“Great for the price, everything you need”
Review of Blue Tang Inn

Blue Tang Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Lethbridge
“Great for the price, everything you need”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

For the price this is a great option, you get a double room complete with kitchenette and living room area, very spacious. The hotel is clean and somehow sand free which I dont know how they managed to keep the sand out of the hotel, because I know I dragged lots in! It is a very comfortable hotel with several decks, so go and take your morning coffee and enjoy the view from the top deck. Everything is close in san pedro so you can walk anywhere, so location does not really mater, although there is a bar just in front, Wet Willy's which is supposed to be a local hot spot. I think the most enjoyable thing about this hotel was waking up and being able to get a coffee and a small breakfast on the terrace while enjoying the view of san pedro, really what more can you ask for if you are there for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2009

It was our 1st time in Ambergris Caye and chose the Blue Tang Inn because of the reviews from tripadvisor and the location. We stayed in room# 8 and it looked just like the pictures on their website. As other users have mentioned, there was a full kitchen, but we didn't make much use of it as there are so many great restaurants and great food to try on the island (our favorite restaurant was Wild Mango's).

Pros:
1) Great location - they are right at the end of the dock where the Caye Caulker water taxi dropped us off from Belize City. They are also a very short walk from Chuck & Robbie's, which is the dive shop we used, fantastic dive shop by the way. The inn is also a short walk from 2 grocery stores and plenty of restaurants.
2) Quiet - but we were there during the slow season; I saw a few reviews that mentioned the noise from Willie's, but we didn't experience that. There are quite a few stray dogs that walk the island so you'll hear them barking occasionally. That would be heard from any of the hotels though.
3) Clean & safe - the rooms are clean and there's a safe in the room. There is a lot of greenery surrounding the hotel which makes it feel a bit safer and more secluded.

Not necessarily cons, but things to mention:
1) The continental breakfast wasn't much - oj, coffee, watermelon or whichever fruit they chose to put out that day, milk, cornflakes, and occasionally they had either pancakes or french toast which were kept warm in a crockpot, or make your own waffles (which didn't work out too well if there were a lot of people waiting, b/c they took a little while to cook). We bought stuff from the store so it worked out fine.
2) The pool is very small, but we rarely hung out there.
3) No TV or phone in the rooms. This didn't bother us though, we weren't in the room very much.
4) The A/C in room# 8 blew out of the kitchen, so it didn't cool the entire room down. We had to put it on a very low temperature in order to get the side of the room that the bed is on to a comfortable temperature.
5) The bathroom is small & the water pressure from the shower is quite weak.
6) The free wi-fi didn't have a very strong signal.

All in all, it met all of our needs and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a hotel with character that's neat & simple.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Cali
Reviewed 15 August 2009

This was our first time in Belize, and I checked out all the hotels on Ambergris on TripAdvisor and on other people's blogs. We decided to go with Blue Tang, because we wanted a small, quiet, nice hotel, and that's exactly what we found! The rooms were nice, clean, cool, and comfortable.

Our package included the flight from Belize City to San Pedro, and the hotel took care of the taxi fare from the airport. Even though our flight was delayed, it was no problem getting on the next Tropic Air flight, and when we got to the hotel, Allan was still there waiting for us to check in (they normally close the office at 5, but we got there at 6).

We stayed in room #14, which is a "garden view" room on the 3rd floor. We really liked it though. It was on the quiet side of the building, and to see the ocean, you just had to open the door. The rooms are small, but clean, and have a full kitchen, which was a huge bonus. The A/C works great, I love having hardwood floors, and the 3rd floor rooms have jacuzzi bathtubs, which we never used, but it would have been nice. The rooms are pretty bright in the morning, so bring an eye mask! The swimming pool is small, but we only jumped in a few times between diving. Breakfast is just some kind of pancakes or french toast, cereal, fruit, juice, and coffee; but that was just fine with me, as I don't like to eat a lot before diving. Allan was very helpful at the front desk, and helped us to make any reservations we needed. All in all, I was very pleased with the hotel, it's cute, small, quiet, at the north end of town, and had everything we needed.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Olympia
Reviewed 25 July 2009

We stayed at the Blue Tang from July 4 through 11, and had a fantastic time. It was my husband, daughter and I, and we stayed in Room 12. The room was large and airy, with lots of space. I can't say enough about the front desk folks. They arranged snorkeling for us on the Blue Tang wonderful sailing boat, and even arranged a birthday cake for my husband. All in all a great trip. We'll be back.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 25 July 2009

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at the Blue Tang in the beginning of July 2009. Overall, we really liked the place. I've been to San Pedro twice and there are many things about the Tang which I like.

Room: We stayed in what they say is their best room (15 I think) on the top floor on the north side of the building. The room is a good size, high ceiling, hardwood floors, good air conditioner, "private" hammock on the patio and small kitchenette. The bed was comfortable, however I did notice that near the edge on one side it was starting to sag a bit. The kitchenette was fine, however to be honest, looked disused. I looked in the cabinets, and there was an assortment of pots/pans, etc. I also noticed that there was some leftover food in the cabinets (cereal, etc). I found this to be a little strange as it meant that the cleaners either missed it, or felt that subsequent guests would appreciate free food :) The charm of this hotel is in its imperfections. The room is unique, not a cookie cutter place. If you want Holiday Inn sterility and conformity, it may not be your thing. I will say however that my wife, who will pick up on any problem loved the place.
In terms of cleanliness, there were no problems, and as far as noise goes, I found the place perfectly quiet (but we were there in low season). Oh yeah, one other thing. The curtains are for privacy, not light blocking. The sun rose at 5:30 when we were there, so if you are sensitive to the light, bring a sleep mask.

Staff: We found the folks in the office really nice. Fun to talk to, helpful, willing to book a plane, book a trip, suggest restaurants, etc. We wanted to book a golf cart, and missed booking it by seconds (literally someone phoned and booked it as we were asking). The other cart was in the shop, but he hunted it down and got it brought over early. As it turned out, this was the electric cart which I prefer to the other gas cart(s). I think the Tang's cart price was slightly better than getting one in town. The toilet was not flushing well (but was working), so we asked them to look at it and it took the better part of the day (which I think is fairly reasonable in low season when there may not be a lot of people on call).

Grounds/Location: There are not a lot of "grounds" to review as the Tang is on the beach. But they have a nice small pool with chairs. The area is nicely shielded from the beach with bushes and trees. Quite nice. The location is very good, perhaps the best attribute of the place. The grounds are quite inviting in my opinion. It is very close to downtown, maybe a 5 minute walk to get right in the middle of things. There are a few nice restaurants just down the beach, and yet you are able to sleep at night because it's quiet. For Scuba people you can see Amigo's del Mar and Ecologic divers from the hotel (4 min walk maybe).

Value: Perhaps this is the only place to ding the hotel. We negotiated a price of $150 a night in low season. Ironically, this was the same price as more expensive hotels we stayed in other areas of Belize, and it was not nearly the same level. This may be an unfair comparison as the hotel is in a different area of Belize, and perhaps in higher demand for divers and folks looking to soak up some of San Pedro's atmosphere. While personally, I think it is a little high, it is on par with other hotels in San Pedro with similar features (i.e. A/C).

Overall: It's always hard to recommend something as it really depends on what a person values. If you are the sort of person who interprets a few imperfections as charm, like a homey non-franchise feel, and want to be close to things but still able to sleep, I think this may be the best choice in San Pedro.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
California
Reviewed 6 July 2009

We stayed in room 12 on the third floor. The room was spacious with a nice bathroom, good hot water, excellent supplied kitchen and nice ocean view. There is a third floor patio with bistro tables and a roof top patio with nice sunset views and panoramic photo ops. The grounds are well maintained and very clean. Continental breakfast was included and was very good. A/C was quiet and ran very well and cold. Full sized fridge, stove and microwave. Eating area in the room and a futon. The pool was clean, warm, beautiful and on the beach, although well placed shrubs and gardens keep it fairly private. Two golf carts are available for rent at good prices. There are no TV's in the rooms but they are available for rent for $5 US. The cable connection is kind of fuzzy, though. The staff was incredible nice and friendly and kept the grounds very clean. Some rooms have patio hammocks which looked nice. The inn has a modern computer with internet, although it was down for a short period during our stay. In room wi-fi is included. The inn owns a sail boat available for booking for local trips to the reef and evening sunset cruises, although we didn't try it out. There are two supermarkets right behind the inn adding to the location convenience. I thought the room was a good even value for the accommodations at $120 off season. Cheaper rooms were available but ours was top floor with high ceilings and a little more room and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Michigan
Reviewed 4 July 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Blue Tang. It is in a good location, right on the beach at the north end of town. We booked several snorkeling trips and the boats pick you up at the dock right in front of the hotel. Our room was very spacious, with two queen size beds, bath, full kitchen with a table, and a couch. There are two nearby grocery stores and several restaurants and bars within easy walking distance. They have a good continental breakfast - pancakes or make-your-own waffles - and fresh fruit along with coffee and juice. The staff is excellent, very friendly and helpful. We would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple