I would like to start out by saying that for the people who wrote negative reviews for this resort must be miserable people. My fiancé and I got engaged and the staff was accommodating and amazing! especially michaela. They surprised us with a candle light dinner on the beach and a room filled with flowers! Overall our trip the portofino resort was our favorite vacation so far!
Here are some helpful tips:
The resort is on an island. So please know that you first fly into the international airport then take a 15 min cab ride to belize city which is $25 then take a 90 min boat ride to San Pedro. San Pedro is where Moe will pick you up and take you to the resort. You can also take a separate fight to San Pedro which is more money and might be worth it after the traveling. You can get round trip boat tickets at the dock for about each $30.
We stayed in the beachfront cabanas which had a view of the pool and ocean. The other rooms such as the treetops are set back behind the cabanas. The room was equipped with a nice cool a/c, mini fridges with bottled waters and homemade soap that you can choose. The bed was very comfortable as well as the hammock on the porch.
The resort as a whole was very clean and well kept. The beach is small and you don't have to fight for a chair. the water along the beach is not swimmable but please don't let that discourage you as there is a long dock that goes out to clearer and deeper water. I would suggest to swim and snorkel out there as there are many fish under and around the dock. Behind the resort is the unpaved road with a view of the lagoon. My fiancé also caught big lizards out back.
The food was good. The dinner is expensive but every night moe goes into town from 5pm to 6:30pm so you can eat in town or bring it back with you when you return to the resort. All the locals in town are nice and speak fluent english and Spanish. They do not bother you and are not pushy. They take american dollars.
We went to Mexico rocks, hol chan and shark ray alley. Mexico rocks is free as you can kayak there and very worth going to. If you snorkel or dive you must visit Hol chan and shark ray alley. Very awesome! We were going to do the cave tubing but found out that it is about a 2 hr trip into Belize city for only about an hour cave tub ride. Also the cave water is cold.
The weather was nice. The first day was windy but kept the bugs away. The last day it rained but was still warm. Bring big spray.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Characterized by its warm and friendly hospitality, Portofino is the epitome of barefoot luxury, unpretentious and relaxing… for most; it will be an experience of a lifetime. Our small, boutique resort offers just 17 beautifully appointed rooms, ranging from charming beach cabanas to spacious suites, dotted amidst swaying palm trees, in a private setting with unmatched personal attention and the modern comforts of home. It is a haven of tranquility, where guests will enjoy the subtle sounds of the nearby waves lapping over the reef, gentle breeze, breathtaking sunrise, star studded night sky and spectacular views of the crystal waters of the Caribbean Sea. The perfect setting for a romantic getaway, intimate wedding, honeymoon, family and friends.Portofino offers leisure options to suit every taste. Relax in our fresh water outdoor swimming pool; enjoy a great book from our book collection or simply indulge yourself in a massage on the beach under our hand thatched palapa hut. Explore the underwater world with snorkel equipment or skim along the surface in our complimentary sea kayaks. Delicious meals prepared by our resort chef can be served in the privacy or your beach cabana or suite, on our private dock with a romantic setting or at the Portofino Restaurant. Sip on amazing tropical cocktails at the Green Parrot Beach Bar or perhaps a late afternoon snack from the Green Parrot Bistro. Take advantage of our DVD library and unwind in front of the flat TV screen in your room. Or, simply take in the view. In short, relax and enjoy! Reception in the main building is manned by professional and knowledgeable staff. From, activities bookings and directions to itineraries and dining reservations, our friendly and professional staff is eager to assist you. Access to PORTOFINO is by boat only, and therefore we offer a complimentary meet and greet service at San Pedro Airstrip and boat transfer to the resort, an approximately 20 minutes ride. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Travel Republic (UK), Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Portofino Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Portofino Hotel San Pedro
- Portofino San Pedro
- Portofino Beach Resort Belize/San Pedro