“Amazing, friendly, laid back, and remote”

Belizean Shores Resort
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing, friendly, laid back, and remote”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have to admit I was a bit taken aback when I realized the hotel I had booked was a 10 minute boat ride from town. What had I done!?! But it is wonderful. I’ll give you a low down of the arrival in detail so you know what to expect. I was worried and would have appreciated this level of detail...

Belizean Shores helped us book the short hop Tropic Air flight from Belize International Airport in the week after I booked it via expedia, and then emailed me the week before our trip to let me know they’d have a taxi pick me up at the airport. I was worried still about how to get everywhere, but fear not! This is all super easy.

Airport to the hotel:
We landed from our international flight, then went through immigration, picked up our backs, then through customs. Then, since we had a connecting flight, we didn't exit the airport-- we just went through some doors to your left. This brings you into the rest of the airport. We checked in at the Tropic Air desk, they put you on the next flight (so you don’t really have to worry if your early or late) and we checked our bags back in. Then we went to the gate and waited until our flith was called. It was raining so they had umbrellas to loan us if we wanted them and we boarded a small 10? seater plane that flew us to San Pedro— maybe 20 minutes? When we exited the small airport in San Pedro there were tons of taxi drivers waiting. But when we said we were going to Belizean Shores, they said, ahh... your taxi is coming. It came and took us what felt like a 5 minute walk away to the dock! And then we were put onto a shuttle boat which also stopped to drop people off at their sister resort, Coco Beach. At the dock we were greeted by porters and hotel staff who guide us to our suite and left us to explore the digs. We were just asked to make our way (at our leisure) to checkin at the front desk before it closes at 9pm. Oh! and everyone greets you by name. It is a little disconcerting, but nice too.

The pool:
I loved the hot tub in the middle of the thing, and the pool bar is very laid back and fun, with the in pool stools. Somehow we always went there or to the restaurant at happy hour where the girly drinks are 2 for 1… Dangerous if you’re a lightweight like me.

The beach/ocean:
The hotel rakes the sea grass off the beach every morning, so it is pristine, but you can’t really snorkel off the beach, and you don’t really want to swim where there could be speed boats coming around to the dock. If you want to snorkel you can do that via kayak, and you can swim in the pool.

Activities:
We only used the Activity coordinators, Tuff E-nuff, to plan local dives, a dive trip to the blue hole, check-out the complimentary Kayak rentals, and to go to San Pedro town on the shuttle ($6 one-way, $10 round trip). You’re not locked into using their shuttle boats by the way, it is just cheaper than the coastal express ($8 one-way) and has less stops… Anyway, the Tuff E-Nuff folks were awesome. AC was a great dive master on our local dives, Manelli set us up nicely with our longer dives and I didn’t catch the names of the others who were also friendly and helpful. If you just want to snorkel, this place is amazing. there are 7 buoys, 3 in front of the hotel by about 5 minutes, out 15 minutes back via kayak (and remember, the kayaks are free to rent). We saw Spotted Eagle Ray and lots of fish among the coral just beyond at the closest buoy (to which we tied our kayak)

Getting around:
If you goal is to hang around in San Pedro you can get a weekly pass for the Tuff E-Nuff shuttle boats, but we really only went to town once to explore and try out some of the yummy restaurants. The hotel also rents bikes ($5/day) so you can bike along the beach to eat/drink at the surrounding hotels/restaurants. The road wasn’t recommended when we tried this, but we found Aji’s (amazing local Tapas) was easily in biking distance and Captain Morgans (where the local convenience store is) was easily in walking distance.

the restaurant:
The have room service, via the restaurant and we loved the banana hot cakes. Also the grouper and the 'beans and rice' were delicious

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank helju

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Canada
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was one of the best places I have stayed at and I travel quite a bit. The hotel staff provide excellent customer service and the resort itself lends to a more community atmosphere. There's not that many units so people tend to be friendly. Spacious accommodation throughout and ample cooking facilities. You can rent a bike and cycle along the beach to San Pedro. Not that difficult and it's only about 4 miles away, once in town there are roads. The pool is great and the each is literally on your doorstep. It's simply beautiful to walk along and very quiet. The restaurant in the resort is ok. The ceviche was really good as were their French fries which reminded me of British chips! There are a few nice restaurants on the beach, just remember to bring a flashlight. San Pedro was easy to get to by boat and the Tuff e Nuff staff were really nice too. My son went on the Mayan ruin / zip-lining/ tubing trip and we all went on a fishing/ snorkelling trip which was great. My tips would be bring mosquito repellant, flashlight and buy an unlimited boat pass.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon this summer. The resort is a great value for a big room and great service! They picked us up at the docks when we arrived on the island and gave us a boat ride back the hotel where we were met with drinks - rum or fruit punch. Our cabana was one of four apartments in a building. It had a living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. It was all very lovely, comfortable, and clean.

The pool was a lot of fun with waterfalls, bridges, beach entry, seats, and more! We really enjoyed swimming around during the day. You can not swim right off the beach, so we really enjoyed the pool.

They also had an onsite restaurant which, as vegetarians was nothing to write home about, but they may have some amazing meat dishes! I did get sick my first day there, but I like to think it was post-wedding stress and not the food. Also, the front desk was very good to take care of me and provide medicine at no charge!

The restaurant has a lot of additional amenities for free such as paddle-boarding, which was a lot of fun! They also have extra paid for excursions, such as snorkeling and diving. It was very easy to arrange trips right from the hotel and the prices were comparable to those you would have found in town anyways! They also had a shuttle service to and from San Pedro, but we opted to just enjoy the resort during our stay.

Finally, Coco Beach, their sister hotel, is right next door and you have access to their pools and restaurants as well! Coco Beach is newer and much more glamourous, so it is nice to be able to go over there every now and then! However, the rooms are bigger, cheaper, and just as nice at Belizian Shores so I would definitely suggest staying at Belizean Shores and then just enjoying the pools and restaurant at Coco Beach.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank starfruit1403
Doug P, Manager at Belizean Shores Resort, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
Thanks so much for the wonderful words and positive comments about our resort. We are glad to have had you stay with us and look forward to seeing you again on your next trip.

We would like to explain about our relationship with our sister resorts. Each resort in the Sandy Point Resorts family is an independent property and the amenities at a resort are for the use of its guests only. The bar and restaurant at Coco Beach are open to the public and Coco Beach does encourage outside guests enjoying food and beverage at these outlets. The pools at Coco Beach are for the exclusive use of registered resort guests and condo owners of Coco Beach. The same is true for all the properties. The common management allows only for room charges to be accepted among sister resorts.

We hope this clears up any misconceptions that people may have regarding the use of resort facilities at Sandy Point properties.

Again thank you for your kind comments, and we look forward to hosting your next vacation. See you in Belize!
Prince Albert, Canada
Reviewed 11 December 2013

It was an amazing time!!! From fishing, snorkel, paddle boarding, sitting by the pool we had a great time. The staff at the hotel were so awesome and friendly. The tuff e nuff team were so great made the activities so fun and you knew you were in good hands good job guys!!! Also if you go there make sure you say hello to Jamel Galvez super nice guy works with the tuff e nuff team he helps you with paddle boards kayaks etc.. I recommend this place our room was clean and felt like home, was nice and cool with the a/c.
Thank you for a great experience!!!
would go back for sure.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We had an amazing stay at Belizean Shores. The resort was pretty and we liked being away from town. I think we paid for a pool view, but got upgraded for free to an Ocean View room which was a nice perk. Though, it seems like any of the views would be good.

The pool and hot tub at Belizean Shores was very nice, as was being able to use the pools at Coco Beach, next door. We swam off the dock, and enjoyed lounging on the beach, but wading in from there didn't seem like a good option so we avoided that. The sandy part of the beach was clean and well maintained.

As for food, we went into town for nearly all of our meals. The menu at Belizean Shores seemed very expensive and didn't have the best reviews so we skipped it. However, we did enjoy our pina-coladas from the pool bar, and the tasty, cheap breakfast burritos for sale on the beach from a guy passing by on his bike. We had one dinner at Coco Beach - it was fine, nothing special.

To get into town we took the water-taxi through Tuff-E-Nuff. We found this to be a convenient way to get to and from town, and their multi-day passes were well worth the money. Note, these do not go to resorts other than the sister properties of Belizean Shores. You can also ride bikes, which we thought was fun, but your feet may get wet.

Finally, the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. The resort was clean, well maintained, and we felt right at home in our condo.

We would highly recommend this resort to both other couples and families. It was a great way to end our trip to Belize.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank MLM7886
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We chose this resort after our reservation at Ramons Village was canceled after it burned down. Now, after being in Belize, I would have chosen differently. Ramons Village was in town and this resort is a 10 minutes boat ride away. We bought the $30 per person water taxi pass knowing that it would pay for itself after 3 round trips. The taxi has several departures but they are several hours apart so you are always feeling a little pressure so you don't miss the boat. We had to hurry through dinner because if we missed the 6:15pm boat back to the resort the next boat wasn't until 8:30pm. No big deal. All the golf carts in town make it a very noisy, busy place. We thought from the hotel description that getting a golf cart would be fun but the rains prior to our coming made the road full of pot holes and they told us the trip to town would take 40 minutes. Plus the cost of the golf carts was way too high.
Our unit was nice and even though we weren't on the water we had a nice water view. My brother paid $300USD more for a unit beachfront and it wasn't worth it. It was poorly furnished (12B) and the bed was so bad he had to sleep in the loft and give his wife the bed. The living room couch was also uncomfortable and the side chairs too. He was very sorry he booked the beachfront room. Our 3D room was very nicely furnished and quite comfortable. We cooked 2 dinners there, once after buying fresh fish from a guy on the beach. The units have AC and several ceiling fans. The water pressure is a problem at times and once the power was off for 3 hours. Wifi is spotty, I got it best when I was down at the beach or standing on the very corner of my outside patio. The mesquitos are a problem, however. The Tuff E Nuff staff is wonderful. We fell in love with Minelli(think Liza, she told us). It was too windy to use the kayaks and paddle boards and we didn't even go snorkeling because the guys told us it was so rough out by the reef. My husband and I aren't big on laying in the sun so we sat under the trees in the shade and read a lot. There's really nothing to do, we took a lot of walks in each direction on the beach. The TV had a lot of free movie channels and we watched at least 2 movies a day. The restaurant on the premises isn't nice and it's way too pricey. We bought breakfast burittos from a guy on his bicycle every morning for $2 each. Breakfast isn't included and was $18. We went there but the place smelled so greasy we didn't stay. There are several other places to eat within a 10-15 minute walk on the beach. There is another condo unit being built next door so be sure and ask to be far away from that. They start very early with the saws and the pounding, my brother's unit was right next to it.
Do a lot of research before you pick your accommodations, I thought I had done enough, but I wasn't that pleased with my choice. Of course, this is all very clear after you've been there!
If you like to lay in the sun, read and basically do nothing, this resort is perfect. If you want more excitement choose a place in town.

Room Tip: We had unit 3D, it was nicely furnished. All the condos here are privately owned so each one is diff...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cindyhart
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I was on business in Belize City and so was on vacation for 3 days wanting primarily to dive the Blue Hole. I booked the stay on hotels.com and received a 44% discount so from my view, a villa (i.e. kitchen, living room plus bedroom) was good value for money. The room was extremely well-appointed. The only disappointment which prevented me from giving the property a full 5 stars is the poor quality of the WiFi Internet connection in my room.

There was plenty of room in my villa for a couple or a small family as the couch folds out to a bed. Staff service was uniformly amazing. I absent-mindedly locked my self out of my room more than once, and was back in my room in less than 10 minutes.

Guests tend to congregate in the pool and the related swim-up bar at the center of the property before moving on to whatever activities they have planned. As a solo traveler, this was my way of socializing with my fellow guests and getting invaluable travel tips.

Ambergis Caye is not Cancun, and that is its charm. But it means that amenities are mostly concentrated in the village of San Pedro. So, some (albeit minimal) effort has to be expended once the restaurants and activities within walking distance to the property have been exhausted. Fortunately, the property has anticipated this and there is a tour operator (Tuff Enuff) right on the dock which can arrange any activity you would like. I booked my Blue Hole dives this way. (Hats off to Tuff Enuff staff who were uniformly efficient and professional.)

As I said, the charm of Ambergis Caye is that it is not built up. Here are some tips for getting around. There are many options. Note that Belizean Shores staff are able to arrange any and all transfers or transportation options that you would want.

- You are an additional complementary, 10 minute boat ride away from Belizean Shores once you arrive in San Pedro (usually landing at the local airport from the International Airport in Belize City). If you want to take advantage of the kitchen in your Villa you need to buy supplies in town. On arrival, your boat captain may offer the option of shopping for groceries in San Pedro, take advantage of it.

- Walk. Bring a flashlight for evening excursions along the beach. It is almost a necessity to walk at night as meal options on the property will be exhausted pretty quickly. Walking the distance to San Pedro seems to me to be too much effort, but others have done it.

- Rent a bicycle for ($5) a day. From Belizean Shores this is for the relatively fit and moderately experienced bike handler. It is between 40-20 minutes (depending on fitness level) biking along the beach to get to San Pedro. It is an awesome way of touring the Island as you will get to know pretty quickly what amenities are available on other properties and there are many.

- Rent a golf cart. I did not do this. My advice was it is not recommended.

- Water Taxi. Can be arranged to leave from the Belizean Shores dock to San Pedro or other destinations.

While I did not do this, I would have like to take a day trip to the even more chill (hard to believe!) and smaller Caye Caulker. Think of San Pedro 5-7 years ago.

All in all, customer service was what made my stay. Thanks to all.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo