“Filthy, damp, dated, noisy, poor security.”
Review of Ruby's Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Ruby's Hotel
Ranked #47 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 26 May 2013 via mobile

Backpacking often leads you to budget accommodation and I accept that things will be very basic, that's fine. This place is pretty grim even by those standards. My feet were black within 2 mins of being in the room, don't think the floors have ever been cleaned. Bed was damp, towels were riddled with holes. Staff began their duties everyday right outside my bedroom door (ground floor) pulling beer crates and furniture around shouting and joking at 6am. Incredibly selfish. Left my door open to go and pay for somethin at reception, came back and found a man Peering into my room! Turned out he was the security guard. I said "if anything goes missin from here I'll have someone to blame, right?" He said he was "jus makin sure". Course you were mate.

I see I'm not the first to point out security and sanitation issues here. Beware.

Ruby's - up your game!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Rossco79
There are newer reviews for Ruby's Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2013

I like to travel a lot. Usually I prefer to stay in hostels and cheap hotels, or at campgrounds, so I can have more money for things like diving, snorkel trips, surf rentals and tour guides.

After arriving in San Pedro by water taxi (Jet Express; great service) I walked around a little while with my girlfriend looking for a hotel. We were using the latest Lonely Planet travel book for Belize, and found Ruby's Hotel along with a few other low price options. After talking to the person at the front desk, and seeing the beautiful views on the beach, we decided to rent a room for BZ$87 (US$43.5) per night.

The room was barely acceptable, but I'm not really one to fuss over things like the shower head having a poor seal and spraying all over the bathroom, or the sheets and towels having a somewhat funny smell.

What got us was waking up to our door ajar, with my girlfriend's purse and some of my clothing missing from the room!!! We woke up Sunday, May 5 to find someone had entered our room while we were asleep and taken her purse, which included her passport, driver's license, bank card and cash. We immediately went to the woman at the front desk, reported what happened and were told that she would contact the security guard who was on duty during the night. We also filed a police report, though we were told to return on Monday morning since there was no officer on duty Sunday.

Back at the hotel, the woman at the desk told us the security guard had not seen anyone go upstairs during the night (we were on the 3rd floor). We spoke with the owner who scolded us for not putting our belongings in the hotel safe, and basically blamed us for what happened. She did not apologize once, she did not offer any help and really seemed not to give a s*** for our unfortunate situation.

The next night, we stayed out later, until around 1:00am. Upon returning to the hotel we did see the security guard on the ground level deck, playing solitaire. Upon heading upstairs to the 3rd floor deck we saw a local lurking in the hallway. We approached him and asked what he was doing. He said his friend was "partying" at the hotel. Back downstairs we went, to find the security guards friend sitting in a chair, adjacent to the office. We asked him were the security guard was, he gestured to hold on, and WOKE UP THE SECURITY GUARD WHO WAS TAKING A NAP. Back upstairs we went, and the partying local was gone. Waiting a bit, we went back downstairs again to see if there was really any "security" at all. Nope. No one. We made noise, hollered "security" on every deck, and there was NO SECURITY GUARD TO BE FOUND.

Telling our story to locals who had befriended us on our trip, they were not surprised at all that this had happened at Ruby's.

Summary: No security, no sympathy from management, THEFT FROM YOUR ROOM.
Do not support this hotel.

Room Tip: Never stay at this hotel. You WILL be stolen from.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Brookspdx
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I understand that budget rooms are meant to be very basic but I think they need to make a little more effort here. Walking barefoot in the room left your feet totally filthy. The walls were stained all over. The location is central which is nice but it's very noisy on weekends. Not only can you hear the loud music from neighboring clubs but we were kept up very late by people on the beach. A family that sells trinkets on the sand right outside the rooms stayed there very late drinking, talking and seemingly ignoring their screaming children. If you're in town to party then this place might work for you. Stay out as late as possible so when you stumble into bed you won't notice the ick factor.

Room Tip: If you want to feel safe in your room choose one above ground level.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank greenwavecr
Reviewed 28 April 2013

Overshadowed by two resort hotels but this place is a gem for the budget conscious. We had an oceanview with a quarter the price you'd pay at the neighbor hotels. We got a basic room, no A/C, not TV but hey - who's in their beds on a vacation? Not to mention that in the Spring/Summer, there is always sufficient breeze circulating cool air through the open windows.

Great location to dive operators just below and night clubs/bars just down the street. Just a 5 minute walk from where the plane drops you off on the island. Friendly service!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chinga06181977
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I live on nearby Caye Caulker, but I have had business over in San Pedro, and have chosen to overnight at Ruby's each time. The staff is friendly and competent, the furnishings are minimal, but the rooms are always very clean and I have never had an issue with safety. Beachfront views from the large veranda is a bonus! Don't forget to grab breakfast or a sweet treat at their little cafe . The food is scrumptious!

Room Tip: Get your reservations in at least two weeks ahead of the dates you plan to spend in San Pedro at Rub...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Anita D
Reviewed 5 April 2013

Ruby's is a family owned/operated hotel. Rooms consist of beds, 2 fans, small dresser and bathroom. Cheap and cheerful! Great for those on a budget. You wake up in the morning with ocean breezes and the view. A large patio is on all three levels. They insist on quiet time afternoons and evening so it is a great place to read, write (WiFi included) or just chill and digest the colors of the ocean. Central to all amenities. Little bakery in the bottom that makes a breakfast sandwich for 5 BZ (money is $1 Canadian to $2 BZ), ample to please even the large appetite. Their main office (palapa on beach) has ice cold Belikin to quench your thirst. When drinking from the bottle(which everyone does, as it warms quickly) you have to wipe the top and part of the inside prior to drinking. Great for those that just need a base to lay your head..:)

Room Tip: 2nd floor is the place to be, ocean side
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LizAbbotsford
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We enjoyed staying here--right on the water, friendly people, nice decks on all 3 floors. Beds were good, ventilation was good (we stayed on 3rd floor in #10, corner room) and the price was right--$40/night. Is in center of town but ear plugs made it all work. And Ruby's Cafe is downstairs!

Room Tip: The 3rd floor had a good breeze, you had no one above you and a corner room (#10) gave you 2 windows...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple