I have to admit I was a bit taken aback when I realized the hotel I had booked was a 10 minute boat ride from town. What had I done!?! But it is wonderful. I’ll give you a low down of the arrival in detail so you know what to expect. I was worried and would have appreciated this level of detail...
Belizean Shores helped us book the short hop Tropic Air flight from Belize International Airport in the week after I booked it via expedia, and then emailed me the week before our trip to let me know they’d have a taxi pick me up at the airport. I was worried still about how to get everywhere, but fear not! This is all super easy.
Airport to the hotel:
We landed from our international flight, then went through immigration, picked up our backs, then through customs. Then, since we had a connecting flight, we didn't exit the airport-- we just went through some doors to your left. This brings you into the rest of the airport. We checked in at the Tropic Air desk, they put you on the next flight (so you don’t really have to worry if your early or late) and we checked our bags back in. Then we went to the gate and waited until our flith was called. It was raining so they had umbrellas to loan us if we wanted them and we boarded a small 10? seater plane that flew us to San Pedro— maybe 20 minutes? When we exited the small airport in San Pedro there were tons of taxi drivers waiting. But when we said we were going to Belizean Shores, they said, ahh... your taxi is coming. It came and took us what felt like a 5 minute walk away to the dock! And then we were put onto a shuttle boat which also stopped to drop people off at their sister resort, Coco Beach. At the dock we were greeted by porters and hotel staff who guide us to our suite and left us to explore the digs. We were just asked to make our way (at our leisure) to checkin at the front desk before it closes at 9pm. Oh! and everyone greets you by name. It is a little disconcerting, but nice too.
I loved the hot tub in the middle of the thing, and the pool bar is very laid back and fun, with the in pool stools. Somehow we always went there or to the restaurant at happy hour where the girly drinks are 2 for 1… Dangerous if you’re a lightweight like me.
The hotel rakes the sea grass off the beach every morning, so it is pristine, but you can’t really snorkel off the beach, and you don’t really want to swim where there could be speed boats coming around to the dock. If you want to snorkel you can do that via kayak, and you can swim in the pool.
We only used the Activity coordinators, Tuff E-nuff, to plan local dives, a dive trip to the blue hole, check-out the complimentary Kayak rentals, and to go to San Pedro town on the shuttle ($6 one-way, $10 round trip). You’re not locked into using their shuttle boats by the way, it is just cheaper than the coastal express ($8 one-way) and has less stops… Anyway, the Tuff E-Nuff folks were awesome. AC was a great dive master on our local dives, Manelli set us up nicely with our longer dives and I didn’t catch the names of the others who were also friendly and helpful. If you just want to snorkel, this place is amazing. there are 7 buoys, 3 in front of the hotel by about 5 minutes, out 15 minutes back via kayak (and remember, the kayaks are free to rent). We saw Spotted Eagle Ray and lots of fish among the coral just beyond at the closest buoy (to which we tied our kayak)
If you goal is to hang around in San Pedro you can get a weekly pass for the Tuff E-Nuff shuttle boats, but we really only went to town once to explore and try out some of the yummy restaurants. The hotel also rents bikes ($5/day) so you can bike along the beach to eat/drink at the surrounding hotels/restaurants. The road wasn’t recommended when we tried this, but we found Aji’s (amazing local Tapas) was easily in biking distance and Captain Morgans (where the local convenience store is) was easily in walking distance.
The have room service, via the restaurant and we loved the banana hot cakes. Also the grouper and the 'beans and rice' were delicious
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A small, casual and comfortable resort, Belizean Shores is the perfect choice for travelers seeking adventure or peaceful relaxation. Our resort features a brilliant pool, pool side snack service, a fun swim up bar, onsite concierge and one of the island’s highest rated tour operations right onsite. Complimentary kayaks and paddle boards are available during the day along with giant chess, ping pong and a dual basketball/tennis court. Bicycle and golf cart rentals can easily be arranged at the front desk as can waterfront or in-room spa services. Located right on the water, guests can also enjoy swimming in the warm Caribbean right from our dock. Located 3.5 miles north of San Pedro town, the resort is outside of the hustle and bustle of town, yet easily accessible via water taxi or ground taxi service or bicycle or golf cart rental. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Evoline ltd, Hotel.de, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Belizean Shores Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Belizean Shores Hotel San Pedro
- Belizean Shores San Pedro
- Belizean Shores Resort Belize/San Pedro