“Paradise within reach!”

Hol Chan Reef Villas
Ranked #28 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We spent 10 days at the Hol Chan Reef Resorts. Our first trip to Ambergris Caye, but it won't be our last! The people were very friendly, the food was delish, the snorkeling and water was the best!

10 steps out of our condo and I was in the pool...oh there's a bar at poolside so you don't even need to get out to refresh your margarita! They provided us with a list of spots to hit, places to dine and excursions to take. My only problem was getting my husband out of the condo...he loved staying at the condo and taking in the wonderful views.

We were actually there during the time that the rentals were removed from VRBO, because of the construction going on with the newer addition. Still with all that, it just wasn't bad. I could lay out on the beach and read, or go out on the dock and couldn't hear a thing. The crew cleaned up so the lanai's were kept clean and the pool was enjoyable.

NOW the BEST part of EVERYTHING...is Joel and Sue! You won't meet any finer people. FUN is # ONE on their lists! They will get the job done and have fun doing it. They always leave me laughing ...the best wit, the best fun on the island!

Even if you have another place in mind to stay...call Sue and Joel to book your excursions. They are connected to the best people with the best prices.

HAVE FUN! You will love everything!
Puddles Bailey

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharla B

Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have stayed at this resort three years running (2011 – 2013 for 7-10 days stays in December). It has been an ever improving experience and it started at exceptional, I am not sure how far beyond exceptional one can go but this is one resort I believe will do so. I have witnessed the transition of the resort from its early development to its current state and it continues to grow in its potential. I will continue to return. The resort was recently placed under new management. Joel and Sue are really there to make your experience the best you can have. They went out of their way to take care of us from the time we landed in San Pedro by having a golf cart ready for us to when we left by having a taxi help with all of our luggage back to the airport. Their support and assistance makes a great deal of difference and I can say it makes this resort stand out. If you are looking for a quiet restful location or perhaps a party, everything is at the resort or within a short golf cart ride or a boat pick-up from the dock. Just ask Joe or Sue to book it for you; done. What is available: the best of food at the local restaurants, or get out for a day excursion on the water and fish for your dinner (small or big), spear fish for lobster, dive for conch and make conch salsa. If you want to have a bit of a cruise on the water, rent (with friends) a catamaran for the day, we did every trip so far. We set up a day on the mainland where we jungle zip-lined, and cave tubed, what a great day. I recommend the full day cave tubing adventure. Although I have it on the list of things to do, I have not visited any Mayan sites or the Zoo, yet, maybe next year. If you wish more thrills try flying over the blue hole or scuba dive in it. This entire set of activities can be accomplished with pick-up from your dock. There is actually so much more to speak about snorkelling, the barrier reef, but … get out there and experience it for yourself…I will be back! Perhaps I will see you there.

Room Tip: Rooms on the East side are best. I was on the 4th floor - dream like ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravelingPanther
Reviewed 27 December 2013

I have stayed at Hol Chan Reef Resorts & Villas twice now and this place is truly amazing. The first time was December 2012 and it was clean, safe and the views were absolutely breath taking. Walking into the place was very clean and tidy and spacious. It is about a 15-20 minutes out of town which is nice and private place to be. I also found it close enough to San Pedro that it was easy to get to for the night life and for general town / tourist things to do. With that said, all the tours and scuba diving that I went on, we were picked up at our dock. There is a retaining wall in front that keeps the beach clean.

The second time at Hol Chan Reed Resorts & Villas was December 2013 and again, another incredible experience. The resort is under new management (Joel and Sue) and they really treated us well. They took care of us from the time we landed in San Pedro by having a golf cart ready for us to when we left by having a taxi help with all of our luggage back to the airport. A true 5 star performance.

This place has it all from quiet relaxation on the beach or their private pool, to kayaking on one of the resorts sea kayaks, to day excursions (being picked up at our resort), this place has it all. Joel and Sue are very knowledgeable in the various trips to take and was happy to book on our behalf.

We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Stayed on the third floor both times. The views were spectacular.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank TravellingPolarBear
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had an amazing 10 day honeymoon here in October 2013. We stayed on the first floor in a 3 bedroom condo that was luxury! I was blown away at how nice the condo was. Beautiful kitchen, living room, with french doors that opened straight to private pool, private beach with private dock and palapa with a hammock. We felt like we had the whole place to ourselves, it was quiet calm and beautiful. The resort is just south of town and it was really nice be away from all the traffic of downtown San Pedro, but still close enough to get to in 15 minutes on golf cart. The condo had dishwasher, washer/dryer, wifi, cable tv, very comfortable bed and furniture, HUGE walk in shower, everything about this place was top of the line! I have nothing but good things to say about Hol Chan reef resort and Villas. The property managers Joel and Sue were amazing. They took such good care of us, and really helped make our honeymoon unforgettable. We cannot wait to come back with family and friends! The three bedroom unit would easily and comfortably fit 3 couples. Stay here you will not regret it!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2013

This place is cool, safe, and has a great management team. We spent 10 days their in November 2013 and loved every minute. All the furnishing was first class and vary clean. This place is as good as the best and better than the rest.
Mp

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed at Hol Chan in March 2012. I did not review earlier because my stay was so disappointing but since I frequently rely on travelers' postings when I am looking for vacation rentals, I feel I should start submitting my own reviews to help others.

Let me start from the beginning with our stay. The first unit we stayed in (ground floor, south side) had a washing machine that did not work. Since this was midway in our trip, I was really relying on a working washing machine - especially since that was what was advertised. It soon came to our attention that a part had been ordered for months, so I feel we should have been told of this fact before our stay. Other than that the unit was new and nicely furnished, although the back bedrooms did not have window coverings and we had to stuff a pillow in the window to blackout the outdoor light that shined through. The prop mgr did allow us to use the laundry facilities next door since that unit was vacant and I appreciated that. The real problems started when I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and found "water" all over the floor. From what we could determine, there was a leak coming from one or more of the units above and leaking through the wall. This was not a "clean" water leak, nor was it a new leak based on the damage to the area which we observed. Long story short, we moved the next day to the unit next door (also ground level, however, this unit had no view whatsoever). The pool cabana was right in front of the unit. This was very disappointing to say the least. On top of the lack of view, the kitchen was not well stocked with essentials, and there were no window coverings in the back bedrooms. As a matter of fact, there were workman outside the windows on scaffolding every morning when we woke up. That was very bizarre to say the least!

I hope the plumbing, window covering and washing machine issues have been corrected by this time. It is my understanding that all units are individually owned. If you are staying in a unit above the ground floor, you will probably be fine. However, beware of the ground floor units. The one on the north looks out to the cabana where people BBQ and hang out, and the one to the south steps out to the pool area where again, the privacy is lacking, not to mention the water coming through the wall.

Overall, I felt cheated for what I received and would not rent from the owner I dealt with ever again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank EPeters0n
MMRentals, Manager at Hol Chan Reef Villas, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Firstly I am shocked that it has taken one and a half years to write a review. In regard to the washing machine it has been repaired and as you state you were given an alternative machine to use. Regarding the water leak, the building was brand new, the leak in the wall went undetected until is leaked through, this was repaired immediately and you were given another unit. The building is in excellent repair and the maintenance crew keep it that way.The management team went out of there way to assist you and make your stay enjoyable
and your complaints were dealt with immediately, we are sorry you felt it necessary to write a bad review after so long it is amazing you can remember that far back and harbor bad feelings , life is too short to hang onto the past.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

This was our second trip to Belize and we may be planning a third! San Pedro is amazing for families and couples, with plenty of day trip options through Suyan Tours, wonderful places to dine, and friendly people. You easily feel safe and at home here. This condo was the icing on the cake. The perfect size for four adults and one child to have their own space. It was very clean and stalked with the everything we needed, including a washer and dryer. I enjoyed having the option to lay out by the pool or on the white sand, or on the dock. The beach chairs were so comfortable! The location of this condo is perfect, a little removed from the hustle and bustle for a quiet relaxing feel, but close enough to hop in a golf cart and experience the town. I would reccommend this rental VERY highly.

Room Tip: Hol Chan is visable from rooms that overlook the water, breath taking!
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family