“loved it cant wait to go back”
Review of Capricorn Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Capricorn Resort
Ranked #46 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
california
“loved it cant wait to go back”
Reviewed 1 August 2008

This trip was a honeymoon destination that was incredible. The Capricorn Resort is the place to stay. I loved the fact that the capricorn resort was stll a island theme.( not like a big hotel that doesnt feel like you are on a island at all). At the Capricorn you are greeted with a complimentry cocktail and a great warm welcome. The staff are really friendly and always helpful. Once shown to your private cabana, one of the friendly staff members will help you get situated on activities to do on the island.
Dining at the Capricorn is excellent. Some of the best food around. Very friendly cooking staff. Oh yeah, i forgot to tell you, enjoy the food overlooking the water that is only steps away.
Overall, is was the best choice destination for a good price to travel to. Me and my wife really cant wait to go back and MAYBE bring the family with us next time. I would highly recommend the Capricorn Resort.

• Liked — private cabana
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 2 July 2008

I have traveled to many tropical and urban locations, but I never expected how beautiful Belize was! The people are all so warm and friendly and the location was paradise.. truely!
When traveling to a small Country, you never know what to expect, but this was a perfect location to just get away and enjoy peace. The food was amazing and the entire staff at Capricorn treat you like family! I didn't want to leave!
I enjoyed borrowing a bike from the resort and rode up and down the beach. Some of the neighboring resorts reminded me of America and that was what I was wanting to get away from. Many weddings and wedding parties were staying or eating at Capricorn and I could hear everyone talk about how good everything was and that they would all come back again.
I could only imagine how wonderful another trip would be like and I can guarantee, all my friends know how wonderful Capricorn Resort is and they are all getting the number from me to make their reservations!
I felt very comfortable and my expectations were exceeded! Jose, Clive, Ms. Maggie and the entire staff, including the Owner and his family were just wonderful! Thanks for a great vacation!

• Liked — Environment, location, climate, culture,
  • Disliked — No direct flights to Belize City from LAX.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled solo
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 8 June 2008

Our experience at Capricorn was not quite what we expected. The location was good and the food was excellent (although pricey as expected)-- try the tostadas at lunch! However, the cabana (#3) was okay, but needed some TLC, repairs and a good shower cleaning. The water in the shower smelled terrible-- something we didn't experience in the Cayo region. The mosquito nets had numerous holes and stains. Our biggest issue was with a 9-hour power outage that occurred.while we there, either due to a storm or political antics of the power company. We had no A/C, no fan, no breeze and no running water (for a few of those hours). Although we knew the outage was out of the resort's control, they didn't have sufficient back-up generators. There was little explanation from the staff and nothing was offered to make up for the inconvenience. Other than that, the staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't feel like we got a good value considering what we paid.

• Liked — location, view, food
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CindyJV
Nevada
Reviewed 16 April 2008

From the moment we arrived, the Capricorn staff was attentive yet you also feel relaxed. They listen and attend to every need. They also know the island well and are very honest in recommending restaurants and excursions. Their food is great, although when lobster is not in season the menu is a bit limited. They cooked fish we caught to our specifications, and also let us know that if we caught fish that this was an option. They get fair prices for excursions and executed reservations for excursions flawlessly (we were doing things every day, so we really tested their efficiency). The room (Cabana #1, closest to the ocean, one king bed) was very comfortable, and especially since we were constantly kayaking, snorkeling, fishing, swimming, jetskiing, etc, we really appreciated the large shower and ample hanging pegs and clothes hangers for rinsing and hanging our clothes to dry. Housekeeping happens invisibly when you are out, so there is never a knock on the door from housekeeping. They look to see when you have gone to breakfast or out on an excursion and then clean your room. When we relaxed, ordered food or drinks and then would wander off, maybe to the beach or the bar, etc, the food and drinks we ordered always found us without us having to alert the staff as to our every move. They have several kayaks which you can take out on the ocean anytime for free. They also have an arrangement with Captain Morgan resort (2 resorts north) for any of Capricorn's guests to use Captain Morgan's pool area. All in all, I could not have wanted anything more!

• Liked — Attentive friendly staff
  • Disliked — nothing, I liked it all
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Calgary
Reviewed 16 March 2008

We stayed in the cabana which was about 10 feet from the ocean. The room was simple, cozy and nice but the best thing about this resort is the staff and the food. As soon as you step outside of your cabana there is a restaurant/bar full of friendly staff waiting to tend to whatever you need. Whatever you want, you get. You can tell that the people really enjoy working here. Extremely nice people, which makes the experience so much more pleasurable. We tried out a few other restaurants and this one definitely ranks at the top.

Another nice thing about the Capricorn is it only has 3 cabanas which makes it very private and secluded but with everything you could possibly want. We really enjoyed our stay here and definitely would recommend the cozy atmosphere to any other traveler seeking a nice getaway.

Mark&Maria
Calgary, AB Canada

• Liked — staff, food and private setting
  • Disliked — that we only stayed for 7 days
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
New York, New York
Reviewed 6 March 2008

I echo everything that has recently been said in these reviews about Capricorn - we had an amazing time. We made our resort decision in large part based on these reviews so I wanted to give our thoughts:

1. WATER. We did not experience any of the problems will sulfurous water that earlier reviewers wrote about. However, the shower water was a little salty, but manageable.

2. CORAL ROOM #1. We stayed in the Coral room after reading that that was absolutely the best room. Although the room was great and was steps from the water, I think the other 2 rooms were nice as well.

3. COST and LOCATION. The lodging and food seemed expensive but we discovered that everything north of San Pedro is expensive. After doing a lot of research, Capricorn is the best value amongst the nicer resorts north of SP. SP is quite busy (not NYC-busy but similar to a "spring break" kind of place) so if you are looking for a romantic setting I would recommend staying north of SP. I agree with the other reviewer however that the cost can add up taking the water taxi to and from SP, and the walk is pretty far.

4. DIVING. We arranged 2 scuba diving trips through Capricorn which were great! Lots of big animals in the waters near there. At lunch at Capricorn we could see dolphins playing right off the pier.

5. SERVICE. Phenomenal. Good not ask for better.

6. FOOD. Last but not least, the food is AMAZING (but as I mentioned expensive). Everything we had was great - the best breakfast burrito I ever had, traditional chicken and rice for lunch which I ordered several times. I would also recommend this Thai place within walking distance from Capricorn. I was hesitant to try Thai food in Belize but they use local ingredients (e.g. spider crab) and it was one of the most delicious meals we had on our trip full of delicious meals.

• Liked — Food, service
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank barkley75
London
Reviewed 26 February 2008

My husband & I stayed at the Capricorn for 7 nights this February. I have to say I spent about 3 weeks trawling the internet to find a place to stay - we were looking for something slightly less touristy than a hotel, more intimate & got it 100% at the Capricorn.

We stayed in Cabana 3, the one furthest from the sea, which was initially a disappointment, but turned out to be a bonus because it was furthest removed from the restaurant so nice, quiet & private.

It had 2 double beds which were comfortable, the room was nicely decorated in a traditional, rustic style & the bathroom was fine (could do with some TLC!)

We arrived a day early & Kit and Jenna were incredibly accomodating & couldn't have been more helpful. Kit organised at taxi to meet us at the airport & collected us himself on the boat to take us directly to the resort.

Upon arrival we were greeted with local rum punch cocktails & freshly made banana cake (yum!). Their resort is well staffed (18 people employed, but not at the same time obviously!) & they got to know you by name very quickly which made you feel very welcomed & special!

Rated as having the best restaurant on the island, it served fantastic food, but found it quite pricey - although so is the rest of the island. Guests are always given a table, no matter how busy. Breakfast seemed well priced compared to other places we tried.

Couple of things to be aware of:

Beach - there is no pool & the waterside not really for paddling due to the grass & seaweed (& rubbish unfortunately) that gets washed up on the shore daily - although they do make an effort to clear it. They do have sunloungers on the beach & this doesn't put you off sunbathing - it would be nice to have a dip when it gets hot! That said, Captain Morgan's resort next door does allow you to use their pool - just be warned they will try & sell you time shares! The jetty has hammocks & sunloungers too, but the sea wasn't that inviting, plus the sea traffic....!

Transport - whilst they have 2 bikes available (back peddle to brake), you tend to use the water taxi to get anywhere which isn't cheap - $7 per person, per single trip - which adds up for one night out! Most people cycle on the beach (yes, infront of you on the sunlounger!), but the road in the middle of the island is very pot holed.

We did visit a couple of other resorts & by far we made the best choice - would highly recommend the Capricorn!

Stayed February 2008