some updating. Paint peeling and stains on ceiling. Could not see TV from the bed. Couch uncomfortable and stained. If you just need a bed for the night, then it is okay. I was there just to catch dive boat, so for me it was fine. My wife would not have been happy. Bar at beach was great. Could watch games on 3 large TVs. Food was reasonably priced for San Pedro. Beach in front of hotel is typical of San Pedro - small, not very private, but clean with some nice lounge chairs.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank jjajc

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Boise, Idaho, United States
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Our trip was delayed by a day and this hotel was happy to shift our reservation by a day. They also gave us an upgrade to an ocean view room! The room was small and simple but clean and comfy. Definitely worth the price.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Shelly W
Twin Lake, Michigan
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Our 2nd yr spending our winters @ Corona Del Mar. You can't beat the service. Also where else can you get Continental Breakfast & Free Rum Punch? They treat you like family & do whatever they can to make your stay very enjoyable. They are in the process of upgrading rooms & have made improvements all around the hotel/grounds. People have to remember we're not in the States or Canada, things are different down here! I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else, love the people/love the place.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I always trust Tripadvisor, but this time I am really confused. The only reason I am giving 2 stars is because they kindly gave us one night extra in the end of our stay because we missed our first night there after our flight was delayed and we missed last water taxi from Belize city and we had to stay there. BUT everything else was really bad. They know why they have a strong free rum punch available all day. They hope people will forget how bad the hotel was. And obviously the rum really helps in some cases due to other people reviews !!!!After all I drunk it too just to not see the reality around me that clearly!!No seriously.. Don't stay there if you are with your partner and want to enjoy this paradise nicely and relaxing. It's really not the place. Stay if you are a backpacker and want something little bit better then hostel. For illustration I am putting photo of " continental breakfast ". Just ridiculous . Like this whole hotel.

• Stayed January 2014
3 Thank Dominika1234
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I stayed at the Coronal del Mar the first week of January 2014 and felt right at home. The staff is extremely happy and helpful. The rooms were spacious and it appeared that all of the rooms had a view of the beach from their porch, if not their rooms. Our room (9) overlooked the pool, but we could see the ocean from the porch. It was clean, comfortable and cozy. It is quite a bargain on the island and I would highly recommend it to someone looking to spend their money having fun, rather than a luxury hotel. They have large HD TVs in all of the rooms and plenty of cable channels.

We used it primarily as a spot to stay while diving, and used their on site dive shop (Tuff Enuff). Leroy, who is also know as "happy man" took care of my son and me with several dives. He also arranged a trip with Amigos del Mar for us to dive the Great Blue Hole (if you dive, this is a must - not just for the hole but the two dives after it) and made sure that we were happy.

Please note that the breakfasts are free, but light. There are lots of fruit, toast/bread, peanut butter and fresh coffee but that is about it. George's across the street has large breakfasts for nice and cheap (Pepperoni's has great pizza and bread sticks too) just across the street. The free rum punch all day is a nice added bonus, but they aren't weak so keep that in mind!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ted S
Illinois
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Compared to other pool view rooms I saw when walking by the windows, our room wasn’t half bad. Earth toned adobe walls are throughout the room; some guest rooms were lime green. We had two double beds, flat screen television and ¾ bathroom. The small nightstand/dresser didn’t have any working hardware, so we didn’t use it. One bed had a wall blocking the view of the television; you had to look in the mirror to see TV while lying in bed. I didn’t watch much TV, so it was no big deal. It could, however, be a disappointment for some people. Housekeeping services daily, cleaning floors and the bathroom, replenishing towels, tissue and fresh linen. The pool view rooms have mini refrigerators, microwaves and coffee makers. As a note, housekeeping cleans the rooms with the doors open, so there were a few mosquitoes and ants in the room daily.

We did not find out about the complimentary continental breakfast and rum punch until Day 3 of our nine day trip. I overheard the front desk clerk (heavy set woman) sharing the info with guests. When we checked in, she did not make us aware of the hours or location of the festivities. In fact, she was quite drab in her interaction.

Well, the continental breakfast is simply sliced bread with accompaniments, fresh fruit, coffee and fruit punch, but the rum punch, after noon, was perfect! On day four, I must admit that I indulged in more than one rum punch.

The bar had a few items on the menu; I tried the chicken wings, nothing fantastic. I opted to dine several times at the restaurant next door at Taky Inn - delicious. (See my Taky Inn review for more info.).

Frank is the self-professed “Jack of all trades, master of none” who helps with everything with a smile. He LOVES his job! He works maintenance, mixes up the complimentary rum punch, acts as bellman, etc. Frank was one of the highlights of our trip. He’s the friendly, lively and horseshoes instructor with a smile.

The discrepant reviews are easily explained now. Most of the employees are great! The male bartender leaves something to be desired, but all of the maintenance guys and front desk employees, with the exception of the heavy set woman, are wonderful. Margie, one of the bartenders, is phenomenal! She makes you feel like a part of her family. She seems genuinely happy to see you daily, even if you are merely walking by. The drinks she prepares are wonderful, especially the Mudslide. Happy Man from the Tuff E Nuff tour group on the dock is wonderful. He was able to help me locate a last minute dive that was fantastic! In addition to nurse shark, we saw a school of dolphin which gave a lengthy underwater show for us. Amazing!

Wifi is great by the bar and in the lounge and lobby, but inconsistent in the guest room. Not a glamorous hotel, but fine if you get a good deal on the room. The first two people I met had soured my opinion initially. The interaction with the other employees increased my rating of this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank iluv2go2
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Pros: fairly large rooms, large bed, air conditioning, beachfront location, ample sitting area in the room and on the premises, well priced, small "continental" breakfast, nice staff.

Cons: Older and not well maintained. Mosquitos in the rooms - housekeeping cleans with the doors open, a bit of a walk into town (nearly a mile I think, which we did 4-5 times in three days), small showers and old bathrooms, spotty WiFi in the rooms.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple