“Relaxing, family fun at Belizean Shores Resort in San Pedro, Belize”

Belizean Shores Resort
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Tacoma, Washington
“Relaxing, family fun at Belizean Shores Resort in San Pedro, Belize”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

We wanted to go to Ambergris Caye for a long time. Belizean Shores Resort exceeded all of our expectations. We were greeted by friendly, helpful staff on all levels. The resort itself is luxurious, right on the water. We had a full kitchen and cable TV. We kayaked and paddle-boated, played tennis and ping pong. Every day was an adventure. We went exploring into town on go carts and dined at our own restaurant (which had the best Belizean dishes) as well as restaurants at nearby resorts. The best part was the staff. Each and every member was helpful and gracious. We felt like real VIPs! We will make it an annual ritual.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank MelNoguera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

A boat came to pick us up at the resort's pier to transport us one hour to Belize City for our flight home. I realized when we arrived my backpack with my passport and money was left at the pier. My fault. With no time to go and return, resort staff told me they would rush to Ambergris Caye airport and would fly out to Belize City and for me to pick it up about thirty minutes before my flight. It worked! I only paid nine dollars to the plane company. We will return to Belizean Shores for their excellent service, huge clean rooms and easy access to diving. The hotel is right on the water and a pier with full scuba services is right there. Pool bar is fun and we played tennis, used their kayaks to paddle out near the reef to snorkle......dream vacation.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank pafmartwo
San Mateo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here December 16, 2012 to Dec. 22, 2012. It was my first time to Belize, so I put a lot of research into where I wanted to stay and how close to downtown San Pedro that I wanted to be. I kept coming back to this resort due mostly to it's excellent traveler reviews and photos of the accomodations.

A few weeks prior to my arrival, someone from the resort contacted me and wanted to arrange for my transportation from the mainland to San Pedro. She explained that the airplane ride was 20 minutes ($135 rt) and the boat ride was 1.5 hours ($35 rt). She advised that the boat ride was an "experience" but that I would probably be more comfortable taking the plane. I agreed and asked her how I should reserve the flight. She advised me that at Belizean Shores, they'll take care of the arrangements so that I could just relax and enjoy my trip. I thought that was awesome. They didn't even ask for a credit card, just said they'd add the $135 to my account to be due at the end of the trip...totally awesome!

Upon my arrival at the San Pedro Airport, I was greeted by a nice Belizean Shores Resort employee that said he would drive me to my awaiting water-taxi (It was 3 blocks, but still better than walking). I hopped onto the water taxi and took a 10 minute boat ride from downtown San Pedro to Belizean Shores Resort.

Marianne, the Guest Services Manager was standing on the docks waiting for me with a tropical cocktail for me to drink while she welcomed me and gave me a tour of the resort and my accomodations. I was pleasantly surprised and very happy I had picked belizean Shores Resort. Marianne was very charismatic, sincere and appeared to truly enjoy working there and interacting with the guests. Throughout my stay I would see Marianne around the Resort and she would always remember my name and ask if everything was going well. She was excellent.

I stayed in Room # 6C. It was a ground floor unit facing the pool and beach area. It was towards the rear of the property, but still very nice. The accomodations were large. It had looked nice online but 6C was even bigger than I thought. It had 1 bedroom with a king bed and flat panel TV, A full bathroom with a walk-in shower, a fully stocked galley kitchen with all necessary appliances, dishware, cookware and silverware, A four person dining room table and a large living room with a flat panel TV and a very spacious front patio with a large table and chairs to enjoy the view.

The bed was well appointed with nice soft linens and plenty of soft pillows. The mattress was perfect for a good nights sleep.

Best of all, the entire unit was air conditioned, so if you got too hot outside, you just stepped inside. The entire resort has free wi-fi also.

The pool was right outside of my front door and it was well maintained with very nice lush tropical plants surrounding it. There also was a swim up bar which was fully stocked and open most of the day and night. It doesn't get rowdy, so noise wasn't ever an issue. The guests here were more into relaxing and having a good time. Although I wasn't traveling with children, there appeared to be quite a lot of things for families to do together.

The resort offers kayaks for guests resorts to use for free, as well as volleyball, a very large chess board (think small child size), tennis courts, basketball courts and a $5 fee to rent a bicycle all day. There are plenty of hammocks strung up between palm trees for good napping.

I used one of the kayaks a few times because Belizean Shores Resort is a 7 minute paddle to the reef. The guys at Tuff-e-Nuff (excursion company on the resort pier) hooked me up with some free snorkel gear every time I went out and I made good use of all that free gear by staying out there a few hours each time and exploring that reef until I got tired.

Tuff-e-Nuff sells an unlimited 7-day water-taxi pass for $35 per person, I would recommend getting it. You'd easily spend more than that within 2 round trips to town. At least one of those trips will be for groceries. There is also a water slide at the end of the pier and a sandy swimming area there. Great if you act like a kid or have kids with you.

There is a restaurant at the resort, but just know that you'll be paying island prices. I ate breakfast every day at the resort and it was very good (average cost was around $15) and large portions. They kept playing the Bryan Adams greatest hits CD while I ate breakfast, so by day #3, I bought my own CD of Reggae music from a local artist who called himself "Man at Work" and we all got to listen to some different music while eating breakfast. There is also a bar at the restaurant. The restaurant overlooks the entire island because it is 3 stories high, and it has free wi-fi so you can send your friends a picture of the view and rub it in.

Belizean Shores Resort is the perfect distance from town. It is romantic, relaxing and enjoyable. If you want to go out to a nice dinner at Elvi's Kitchen or hit a dance club in San Pedro, you are just a 10 minute boat ride away. The noise from downtown never reaches Belizean Shores Resort.

You are within walking distance of Coco Beach Resort (right next door) it's BSR's sister resort or Captain Morgan's Resort & Casino (10 min. walk down beach).

The grounds of the resort were meticulously kept and maid service was offered every day. On certain nights they have live local bands and events. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and would definitely stay here again.

I highly recommend Belizean Shores Resort to anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing or family friendly place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
12 Thank Mark H
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here in March of 2012. We thought it was wonderful, it was clean, the staff was very nice. A boat picked us from another hotel that we were staying at which was terrible. The captain of the boat asked us what we like to drink and when we arrive to the Belizean Shores dock the waitress was waiting for us with our drinks!! They took our luggage, brought us directly to our room, basically told us just what we needed to know and asked us to come and check in when we felt like it. Now that is service. The pool was nice and the beach was good. You can also use the pool/facilities at Coco Beach which is very nice. I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VW1505
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013

We traveled to Belize in July and stayed at this hotel & also another hotel closer to town. When we first arrived we were greeted with drinks and the manager was very nice and had a great personality. It put a smile on our face since we had been traveling all day. Once we arrived in our ocean view room I walked over to the bathroom and noticed that the toilet water was very high. I flushed the toilet & the water went down but a few seconds later water started coming up from the toilet and the entire bathroom & bedroom started to smell like sewer water or to be blunt "boo boo" (seriously)! My boyfriend said "oh we will just have them fix the toilet.. no problem" But I was so disgusted and wanted to switch rooms. We went to the main office and I let them manager know about the toilet issue. They offered to switch us to a pool view room which surprisingly had a better view than the ocean view room. We switched rooms and of course I checked the toilet in that room and it appeared to be working fine. All was great until we decided to take a shower. Once we turned on the shower that same sewer smell started coming from the shower water in the new room. After about 10 minutes the smell started to go away but it was gross!! I mentioned it to the manager and she said something about the pipes at the hotel. We stayed there for 2 nights and then went to a different hotel and I was finally able to take a shower in water that didn't smell like anything. The reason I gave this hotel a 3 instead of a 1 is because there were some PROS! The room was nice & comfy, the pool was nice, the people were very friendly. A guy came and sold breakfast burritos each morning which were cheap and tasty. The hotel is not close to town so we took bikes that the hotel had into town (a workout) Breakfast at the hotel was pretty good. But if you want the REALLY delicious & inexpensive food you have to go into town. The dinner we had at the hotel was overpriced and didn't taste all that great compared to the dinner that we had at the BEST restaurant on the island (ELVI'S KITCHEN) & we also had a super delicious lunch at (WARUGUMA) If we ever decide to return to Belize we would NOT stay at this hotel. The location is nice if you want to be far away but when your only options are the hotels food you are really missing out of all the gems in town. I also wouldn't want to risk having to deal with nasty smelling shower water ever again!!

Room Tip: Choose the pool view!! It looks a lot better than the ocean view!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank honeyloves2travel
Santa Ynez, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

I liked the convenience of the location. If I needed to go to town, water taxi sched worked great, or I walked. The convenience of the pool, and activities offered were ideal. I also liked the option to cook in, and the opportunity to use the sister facility, coco beach.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank MerQueen
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

This hotel was a little bit older, with a pool and rooms that were a little outdated. However, the rooms were very large (would easily sleep a family of 4), and clean, and the staff went out of their way to make sure you had everything you needed to enjoy your stay. You also had access to the much nicer sister property's pool next door (which was always empty), and access to free stand-up paddleboards and kayaks that you could take out to snorkel the reef right in front of the hotel. The food was mediocre, especially for the price, so I would recommend eating elsewhere. Overall, great value for the price!

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront room prior to check-in - the views are incredible!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple