I’m just going to layout the good and the bad…
Good – Fresh water in rooms, nice clean rooms with TVs, friendly staff (minus the front desk), hotel boat, and new pool (except no pool chairs).
-Horrible/overpriced food. I guess they think the more salt, sauce, sugar, and Velveeta cheese, the better? Stay away from the humus and (stale) garlic naan, (salt soaked) shrimp kababs, and key lime (sugar) pie. They even have the audacity to charge $110 BZ/$55 US for a dinner entrée. Regardless of service they tack on 10% gratuity to everything you eat/drink.
-Sinks and showers had running salt water, or what they consider “well water”. If you care about your hair and like having your soap actually suds up when you shower, I’d recommend staying elsewhere.
-Incompetent Front Desk/Management staff . Prior to arriving to the hotel, my bf had to hound the front desk manager (via email) for our flight transfer confirmation as it was booked through the hotel. After, no avail, we tried calling just to be hung up on – twice.
During our stay, we had them book us a half day snorkeling trip and dinner reservations at a near by hotel. We were told that the boat for snorkeling would arrive at 2pm. However, we received a knock at our door at 110pm tell us our boat was ready. After we rushed to get ready, we ran outside to find out that our boat had left us. We waited 30/45 minutes for another one. “Mis-communication” was the reason we were given…
On our last night, we had asked the front desk to make us dinner reservations at Mata Chica’s Mambo restaurant. We were told that the boat would arrive at 745pm for an 8pm reservation. Again, we received a knock at our door at 710pm telling us the boat was ready. So for our last dinner on the island we had to rush, again, to get ready. We were not pleased. I guess this was a mis-communication too?
-Overpriced Rooms. If you like the seclusion of the northern part of the island. I would recommend staying elsewhere, like Mata Chica.
Overall, our experience at Portofino was fair/poor however, we didn’t let it ruin our trip. They informed us that we would receive a 20% discount off all future stays, regardless of the season. But even with a 50% discount and free unlimited Belkin beers, we would not return to this property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro