“Repeat Customers - Great Friendly Hotel in San Pedro”
Review of Blue Tang Inn

Blue Tang Inn
Ranked #1 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
Chicago, Il
“Repeat Customers - Great Friendly Hotel in San Pedro”
Reviewed 11 January 2010

One of our favorite hotels on Ambergris, we have been to the island many times and repeatedly stay at the Blue Tang. The rooms are large and clean with kitchens, the staff is very friendly and helpful, and the air conditioning works great! The rooftop deck is a great place to enjoy a beer and the morning breakfasts are simple but tasty. The pool is small but just fine for cooling off.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
United States
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We stayed here for 9 days, 2 days in Room 7 which was kind of mildew smelling and and Room 5 which was next to the golf cart path and the want-to-musician that plays the guitar at midnight and the drums at 7am.. I think the rooms on the other side (except of the first level where you can hear the workers talking, would have been quieter). They were redoing a few of the rooms, so maybe Rm 7 was on the list. Otherwise, the rooms have pretty much everything you needed...blender, can opener, frig, toaster etc. The upstairs deck was also great to hang out for your private cocktail hour. The pool was small but nice and if you like Corn Flakes, the breakfast would be ok although they usually have waffles too. Kristin was very helpful with booking the trip and answered all my questions right away which was impressive. I would recommend waiting til you arrive though, to book activities though as you can just walk out your door and get about 10-15% less, especially if you book 2 or more activities with the same dive/snorkel shop. Plus the weather was cold the first 2 days so we were glad that we hadn't planned & paid for anything. The thing about this hotel that bugged me is that they tried to upsell you on most everything. The kicker was at checkout when they suggested that you leave 10% of your bill! That was ridiculous...$180 to have the beds made & room cleaned. Of course we didn't leave that.

We loved the night snorkel but we did not like that you had to follow the guide around during the daylight snorkels. You don't have much time to take pictures. That didn't work very well when you have more then 4 people because when the guide stopped to point out something, you bump into each other if you weren't paying attention....I think e we would where try further south in Placencia if we return although will need to research if it is like that too. We also did the Bacalar Chico trip which was okay but one of the stops was on a very trashy beach. Luckily one of the guides had a friend at another part of the island and that was a very nice place to stop. Not sure why they sent to that first place. Be sure to bring bug spray, as though no see um's are at the first place and also at the museum where you stop for about 15 mins to pay the park fee. The 3 places we stopped to snorker were good but we thought we were going to Mexico Rocks and that didn't happen. Maybe are misunderstanding...we used Seafarious and they were right on time and I think is was worthwhile. Food was very good.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank just1
EagleKristin, Owner, Marketing Director at Blue Tang Inn, responded to this review, 4 January 2010
In response to this review, the management at Blue Tang Inn would like to clarify a few points.
1. Blue Tang Inn is located in town, which is convenient and fun. If there is noise outside our guest rooms at night or in the morning and our guests notify our staff of this issue, we will address it immediately. We understand the importance of a good night's rest.

2. Blue Tang Inn front desk will assist our guests in creating custom packages ahead of time for those that want to have a basic itinerary to go by. Or, we will make activity reservations for you once you are staying at the hotel. All pre-arranged activities can be cancelled 24 hours prior to the date of service with no charge. We have selected activity suppliers that provide consistent good service that meet our guest's expectations and provide wonderful experiences. We charge the rate that each supplier gives to us with no add'l fees. If a person chooses to go out on their own and negotiate with a supplier, then we cannot guarantee their experience. And the supplier is free to offer whatever special price they want to. The advantage of booking through the front desk is that we do the arranging for you, we work with great suppliers, we will negotiate any issues on your behalf, we will charge your room so you can just pay at check-out.

3. Staff suggested gratuity vs. service charge
Most hotels in San Pedro charge a mandatory 10% service charge at the time of reservation.
So instead of just adding 9% hotel tax, they charge 19% on top of the room rate to cover both tax and service charge.
Blue Tang Inn made the decision that we want our staff to provide excellent service and give you a reason to tip them.
So we only charge the 9% tax and give our guests the option to tip whatever they want. Because we don't add the service charge, we must let our guests know that gratuity was not included. We "suggest" 10% as many guests ask us for a guideline.

Blue Tang Inn Owners/ Management
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2010

I could not say better things about our 4 day stay here between Xmas & New Year. The rooms are large (we stayed in #9), spotless, excellent A/C, hot shower w/ good water pressure, and fresh towels provided every day. There's a good kitchen area in each room, in case you ever feel like cooking or eating in, or just stocking the refrig. w/ Belikins for drinking on your balcony! We had large amounts of laundry that they did on our first day (we were in Miami & Belize jungle for the 5 days prior to staying here and went thru multiple changes of clothes/day)...they returned our clean clothes to us 3 hrs later and the price was $7.50 USD, which I thought was cheap! There are 2 supermarkets (one has an ATM) within 2 min. walking distance of the hotel. The grounds are spotless, and there is a great rooftop deck w/ plenty of seating and great views of the ocean & town. The location of the hotel is also perfect - on the quieter north side of town, right on the beach, and a short walk to everything. We felt safe walking on the streets/beach around the hotel late at night. Security from the various hotels patrol the beach area, and the San Pedro police dept is 2 blocks from the hotel.

For activities, everything can be arranged by the hotel. We did the Holchan/Shark Ray Alley snorkel one day and the manatee viewing/beach BBQ (incredible food provided!)/Caye Caulker snorkel/shopping in Caye Caulker. Another day, we just rented a golf cart from the hotel for 1/2 day and puttered around the town to browse galleries/stores, eat lunch at Caroline's Fine Dining (our best meal in San Pedro!). There's also an art gallery owned by a California transplant one or two doors down from Caroline's that has a good selection & very reasonable prices. The town is very small - you can walk from one end to another in 10-15 min, but there are a ton of stores/restaurants in that small area.

After the day's adventures, we'd retreat back to the hotel & drink Belikins & listen to the ocean/enjoy the breeze on our big, personal balcony with an ocean view. A couple of nights, Lunar, the hotel cat, joined me on our balcony. He'd curl up on my lap for hours while I read my book. I'm normally not a cat person, but this is one awesome cat!

Restaurants where we ate during our stay here, besides Caroline's, were Jambel Jerk Pit (great), Celi's Deli (great breakfast), Caramba (my husband enjoyed his meal, but I thought was just OK), My Secret Deli (cheap local place w/ wonderful food!), Waguruma (HUGE portions, w/ big-as-your-head burritos!), as well as some food stands on Front Street for cheap & delicious eats. Fido's has a good bar scene and a great jewelry shop & art gallery on the premises. If you visit San Pedro, don't forget to order a drink called the Panty Ripper, as well as rum punch! Then of course, there's Belikin, which is always in abundance!

Included in the price of the rooms are continental breakfast and pick-up/drop-off from the San Pedro airport. Ruben was our driver - what a sweetheart! The staff here is excellent - all of them, from front desk, to housekeeping, to groundskeepers, to security. Special thanks to Allen for booking our activities, recommending restaurants and for making everything go smoothly, and to Kristen, who was awesome with making our hotel reservations and patiently answering the many questions I had. The staff at Blue Tang were truly the friendliest people who made our stay extra-special.

At the end of our trip, I actually got choked-up b/c I'd miss the people and the place. I'd absolutely recommend the Blue Tang Inn to anyone and I know we'll be returning here soon! We would not stay anywhere else!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TX_Longhorn99
California
Reviewed 1 January 2010

MY mother, sister, family friend and I initially planned to stay at the Blue Tang for 2 days, as we'd rented a house on Caye Caulker. We found Fannie, Allan, Don Pablo, Victor, and all of the ladies to be kind and extremely helpful. After reluctantly checking out and heading to Caye Caulker, my travel mates were mortified that Caye Caulker has geckos (geez!!) on the island, in the house, and therefore demanded that I call Blue Tang and inquire about any vacancies. Allan and Fannie found a room on the first floor for us, and we truly felt as if we'd returned home!! Blue Tang is on the North end of the island, without much of the noise that comes with the speeding vans, and golf carts of San Pedro. If you rent a golf cart, request the gas powered, as the electric is too slow, and the locals are terrible tailgates. :)

I will be returning to Blue Tang and Ambergris Caye!!
Crystal James and family
Long Beach/Santa Maria/San Jose, California

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank CJsurvivor
Seattle
Reviewed 12 December 2009

Because I wouldn't want you to ruin my vacation! If you are looking for friendly people, a small boutique hotel experiance at an affordable rate then sign up quick. I loved the Bule Tang Inn from the time I made my reservations. Kristen here in the states told me all about the hotel and navigated me through their website so I could actually see pictures of the room we were staying in. When we arrived to San Pedro, the taxi was waiting at the airport despite the delay in our flight and delivered us safely to the Blue Tang. San Pedro Town is quite small and you can walk to almost anything from the hotel.The local grocery store is less than 100 yards away and you can get anything you need there, we liked Ricky's the best and his sister Durita is so friendly. It is, however quite fun to rent the golf cart and explore the island a little, but it is not necessary to have one for your whole trip. Just walk down the beach and everything you need is very close. The Blue Tang is not right in the middle of everything so it tends to be a little quieter, except for when Wet Willy's is rockin at the end of the dock! We did not find that it was too loud anywhere, but we were also there during low season. We really liked the staff! Fanny and Allen will help you with anything you need or want, Pablo & David do a great snorkeling trip on their sail boat (I highly recommend this day trip!) Pablo is always there to lend a hand and give a little history lesson about belize. The patio is a great place to relax and the pool is sparkling clean! The rooms were clean and comfortable and the housekeepers even did our dishes for us. They had a light continental breakfast every morining, Toast, some kind of fruit, pancakes or fryjacks and juice and coffee was great! If you are hungry for something more than that you can stroll down the beach to visit the Worthington family at Estel's. The breakfast there is great and is served until they close at 4:00pm. Overall this Hotel/Bed & Breakfast was a great bargin and a wonderful place to stay. There are only 15 rooms which make it quaint and friendly, so if you want to you can get to know your neighbors. Like I said, if you are looking for a five star all inclusive resort with 100's of people and things to do every minute this is not for you.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ToniLovestoTravel
New Ipswich, New Hampshire
Reviewed 22 November 2009

This was our first trip to Belize and it was everything we wanted. They set the arrangements for the flight from Belize to San Pedro and were to pick us up. When we arrived over an hour early, a taxi driver brought us to the Blue Tang which they paid for and apologized that they were not there to get us, even though it was not their fault we were there early. We were there before check-in, but allowed in. The room was ready and the groceries we purchased ahead of time were already stocked. (FYI, meat delivered if frozen so do not plan on eating it the night you arrive like I did)

We chose Blue Tang Inn when we were not able to use our time share as we had intended. We were renewing our vows and needed a location that would allow us to do that even though we were not going to have guests with us. We had a simple ceremony, but I feel that if we had a small wedding there, it would have run smooth.

The staff at Blue Tang were wonderful. On the day we renewed our vows, it rained out and they decorated the location of the renewal at the last minute as I wanted it on the beach if case it stopped raining. They took photos which they emailed me, and were a part of the ceremony. When the photographer was late, they called him then let me know instead of letting me deal with the situation and getting upset. I only wish we still could have sailed on their sailboat for the sunset cruise for 2 as we intended. They decorated the room with flower petals on the floor and a heart shape on the bed while we were having the photos done, and delivered champagne in an ice bucket so when we were done and went in the room it was such a nice surprise.

They offered suggestions to dine and answered many many many questions my husband asked the staff about their culture, what they do, how they do it, what they eat, how they cook etc. They were always pleasant and never seemed to be disturbed when he asked them his many questions.

The place was clean and sand free at all times which is a little hard to do when you are right on the beach.

Even though there is no restaurant, Kristin in the US office offered dinner to be brought in from a restaurant to have on the roof top or under the papala. The continental breakfast had coffee, juice, fresh fruit, cereal/toast, and a hot dish each day. It was nice to not have to worry about breakfast.

Bonus that is not included on the web-site but you should know ahead of time
- They had beach towels for you to use and if necessary, a radio to have in your room.
- a lending library in the front office
- kitchen had necessary stuff, but also included coffee filters, dish towels (daily) and liquid soap which we brought from home and did not need
- general information of the hotel (hours, security gard name contact info, etc) and what is offered by the hotel and nformation on San Pedro is in each room
- large bathroom (at least in our room)
- gas grill onsite ( I knew this as I asked ahead of time)
- outdoor shower by the pool
- there is no phone in the room, but there is a phone in the office where the office takes messages and delivers them (helpful for the wedding stuff and excurisions) or a pay phone if you want to avoid cell phone charges
- fresh 5-gallon water bottles to fill your portable water bottles, so you do not need to purchase gallons of water if you are concerned of the water

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NewEnglandGal-102089
Houston, TX
Reviewed 9 November 2009

This hotel is so great, the staff, Fannie, Allan, and Pablo are so helpful and informative. My friends and me really enjoyed our first trip to Belize, will definitely go back again to this hotel. There are so many restaurants that you can walk around the beach area like Wild Mango, Bluewater, and Caliente really have great foods. Also you can rent the golf cart to drive around and site see. I wouldn't stay on the bottom floor, the third floor would be the best, we stayed on the second floor and it was okay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends