“Wonderful experience”

Belizean Shores Resort
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I just spent 12 days there and thought it was a really first class operation. The grounds are pretty, the units attractive and kept spotless. Pool and great hot hot tub. I am taking the time to write mostly because of the outstanding and delightful services provided by the staff. Every single interaction with all staff members was simply perfect: they were instantly responsive, always available and happy and cheerful. In hundreds of hotels I never saw a group better trained and motivated to provide such outstanding services. I can't imagine that anyone staying there wouldn't come away with a smile to have been treated so well in such a pretty place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I have stayed at Belizean Shores Resort 4 or 5 times now and have always had a good experience. I have stayed there solo, with a friend, and also with my two teens. Each stay was consistent--the condos are clean, well-maintained, comfortably furnished, and kitchens are fully equipped for those who want to cook. The pool and hot tub are pristine, the laundry facilities great for those who need them, and golf cart rentals and bicycles are available and priced at local market rates. Free kayaks and paddle boards make it possible to head out to the reef whenever you like for snorkeling or just enjoying the water and the view.

The staff at Belizean Shores are simply the best! From the moment you are greeted at the boat dock til your last drink at the swim up bar, everyone is smiling, friendly, and helpful. Whatever you need, they can hook you up. The resort's Island Tavern restaurant is managed by a separate company but has the same caliber of wait staff--very friendly and helpful. The food is tasty although choices are limited but prices are reasonable for the island. Have the classic Belizean breakfast and you won't be hungry again until nightfall! And it's an easy walk to several other good places to eat (Capricon, Captain Morgan's, etc) if you don't want to leave the island..BUT the best food is found in the town of San Pedro--don't miss Wuruguma's.

For total relaxation, massage is available in room or on the beach as you prefer. The front desk will arrange it for you and the local body workers they use are all excellent.

The Belizean Shores Resort is a great place to stay for the classic sun/beach/pool resort vacation or as a home base while you are exploring the natural beauty of the land and sea of Belize.

Room Tip: Come prepared to either use the water taxi (small boat) or rent a golf cart or bicycle if you want t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Julia A
Reviewed 25 December 2013

A great hideaway , with no commercial intrusion or disturbance.
Clean ocean, clean pool.

Away from noisy San Pedro Town.

This was our second visit to this great resort, but a few things have changed or became less efficient, the Housekeeping has dropped, you have to ask for everything and the follow up is poor.

Phone not working for 3 days , Wifi always off or cut, hard to re connect.

Guest Laundry , Coin operated, was used by Reception Staff all day, we had to wait for the following day.

For dining, we used the Pub - Tavern Restaurant, the Co Co Beach Restaurant and La Terrazas, all where very pleasant. Room Service from the Pub - Tavern, was great and timely.

The GRO , was trying to make reservations at the Blue Water Grill and the Capricorn Restaurant for us, but our not so eventful experience from our past visit to this Dining Spots, made us decline this offers.

A nice Resort at a great location.

Room Tip: Beach Front Units, others may face Construction noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul V
Reviewed 25 December 2013

The resort is fine. It's clean and well maintained, but everything in the suites is a bit outdated. The biggest problem we had was that things kept breaking on us during our visit. First we were given a suite that smelled of sewage (or something like that), so they quickly solved the problem, and assigned us to another suite! However, the new room had a fridge that wasn't working. Again, they quickly resolved the issue, by replacing the fridge (later that day), when they discovered it wasn't getting cold! Later that week, our shower backed up, and someone from maintenance had to come pump our shower. And to top it all off the sound for the TV in our room would mysteriously shut off for the night, any time we used it, halfway through a movie (and the remote never worked). It was annoying that things kept going wrong with the rooms, but my boyfriend and I were both really pleased with the friendly staff and how quickly they resolved any issues we encountered. With that said, I wouldn't exactly say that this is a 'nice' resort.

It was, however, awesome to be able to use the services of the sister resort, Coco Beach, which is much nicer than Belizean Shores (and much more expensive). The food at Coco Beach was much better than the food at Belizean Shores, and since it's a short walk away, I recommend it for lunch. Other than that, the water taxi pass that Belizean Shores offers was great for trying restaurants in San Pedro or elsewhere on the island.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Read all the great reviews- very accurate, From arrival to departure -all as described-will not bore you by repeating. However want to add this-when departing, got to Tropic Air & my wife discovered that she did not have her purse. Tropic called the resort & maid had found on the dresser & turned it in, They gave it to the boat captain who rushed it toTropic Air & we made our flight.( had cash, credit card, Soc.Sec. 7 other medical cards,ID etc.,etc.)
Ok, one more-I had my 78th birthday there(wife is 74) & Tuff Enough went above & beyond on our dive & snorkel at Hol Chan. We also snorkeled in front of the resort- a short few min.to reef.I had concerns about getting back into the kayak -so, I made a small, light ladder with rope a couple 10 in. lengths of garden hose & 2 brass catches to attach to the kayak-rolled up into next to nothing- worked great-2 steps and enough rope to reach to the opposite side(inside) for stability. Who says old dogs can't learn new tricks. OK,OK -one more ,ordered basic food to hold us for a couple days-delivered a little late the day of arrival-BUT, in the middle of a down pour/storm. Another beyond the call! Thanks for a great vacation San Pedro!

Room Tip: Ocean front upper 12D-you won't regret it!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TROUBLESHEP
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I have to admit I was a bit taken aback when I realized the hotel I had booked was a 10 minute boat ride from town. What had I done!?! But it is wonderful. I’ll give you a low down of the arrival in detail so you know what to expect. I was worried and would have appreciated this level of detail...

Belizean Shores helped us book the short hop Tropic Air flight from Belize International Airport in the week after I booked it via expedia, and then emailed me the week before our trip to let me know they’d have a taxi pick me up at the airport. I was worried still about how to get everywhere, but fear not! This is all super easy.

Airport to the hotel:
We landed from our international flight, then went through immigration, picked up our backs, then through customs. Then, since we had a connecting flight, we didn't exit the airport-- we just went through some doors to your left. This brings you into the rest of the airport. We checked in at the Tropic Air desk, they put you on the next flight (so you don’t really have to worry if your early or late) and we checked our bags back in. Then we went to the gate and waited until our flith was called. It was raining so they had umbrellas to loan us if we wanted them and we boarded a small 10? seater plane that flew us to San Pedro— maybe 20 minutes? When we exited the small airport in San Pedro there were tons of taxi drivers waiting. But when we said we were going to Belizean Shores, they said, ahh... your taxi is coming. It came and took us what felt like a 5 minute walk away to the dock! And then we were put onto a shuttle boat which also stopped to drop people off at their sister resort, Coco Beach. At the dock we were greeted by porters and hotel staff who guide us to our suite and left us to explore the digs. We were just asked to make our way (at our leisure) to checkin at the front desk before it closes at 9pm. Oh! and everyone greets you by name. It is a little disconcerting, but nice too.

The pool:
I loved the hot tub in the middle of the thing, and the pool bar is very laid back and fun, with the in pool stools. Somehow we always went there or to the restaurant at happy hour where the girly drinks are 2 for 1… Dangerous if you’re a lightweight like me.

The beach/ocean:
The hotel rakes the sea grass off the beach every morning, so it is pristine, but you can’t really snorkel off the beach, and you don’t really want to swim where there could be speed boats coming around to the dock. If you want to snorkel you can do that via kayak, and you can swim in the pool.

Activities:
We only used the Activity coordinators, Tuff E-nuff, to plan local dives, a dive trip to the blue hole, check-out the complimentary Kayak rentals, and to go to San Pedro town on the shuttle ($6 one-way, $10 round trip). You’re not locked into using their shuttle boats by the way, it is just cheaper than the coastal express ($8 one-way) and has less stops… Anyway, the Tuff E-Nuff folks were awesome. AC was a great dive master on our local dives, Manelli set us up nicely with our longer dives and I didn’t catch the names of the others who were also friendly and helpful. If you just want to snorkel, this place is amazing. there are 7 buoys, 3 in front of the hotel by about 5 minutes, out 15 minutes back via kayak (and remember, the kayaks are free to rent). We saw Spotted Eagle Ray and lots of fish among the coral just beyond at the closest buoy (to which we tied our kayak)

Getting around:
If you goal is to hang around in San Pedro you can get a weekly pass for the Tuff E-Nuff shuttle boats, but we really only went to town once to explore and try out some of the yummy restaurants. The hotel also rents bikes ($5/day) so you can bike along the beach to eat/drink at the surrounding hotels/restaurants. The road wasn’t recommended when we tried this, but we found Aji’s (amazing local Tapas) was easily in biking distance and Captain Morgans (where the local convenience store is) was easily in walking distance.

the restaurant:
The have room service, via the restaurant and we loved the banana hot cakes. Also the grouper and the 'beans and rice' were delicious

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank helju
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This was one of the best places I have stayed at and I travel quite a bit. The hotel staff provide excellent customer service and the resort itself lends to a more community atmosphere. There's not that many units so people tend to be friendly. Spacious accommodation throughout and ample cooking facilities. You can rent a bike and cycle along the beach to San Pedro. Not that difficult and it's only about 4 miles away, once in town there are roads. The pool is great and the each is literally on your doorstep. It's simply beautiful to walk along and very quiet. The restaurant in the resort is ok. The ceviche was really good as were their French fries which reminded me of British chips! There are a few nice restaurants on the beach, just remember to bring a flashlight. San Pedro was easy to get to by boat and the Tuff e Nuff staff were really nice too. My son went on the Mayan ruin / zip-lining/ tubing trip and we all went on a fishing/ snorkelling trip which was great. My tips would be bring mosquito repellant, flashlight and buy an unlimited boat pass.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family