“A 10 day stay in paradise.”
Review of Capricorn Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Capricorn Resort
Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
San Luis, California
“A 10 day stay in paradise.”
Reviewed 7 April 2007

The Capricorn resort was definitely much more than I had expected. Originally I knew that Belize would be an amazing trip, and as the second country I had visited I had very high expectations. To be blunt, I wanted 10 worry-free days in paradise, and that I received.

Kit and Jena (the new owners of the resort), have been the owners for about 5 months now and have made many beneficial changes to the resort and restaurant. After reading some reviews previous to their ownership, I was slightly skeptical to the experience I would be having, but I was definitely wrong in worrying.

I arrived to find the entire resort lit up beautifully, a entrancing aroma of food, and a wonderful ocean-side view. Also within well under a minute of stepping onto their dock, there was someone who unloaded my luggage and helped me to my room. The owners were also present, and welcomed me with open arms.

The resort was very personal. There were 3 separate rooms, which meant that the owners could concentrate on their guests. This allowed for a very personal and comforting feel to the resort.

To be honest, I expected food to be terrible. I thought to myself that since Belize was south of Mexico, and a third world country I would have to be careful on what I ate. But to my surprise, the Capricorn’s food was AMAZING. Their chicken was incomparable to anything I had tasted in the states (in that theirs was so much better), and their sea food tasted as though it was fleshly caught every morning—the food was simply divine.

Also, their entire staff was very friendly. When they were slow and I was at the bar, they would often come over and talk to me and answer any questions I had. When I left the resort, I felt like I left behind friends. Not just the friends I had gone to see, but also the people I had met during my stay.

The final bonus, which I can list off the top of my head, involved the excursions. Because the owners, and their children, had gone on most Belizean excursions their advice proved very helpful. They listed off which excursions were available and entertaining and then helped pick and choose which excursions to go on based on my particular tastes and desires.

Overall, my trip was amazing. If someone is very nit-picky, they may be able to find one or two VERY SMALL problems, but keep in mind that the resort improves daily. The maid service is constantly at work (and basically invisible to the guests), the owners are constantly repairing and improving things, and the employees are always insuring your enjoyment. This place is highly recommended, 5 stars.

Stayed March 2007
4 Thank Jeff1234

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
London
Reviewed 4 April 2007

We had a lovely time here, the food and service were excellent, Jena and Kit really went the extra mile and made our stay so special! They organised everything and really helped sort the problems we had with the airlines (they lost out bags).

The 'resort' itself (only 3 really nice rooms!) is a great location and the restaurant serves the island's best food.

Ambergris is great and has the facilities and more of a buz than say Caye Caulker next door which is a bit more laid back and certainly smaller, maybe Caulker has a bit more character - beaches better on Ambergris though.

I would totally recommed doing as much diving and snorkelling as you can, it is superb and the blue hole is a great experience.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Our bags not being there
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed 19 January 2007

This resort is fabulous. The place is beautiful, and the owners, Kit and Jenna make the place above and beyond a wonderful experience. Sylvia - who books excursions and activities, is an expert -- very knowledgeable and helpful. The dining room alone is worth the trip -- the best grouper and all around seafood menu plus wine list on the island. This place gets our highest accolades, our highest rating -- it is a MUST for dining at the very least, and we would definitely stay here again -- gorgeous surroundings, fishing, snorkeling, scuba diving, and local trips to the jungle/rainforest, tubing, Mayan ruins all at your fingertips. Our family was here during the busy Christmas holidays -- yet everything was still first rate. Superlatives all around.

• Liked — Beautiful location, fabulous activities, fabulous food, fabulous hosts
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank VideoMAC
salt lake city
Reviewed 3 January 2007

We got home yesterday from our trip to Belize and I cannot stop talking about the Capricorn!!! This was the first trip that I was truly sad to have over... Our family had all three cabanas and it felt like our home away from home... From Jenna, Kit, Bree and Brandon (the new owners and kids) to Tom, Clive, George, Silvia, Maggie, Ms. Miguela et.al. -- we felt like we had just been adopted into their family... The ambiance, the food, the location, the people, it is truly a once in a lifetime experience to have enjoyed... I am so glad that we stayed where we did -- and I will second the other reviewer(s) who have stated it is the only place to stay on the island!!!! For it is quaint and romantic and quiet -- yet not too far from town should you decide to go shopping / bar hopping / day excursions... A 10 ++ for the Capricorn!!!!! enjoy...

Stayed December 2006
Flying from ATL
Reviewed 28 December 2006

The only place to stay on Ambergirs Caye!

We have just returned from a week at the Capricorn. This resort is magnificent and we have never experienced such incredible service before. It was so lovely that it was hard to drag ourselves away from the resort to go enjoy the other activities the Island had to offer. When we did make it out to take in other activities around the island we couldn't wait to get back to the peace and tranquility of the resort. You really feel like a local when you stay at Capricorn and part of the family.
We stayed in one of their lovely and charming cabanas on the beach...so peaceful and tranquil.

We also invested a good amount of time at the and club lounge which is 10 paces from the Cabana and where the atmosphere is quiet but still action packed as you sit around and exchange stories about what's going on around the island. The restaurant rivals any that I have ever been to- the food is soothing and 5 star quality and yet they still maintain an impeccable level of service. As for Breakfast, most people expect a buffet or continental breakfast- not here. You get a personalized breakfast every morning for free! Since there are only 3 cabanas the restaurant is never crowded...just the sun glowing across the ocean in front of you as you plan out your day, sip your coffee and enjoy your food.

Overall I would say this is probably the best experience we have ever had on a holiday and I have traveled to many destinations and always stayed at very nice resorts. Capricorn was such a refreshing experience where you are not nickeled and dimed on every little thing. This is a place where you can truly relax, have unbelievable service, and feel like a local not a tourist.

I will go back to Capricorn every chance I get-

• Liked — Peacefulness
  • Tips/Secrets — Call the owners of the resort and have them plan/suggest your activities- they will take very good care of you
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 7 December 2006

First trip to Belize - wondered why we'd never been before, and know we'll go back soon. This resort was perfect for us! If you want great service in a small 3 cabin resort with an amazing restaurant, then stay at Capricorn. Rooms are good - ours was about 10 feet from the ocean! No problems with shower water - all that must have been fixed! However the best aspect of our week-long stay was the service from all the staff and new owners Kit and Jenna. We started as guests but felt like friends before long, but were still pampered by everyone all the time. Just perfect! It took just one rum punch to switch off from work and get into vacation mode!

The food is great - wonderful flavor, but nothing is overdone. Go for the grouper but DO NOT MISS the chocolate rum cake. Probably the best I have ever eaten, because it isn't too sweet but is rich, moist and a chocoholic's fantasy. We also ate at 3 other restaurants that week. Some were also very good, but Capricorn was still the best.

You can kayak from the beach out to the Barrier Reef and snorkel. I've dived on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, and Belize is hard to beat for convenience and what you see underwater (coral and fish).

This was the best vacation I've had in almost 20 years, and I've been to many places (US, Europe, Asia, South Pacific inc. Australia and NZ).

So you'll have a great time there, but please don't eat all the chocolate cake - we want some when we go back!

• Liked — Amazing staff providing wonderful service
  • Disliked — Leaving it behind
  • Tips/Secrets — It's not a Hyatt, it's like your favorite B&B with a great restaurant.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
7 Thank MarcusS
Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed 2 December 2006

Two Words - New Owners. We found the Capricorn Resort to be an endangered species on Ambergris Caye, what with all the current construction of homogenized up-scale condominiums that's taking place. It truly is an oasis with the true island experience. When they say it has the best restaurant on the island, that's no exaggeration. We ate at three other recommended places, and none remotely compared. Stuffed grouper and seafood crepes were standout favorites for my wife and I. We stayed in one of their 3 cabanas and had a great time exploring the island and waters. Amenities are upgraded, and the new owners are over-flowing with enthusiasm; what a refreshing change from other experiences we've encountered. Another plus that we found was that the staff came along with the resort when the new owners took over, and the staff are a significant part of what makes Capricorn successful. They're close-knit and take pride in what they do. You might as well stay there; otherwise you'll just be spending money on the water taxi to take you there for dinner.

• Stayed November 2006