“NOT FOR DIVING FAMILIES WITH YOUNG CHILDREN”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ambergris Divers Resort
Ranked #43 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Well-groomed property, rustic. Quiet and relaxing. Beautiful area. Really more of a camp than a resort. Our party consisted of 2 adults, 3 teenagers, and 1 infant. Large party, 2 week stay - we were a good source of revenue for the resort, but gestures of good will and customer service by management were somewhat lacking considering the amount of money we spent there. Little gestures of good will would have repaid the resort in spades had management taken advantage of the opportunity. Instead we have gone away - not hating the place, but not prepared to recommend it to others in the dive community in the future.

No accommodation for children. Stayed 2 weeks on an "all inclusive package". Ate all meals either with a 13 month old baby in our arms or we had to separate and eat in shifts because they do not provide high chairs in the restaurant. Sometimes we used our umbrella stroller but it was awkward to get this up to the second floor restaurant. No high chair for dining, no crib for sleeping. Seems that it would be such a cheap good-will grabber to provide such basics for families accompanying divers. These are not expensive items nor do they take up a lot of space to have a couple of each available at the resort.

Cleaning staff great, Joe the maintenance guy fabulous - took 2 of the teenagers under his wing and made their stay very enjoyable and was very helpful to all of us. For the most part all staff were very friendly.

Claims to be "all inclusive" are deceptive to say the least and over priced. Restaurant closed one day a week as well - so despite thinking you have already paid for meals you are on your own for that day. Website claims to provide welcome drink, etc. on arrival at resort - never happened. Food is good but menu is very restricted and some items not available as "all inclusive". If you switched a continental breakfast for one from the menu, most choices were charged at full price instead of taking the difference between the cost of a continental and the menu item. Two non-alcoholic drink maximum per meal and they "ran out" of soft drinks on day 3 of our 14 day visit and did not provide them again until the last couple of days. We viewed this as a cost saving measure on the resort's part. These soft drinks were still available at the bar; however, there was a charge for them there. Thank goodness for the store behind the resort. That left choices for meals to coffee, powdered juice, and water - until they started running low on juice. Supper was advertised to us as 2 courses, but typically if you ordered a second course, ie. dessert, you paid extra. We arrived on a Wednesday at around 7:30 p.m. after travelling some 15 hours. Since we had paid for an "all inclusive", we expected to be able to get something to eat - but kitchen closes on Wednesdays and there was only a couple of pieces of fish left from a barbecue that had taken place that night. It was suggested we walk 15 minutes down the beach to a resort that sells pizza. They did then agree to go get the pizza for us. US$102.00 later, we were fed. Not a good start to our "all inclusive".

Diving experiences very good and dive staff were great, but no refunds for prepaid dives even when they did not take place due to weather conditions or resort owner family issues. Prepaid for 18 two-tank dives and actually got in 10 two tank dives. No gestures of good will offered at this resort from a financial perspective at least. $250.00 extra spent on food at the restaurant that should have been part of the "all inclusive" package. Again, small gestures by the management would have gone a long way to us parting as more satisfied customers ready to recommend this resort to others.

Dive boats good to provide free rides to town for non-diving members of the traveling party - saves on water taxis.

Pull out beds very uncomfortable, but we were provided a better bed when we asked. We were very impressed with this gesture of customer service. More gestures like this would have lead us to recommend this place.

Were without hot water for showers for 3 of the 14 days.

The bar was good. Teenagers loved the hammocks.

This resort is ok, but could be so much more with a little more savvy on the part of management. If they paid as much attention to customer satisfaction as to keeping the resort clean and well groomed, it would be perfect. Prepaying was probably our biggest mistake. The experience was ok, but not what we would have expected for how much this trip cost us. Didn't hate it. Had some good times, but it could have been so much more with a few more goodwill gestures on the part of the resort management.

Day we left, resort was supposed to pay the taxi from the water taxi to the plane, but driver said they had left without paying him. Thank goodness we had a little cash left over to pay for the unexpected taxi bill.

Loved our visit to Ambergris Caye, loved our golf cart visits to San Pedro. Side trips to Belize City, etc. were great. The resort was ok, but disappointing based on how much we paid.

Room Tip: We had 5 individuals and an infant in one 2 room suite, but I would say that even their largest sui...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Catherine P

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I Loved my stay It was small with beautiful views! Perfect location. Close enough to ride a bike (about 5 miles great way to burn calories food the great food) or take a ferry, but far enough for privacy. The staff was so friendly and so passionate about making sure you are well taken care of and have the best vacation ever! Surprised me with spelling out Happy Birthday in flower petals on my bed. Treats you like family. The rooms are nice. They don't have TV's in the room, but who would want to watch TV in paradise? There is a TV at bar. The Wi-Fi worked good. We talked and saw our kids by using Sykpe. Had collection of books to borrow if forgot one. Food was good and can be delivered to room. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: all had great views. The secod level amazing view. All had hammocks
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The accommodations were not what we expected and more rustic than we wanted for our honeymoon: toilet not working, water not running, bar not open. etc.. We left a day early (after pre paying) and they didn't even ask why or see how they could make it better. The bar is fun, but was only open one night when we were there. We were very disappointed with our stay and will not return.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank maggs26882014
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Boy, did we luck out when we ran across this place online. This was our first trip (NOT OUR LAST) and the resort and it's excellent staff, more like family actually, made us fall in love with this place. Top notch restaurant. Beach side bar, everyone congregates, very friendly. Raymond the bartender, great guy. Really on top of his game. Across the road in back of the place is a great little grocery store and excellent food shack. My first impression upon entering the room was where the hell is the TV? Then I thought about it, it's a Diving Resort what do you need a TV for? There's one at the bar and one in the lobby. I'm sure if you ask for one it will be supplied. I didn't miss having a TV at all! I did ask for a table and chair for the room, for my laptop and no problem. Leave your dirty laundry on the bed and the person attending to your room will do it! Not expensive at all. Our room was first floor, right on beach, just steps from the clearest water I've ever seen. Tula and John who run the place are two of the most patient people I've ever met. Willing to help you at the drop of a hat. The boat rides to San Pedro can last 10-30 minutes, depending if you're taking water taxi or a boat that's been arranged for your water adventures. We met the nicest people from all over the world, what an exciting time and the area, beautiful, simply beautiful. Again this isn't a staff you barely know, you will learn to love every one that works there, one big family. ONLY sad part, that broke my heart was the beautiful conch shell Tula gave me to take home. I didn't know you were supposed to pack it and instead carried it on and it was confiscated by customs because it could be used as a weapon. Tula, if you're reading this I need a new shell. We will stay here again, it's THAT friendly and welcoming. Also in walking distance to other close resorts restaurants.

Room Tip: Anything on the beach :)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This resort is small and has basic amenities. There are no phones and TV's in the rooms. The restaurant had great food, and the bar was fully stocked. The staff - Tula, John, Lalo, Joe, and Raymond (bartender) - were absolutely fantastic! They made us feel very comfortable and provided excellent customer service. I rated this resort average because, although mosquitos were present and biting even though we sprayed ourselves with DEET, we had bed bugs. My wife had 23 bites in a cluster on her upper thigh and about 20 more on her other thigh. We watched the cleaning lady change the linens daily, but these bugs must've been in the mattress. I did not have as many bites because I did not go under the sheets. Also, the plumbing here is glacially slow.

The location is quiet and remote, which is great if you want to be away from town. It is located approximately four miles from town, which is only accessible by water taxi that is $8.00 each way per person. The food at the on-site restaurant is tasty. We did not have a bad meal. The prices are on the high side, but that goes with the territory when vacationing. Raymond, the bartender, was great! He was very personable and attentive. Joe was always on site and very accommodating. Tula arranged the flights from BZE to San Pedro and was awesome. Not once did the staff pressure us into going on excursions, nor did they try to sell anything to us.

I would recommend this resort if all you need are basic accommodations and simply want to relax and basically do nothing. If you need activities, entertainment, and shops, I would not recommend staying here because of the remoteness.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We came back from a week in Belize and stayed in this small resort. Because of the size the people who look after the resort were all very friendly. My husband scuba dive but I don't. I just enjoy staying at the resort, reading my book while sunbathing and cooling by the pool. In the morning for 6 days, I watched the sunrise from 6:15 to 7:00, have my morning coffee. The coffee is not ready until 7:00 but when I told Charles that I prefer to have my coffee first thing in the morning, I go to the restaurant and the coffee is ready even before 7. Raymond the Bartender is great and mixed all these wonderful drinks; John & Tula is a husband and wife team that manage the resort and anything that we need, they were very accomodating. Joe is so hardworking ensuring that the beach is clean everyday. At the end of our stay, we hug each other goodbye as if we are family. All rooms have great view of the ocean. The hammocks are so divine to relax. The only thing is that it cost $8.00 per person one way to get to the mainland San Pedro. It did not bother me much because I like to simply relax in the resort but if you are the sort to want to always go to the mainland, it could add up. There is Spa nearby at the Matachica Resort. I pampered myself with a sea salt exfoliating massage. it was divine. There is also a very nice restaurant in the resort. One thing is that the rooms are very basic but the suite looks nice but a little more. It didn't bother me much because I was out all the time in the beach. What a wonderful vacation. Thank you to all the staff at the resort for making my vacation memorable.

Room Tip: all the rooms have view of the ocean
1  Thank irene048
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We just got home from a 10 day stay at this quaint, quiet, beautiful resort. We loved every minute of our stay with them. From the moment they picked us up at the airport we were treated as a part of the family. As soon as we arrived at the dock we were greeted by Tula, John, Joe and Raymond who had a complimentary drink in hand for us. They helped us and our luggage to our room and made it so easy for us to settle right in and get comfortable. The rooms are very simple but extremely clean all done by Myra and her team who came in everyday to clean up after us. Each day we had a beautiful towel creation on our bed to come back to, we appreciated their little touches to make us feel special. The only thing that could have made our room better was a dresser as we really didn't have anywhere to unpack our suitcases, which would have been nice since we were there for so long. The grounds and pool are maintained spectacularly by Joe everyday. He does a fantastic job of keeping things beautiful and besides that he was just an incredibly friendly face to greet us each morning. The wait and kitchen staff were a joy to get to know. Lucky and Bird fixed us such amazing breakfasts, lunches and dinners while we were there and they were brought to us by Charles and Val who made sure we always had what we needed. As with everyone else at the resort they were just not kitchen and wait staff they got to know us and we just had a fantastic time joking and goofing around with them throughout our stay. Raymond was again not just an amazing bartender but such an incredible friend by the end of our trip as well. He was always there and ready to serve us and made us the best drinks. John and Tula were so friendly and took care of all of our diving and made sure we got to do all that we wanted while we were there. They were quick to address any areas of concern and were also extremely friendly and honest and we just appreciated all they did to make sure that our time was the best that it could be. The dive shop including Nigel and all the captains and dive masters were out of this world! They picked us up each morning with John there to see us off and make sure we had all that we needed for our diving that day. We didn't just enjoy the staff but also so many of the people that we met who were staying there at the same time as us. It felt like we were a part of one big family and enjoyed sharing our adventures of the day together around the bar each evening. We loved the island and found everyone we came in contact with friendly and enjoyable. We look forward to bringing our kids back in a couple of years and diving and staying here with them. The only suggestion other then a dresser in our room would be better lounge chairs by the pool, it was hard to get comfortable in them without using a pillow from your room. Other then that I have no complaints and when we make our next trip to Belize we will be staying at Ambergris Divers Resort for sure.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for the suite, we didn't but I wished I had. All the rooms have amazing views so...