I can't imagine returning to Ambergris Caye and not staying at Portofino. From the moment the staff greeted us at the airport, then again at the dock when we arrived at the hotel, we felt like they were waiting just for us. We were greeted with complimentary cocktails and everyone knew our names by the end of our stay. The staff is just that accommodating and friendly. (Not to mention the dozens of emails I sent prior to our arrival, all answered quickly and graciously.)
The grounds were my favorite of the resorts we visited. Small enough to feel cozy and intimate, but the amenities (a dive shop, a delicious restaurant, a full bar, massage services, bikes, kayaks, tour arrangements) felt like a true resort.
Even though the resort is a ways from town, that never felt like an issue. They arranged for us to be on the boat when we wanted to leave for dinner, and they either picked us back up or arranged for a water taxi to. Bikes got us to nearby places for lunch or drinks, too. We felt like we got to relax while seeing and enjoying other places, too. It was the best of everything really.
One tip: I recommend you ask for private dining (which isn't an extra charge for guests!) during your stay. Very romantic.
We hope to come back to Belize one day and the first place we'll call is Portofino.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro