“Great service and stay”

Changes In Latitudes Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 21 San Pedro B&B and Inns
“Great service and stay”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

Our stay at changes in latitudes met our expectations and was just what we needed in San Pedro. The rooms, while small, were very clean and a great price. Teri was incredibly helpful in getting us a golf cart rental for our stay which was really great to have. It's not really a bed and breakfast that you will spend time at during the day to relax it's really just a place to sleep but a comfortable one! I think in comparison to our trips to Caye Caulker and San Ignacio, San Pedro had less to offer that was easily accessible but we still really enjoyed our stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Great breakfast, and a small, quiet, convenient place to stay if you're traveling alone. I stayed in Room 1 (the blue room) for 6 nights, 2 of those alone and 4 with my sister. The room and bathroom are small, but the point of being in Belize is to be outside at the beach or in the courtyard, not stuck in your room. SO GLAD there was AC! My sister and I fit comfortably with our suitcases, but I think 3 people would have been a squeeze. The room has a bunk bed, with a twin on top and a double on bottom.

I'm glad I picked this place to stay while I was alone: the open common area is a nice place to meet people and socialize, and those I met invited me along on their activities. Everyone was very friendly. I couldn't have hoped for a better location: a 5 minute walk into town to eat or go out, but a quiet respite from the hustle and bustle of the golf carts always buzzing around town.

I really enjoyed my experience at Changes: I've travelled extensively in South America, Europe, and the US, and the level of care Terri showed for me during my stay is nearly unmatched. In addition to fixing our breakfasts every morning, Terri recommended activities for us (and then booked them), let us use the complimentary bikes, gave a run down of all the restaurants to do in town (and which nights to eat at certain ones for particular foods), and was full of advice on activities on- and off-island (such as beach and pier at Ramon's and Lamanai Mayan ruins).

I also suffered from food poisoning (don't get chicken at Melt!) while in San Pedro, and Terri took excellent care of me: she called a cab and the doctor to the clinic, went to the doctor and pharmacy with me, and then went with me in the cab back to Changes. She even gave me a cell phone overnight and told me to call her if I needed anything at all. With her quick care and attention, I got over the food poisoning rather quickly and only lost 1 day of vacation to my illness. Belize is marvelous, but staying at Changes, with Terri's advice, care, and attention, really made the trip.

Room Tip: There are very few rooms to choose from, and rooms 1-3 face onto the little courtyard. I didn't...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Irvine, California
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We really enjoyed our four-day stay at Changes in Latitudes. It completely met -- and in many cases, exceeded -- our expectations. Our room was clean, comfortable and a welcome retreat from the day’s activities. Having read previous reviews, we knew it would be small, but the bed was very comfortable, the a/c was perfect (a MUST for my husband), the ceiling fan was a nice touch for air circulation, and there was even a handy mini fridge great for water and snack storage. The bathroom was equally tiny, but clean, and there was plenty of hot water.

To me, however, what helps to make a stay memorable are the intangibles -- the things that help make a trip feel more like a vacation, with some of the comforts of home. Terri, the manager, and her great staff, did just that. For example, I was expecting an important business call, but my cell phone wasn’t working. I asked Terri what my options were. She lent me a local cell phone for the duration of our stay, free of charge (I did add extra minutes to the phone as a courtesy for her kindness). We had a delicious breakfast every day -- cheese omelettes, blueberry pancakes, huevos rancheros -- all served with fresh fruit and fresh-squeezed juice. When we were concerned our snorkeling tour might have forgotten us, Terri called and confirmed he was just running a bit late. One of the highlights of our stay was taking the beach cruiser bikes for a day of exploring the island. Again, Terri got us situated, explained where to go and was there to welcome us when we got back. Terri also recommended El Fogon for dinner on our last night -- AMAZING! and invited us to the Miss Belize Carnivale contest at the high school -- a great local experience we’d never have known about otherwise.

Changes is in a great part of town --- far enough south to be away from the bar scene, but a close (five-minute walk) to amazing food, groceries and the bank. We also loved the proximity to the water, and spent an entire afternoon lounging on the end of the dock. The other guests we met and chatted with were also great. Would definitely stay at Changes again!

Notes: We were in Room #2 (the yellow room). It faces the courtyard (which helps cut down on the traffic noise) and the queen bed is super comfy but due to the size of the room, one side is pressed against the wall. The sheer and short curtains on the windows do little to block out light or provide privacy, so as others have mentioned, bring eye shades and earplugs if you’re extra sensitive. The gym was under renovation while we were there so we didn't get to use it, or the pool -- check first before you go.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Live_2_travelPhoenix
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Changes in latitudes is cosy and you can tell that it is run with lots of love. Terri was great and gave us a welcome after which we felt at home immediately. The room is very nice and very clean, everything you need is there (and more). We got to use brand new beach towels and beach mats, there are bikes you can use for free (you even get a mobile phone if you take a tour with the bike - so you can call in case something goes wrong), there is sun screen and moscito spray for everyone and there is a nice area in front of the house with hammocks where you can relax and meet other guests. Breakfast was delicious, we got breakfast 4 times and every time it was something else. Here I got the best french toast I've ever had!! When traveling through Mexico and Belize, Changes in latitudes was the most welcoming of all the places we stayed.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

Terri was great. She was our private concierge for San Pedro. She booked everything for us including a last minute trip to the mainland. The hotel is small, quaint, and convenient with a great breakfast.

• Stayed February 2014
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 24 February 2014

This review is for the room called Toucan's Nest. A 2nd floor 2 bedroom suite which includes additional sleeping loft. Toucan's Nest is really a fully furnished apartment with a complete kitchen, livingroom, 1 bathroom and spacious deck. The accomadations are clean and comfortable. This B&B provides a different delicious breakfast every morning. Terry (the manager) is very helpful arranging snorkling trips, golf carts or dinner sugestions. There is also a pleasant courtyard where you can lounge in comfortable chairs protected from the sun.
They provide bottled water as an alternative to the islands smelly tap water. This B&B is 1/2 block from the beach and easy walking distance to many bars & restaurants.

Con - This B&B backs against the main road so there is constant road noise.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 February 2014

If you are looking for a convenient location with friendly staff at a reasonable price, this is a good place to stay. It is a little worn around the edges, and you definitely want ear plugs due to traffic noise, or also in our case, friendly guests chatting away till quite late in the courtyard directly in front of our room. I really appreciated that they were ok with my food allergies (celiac etc) and made me a very nice substitute meal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple