This is perhaps the best combination of benefits on the island. I don't want to be unfair to the other hotels since I didn't stay at any, but I was absolutely impressed with the Blue Tang, and especially when compared with *all* the other places around it on that side of the island.
Rather than hide all my points in prose, I'm going to lay out all the benefits of staying here in bullet points. Note that anything I list is in contrast to other hotels which do not have these features:
- Beach. Surprise! Many of the hotels, ironically the ostensibly nicer ones, are ocean-view only. They sit behind a long retaining wall; guests must walk to another location to experience the water. Not at the Blue Tang, which has a nice, well-kept beach right in front of the property.
- One minute from two local grocery stores. We walked several times a day to the corner grocery (not a tiny convenience store, but a real grocer) for odds and ends, and this is a life saver.
- Wet Willie's is right there. Willie's has good food and a fine setting for drinks over the water, and it's so close it feels like it's the hotel restaurant. The ABC - actually a restaurant which is slow but has amazing burgers - is also right there.
- Other bar/restaurants are at great walking distance. By which I mean, a nice evening stroll to dinner is usually welcome and there are probably a solid dozen decent-to-good places to eat within 10 minutes' walk.
- Enclosed play area. This safe haven for children or to lounge around in hammocks is clutch
- Top Deck. Great view of the ocean (and rooftops of surrounding hotels with no decks)
There's also excellent service; staff helped us with anything that came up including air travel.
If you're looking for opulence the Blue Tang isn't for you. True, the rooms are beautiful, and indeed the top-floor rooms are incredible if you must be pampered, but the experience isn't about that. It's about what you can do if you stay here, and the answer is that Blue Tang is a great balanced location that makes it easy to eat, drink, lounge, rest, tour, walk, play, etc without having to struggle against transportation on the island, or being too central and drowning in the crowd.
Many people rent golf carts on the island. If you stay at the Blue Tang, you won't want one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On San Pedro’s north edge, experience a private paradise at Blue Tang Inn, one of the town’s most charming beachfront inns. Fourteen exquisite suites each offer full kitchens and air conditioning. Relax by the private pool or rejoice on the third floor sundeck with inspiring panoramas of the ocean and reef. Set your own schedule for amazing daily activities such as diving & snorkeling, fishing tours, sea kayaking, numerous inland tours and omnipresent romance during your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Blue Tang Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Tang Hotel San Pedro
- Blue Tang Inn Belize/San Pedro