We stayed at Portofino with another couple for my 1st anniversary in December. The property is smaller than I expected but that made things more intimate and the service was very personal. Immediately we got to know everyone around the bar including our bartender Orville. It was an excellent social atmosphere but you could easily get away to solitude on the beach, by the pool or on your own personal front porch complete with hammock. They cut fresh handmade soaps for you upon arrival and fresh flowers make for a very special touch throughout the room. The mosquito netting is both romantic and practical to keep the no-see-ums away. We brought bug spray but there was also some available at the bar.
If you like snorkeling, there is a full-fledged coral reef right under the dock, complete with octopus, morey eels, and all types of fish. If you are a scuba diver, there is no place in the world quite like Belize....the local dives (2 dives, 3-4 hrs) with the property's dive shop are truly amazing and my dive master and captain were patient, professional and very friendly. The dive to the blue hole was a full day adventure, so be prepared to be on a boat for a very long time, bring extra clothes/towels in case it gets chilly.
We also did the Mayan ruins tour which was a full day journey. (hint: take the flights not the water taxi, totally worth it) You'll get a little sick of boats if you don't do the flights.
There was no end to the diversions available to a guest and Yolanda was very helpful in showing us what the benefits/drawbacks were to the tours.
We had breakfast every day at the hotel and twice we had dinner as well as appetizers on our down days. The ceviche was delicious! The food was fresh and delicious!
The owners live on the resort and can be seen in the main lobby and are wonderful people. They truly love the resort and want the very best for their guests. What more can you ask for in personalized services?
Overall I would definitely go back and I'm certain my favorite cocktail would be waiting!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro