“Dinner only”
Review of Capricorn Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Capricorn Resort
Ranked #45 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Dinner only”
Reviewed 1 August 2013 via mobile

Good food. Like many places on the island were out if a dish here or there. The stuffed grouper special was killer. Stayed for dessert, chocolate rum cake should be renamed "death by chocolate" it was a huge portion. The service was excellent and ambiance on the beach great. A cool ocean breeze keeps the majority of the bugs at bay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Loved the welcome rum punch, loved the location, loved the lack of cheesy resort feel. Their concierge service and staff were stellar. The food at the restaurant was good. Thumbs up to the basil julep. The features of the room were what I needed (Coral Reef cabana), but there were two detriments I must note with the hope that they are fixed. The air conditioner was ineffective, and there was a strong sulfur smell in the bathroom. Some can live without the AC, but some sleep hot and cannot. I'm sure there's an explanation for the smell, but it doesn't matter. It's a rude, burn in the nostrils smell. It can't be in a nice place.

Room Tip: The Coral Reef cabana has the best location on the beach, but the A/C was ineffective and there was...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daniel R
Reviewed 19 June 2013 via mobile

My parents and I stayed at Captain Morgans Retreat and we heard great things about this restaurant down the beach called Capricorn. Well we ate breakfast there one morning and dinner one night before we left and the food was spectacular. Your pretty much on the beach and the breeze at night and views of the caribbean were stunning. Our waitress was Maggie and she was absolutely one of the nicest ladies I've ever meet. Her service was great and attended to our every need. The one thing I found odd was we all ordered the same thing which was the grouper and I ordered the stuffed grouper. There is no way that it was grouper and I have lived on the coast of NC my whole life and I know what grouper taste like and the texture. You literally had to use a knife to cur through this fish which grouper pretty is very flaky and falls apart and to be honest I swear it had to be lobster. But to be honest the meal itself was spectacular, tasted great, and I wouldn't have had changed it for the world. I just wish people would be more straight up with others especially when it comes to food because if I was allergic it would be major problem. But please don't let this affect your decision on going here because I very well could be wrong but I know that it wasn't grouper.

• Stayed June 2013
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Capricorn for 6 nights in May, 2013. The resort is warm and romantic, with very charming bungalows on the beach. One of the biggest perks about staying there is the proximity to the restaurant which may be the best in the entire country. Needless to say, we enjoyed many meals there during our stay.

The staff is phenomenal. Byron, Jose, Eduardo, Adam, Clive, Maggie, Joe (I'm sure I'm missing someone) made us feel as if we were part of the family. It was the staff that truly made our stay as memorable as possible.

Our last day we did a fishing, snorkeling, beach BBQ with Adam. The private tour was probably the best day of our vacation. Highly recommend using them for tours, as well.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jason T
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at Capricorn for four nights as part of our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived everything was brilliant. We were greeted with rum punch and shown to our adorable cabana (one of three which makes the place feel like your own!). As it was our honeymoon, our friends arranged a few treats for us to find upon our arrival. Kit and his lovely team organised to print the letter from our friends and have it waiting in our room, along with a bottle of bubbly, fruit platter, plus meal and massage vouchers =) They went above and beyond to ensure we had a great surprise!

The staff at Capricorn are wonderful - so hospitable and friendly. The food was delicious too! We also had massages that left us insanely relaxed.

Everyone wanted to ensure our stay on the island was fun. We used Capricorn's bikes to travel around San Pedro and Kit booked us water taxis on a few occasions too.

We'd definitely recommend a stay at these cabanas when visiting San Pedro! It is a short commute from the main town so biking along the beach or hiring a golf cart is a great way to get around and explore.

Big thanks to Kit and the team for an unforgettable stay! x

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

My husband and I just returned from the Capricorn after a week-long stay for our honeymoon. We had an absolutely amazing trip to Belize, and after just a week, the Capricorn felt like home.

The most wonderful thing about the Capricorn is the staff. Clive went so far out of his way to make sure we had a special trip and that we had anything and everything we needed the entire time, and plus he was just a really fun guy to talk to. Maggie was sweet, funny, welcoming and gave us great tips about what to do on the island and what to eat. Kendrick, Byron, Jose - they were all just absolutely wonderful. We had the best time talking to them and hanging out with them at the bar, and they were so sweet to us and made sure we had any and everything we needed. And Kit the owner is so nice, and was so helpful and made sure we had a great trip.

One thing I cannot recommend enough is doing a private mainland tour through the Capricorn. We booked a tour to the mainland to visit Xunatunich (Mayan ruins) and cave tubing with Keith. It was just the two of us with Keith and it was phenomenal. We learned so much about the history, the country, nature, etc. Keith was amazing. It was a little pricier than doing a group tour, but if you splurge on one thing, make this it. Well worth it.

We stayed in the middle cabana. It is simple and nothing fancy, but we had no intentions of spending that much time in the room anyway. The A/C was nice and cold and night, the room was always clean, we were welcomed with run punch and fresh fruit, and we were steps from the beach. They had bikes we used for free to get into town and explore the island, and kayaks we took out to snorkel one day. We took the water taxi into town a couple times, which was pretty easy, and rented a golf cart one day to explore. We were picked up from the airport and shuttled to the Capricorn - and back to the airport at the end of our stay - at no charge - it was so easy.

The food was wonderful. Breakfast was actually my favorite meal - delicious omelettes, fry jacks, homemade tortilla breakfast burrito, huevos rancheros, mmm. So good. Lunch and dinner were great as well. Really fresh and huge portions.

I really just can't say enough good things about our experience here. I mean, if you're looking for a luxury resort with pools with swim up bars and room service, this is not your place - but to me it was so much better. Amazing people, beautiful location, an experience I will never forget.

Room Tip: The middle cabana has a king size bed...the front cabana is closest to the beach but not a big diffe...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Coupeville, Washington
Reviewed 12 May 2013

All four dinners with their specialty, stuffed grouper and coconut mushroom groper. Three of the four came down with a bad case of food poisoning! We are regulars to San Pedro, but will not be returning to Capricorn on future trips. We no longer recommend the restaurant.
This was our last night before flying back home. Traveling in that condition is NO FUN.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gordon S
kitkersten, Owner at Capricorn Resort, responded to this review, 16 May 2013
So sorry to hear about your experience!! Food poisoning here is non existant and Capricorn. Our fish comes out of the water everyday fresh. On average we serve about 50 to 60 people fresh fish every night. We would have more that one complaint if it was our food. Guests do not realize that it can be food that was consumed over a 24 hour period. I am sure you must have consumed food somewhere else that caused this problem!! But we are really sorry that you had this experience!!