“Groupon at Exotic Caye”

Exotic Caye Beach Resort
Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We found a groupon and it has been a great experience. The cost of the room is competitive and it came with meals in two very good restaurants (Melt and Spice it up) as well as a great snorkeling trip right off the local dock. The rooms are nice, spacious, with a kitchenette. It's not the Ritz but we didn't pay Ritz prices nor expect that. It's clean with friendly staff. There is a pricey but fairly well stocked grocery store within walking distance. The staff might want to respond to emails about incidentals and other questions more quickly than they do, and the beach is not the best to swim in-reedy and rocky. Beautiful setting, have been around town and don't see much that I would say is better, especially for the cost and amenities. It's noisy, tight on a main road so bring earplugs. Advertised YOGA but the instructor left.

5  Thank joanchicagoIL

Reviewed 16 January 2014

If you're just interested in diving and snorkeling, then this would be an adequate place to stay because it is teeming with marine life, the water is clear, and there are lots of dive shops. But, if you're wanting to lay on plush beach lounging chairs and swim off shore, don't stay here....on anywhere on the island or Belize due to most resorts being out dated and the beaches un-swimmable due to the sea grass (which I found out about AFTER I booked!). We did stumble across a pier of a neighboring resort that we "borrowed" because they had stairs to the water and had cleared the sea grass away. But, there were only 4 lounge chairs on the pier...thankfully we happened to snag them, but if we hadn't then I don't know what we would have done. The on-site pool was so small it was funny, but OK if you just want to jump in and out to cool off. The website shows a beautiful pool that you have access to...and you do...except that it's a bit of a walk down some side street, is run-down, and so abandoned that I would not feel safe there (we walked to take a look at it and never went back). The rooms were very clean, but again, just out dated. If you have small children, this is NOT the place for you as I think it would be difficult to keep them entertained. The Melt café was delicious for breakfast and lunch, and the Crazy Canuch's bar/restaurant was great too. The staff was super friendly and helpful, and we did feel safe the entire time (although I would have liked the room to have had a safe). The location was better than the resorts north of San Pedro because it had a better road system (people get around on golf carts/bikes/foot) and we more "alive". It seemed like the area north of San Pedro had lots of large resorts, but hardly any guests...kind of eerie and weird. The entire island is in a strange state with some resorts that looked they like were beautiful back in the day and now completely abandoned, others that seemed to be hanging on by a thread, and then some new construction going on...strange.

Room Tip: Units 7 and 6 are noisy as they are next to the outdoor bar and behind them (across the street) is a...
19  Thank Jane B
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here for a week and loved it! The only issue we encountered was the patio door to our room didn't lock well, it took some time to get used to the finikyness and my 7 year old was unable to open and close it, but that's it! The people were really friendly and even helped us look for a barbie shirt that flew away. The pool is very small, but not busy. Outdoor hammocks too! I recommend it!

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have lofts for extra sleeping room.
1  Thank Audrey C
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Good place to stay at. Close to restaurants and diving. Diving shop off the pier is NOT good. Use Ramon's. Rooms are clean and tidy. Melt cafe is good for breakfast and lunch.
There are two friendly cats on property who come and visit. White one, Jeany, is 14 years old - be nice to her.
You can swim off the pier, but not off the beach....too much seaweed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank schernov
Reviewed 1 January 2014

This place is a diamond in the rough. It is in a great location, close to town and in a safe area. They had a guard on the premises. It was well lit. The staff is super nice and helpful. The beach was nice and never crowded. However, this not a five star resort. The amenities are dated, the little pool is too small. The big pool was too far away and filthy. And much like the rest of San Pedro, you can't really swim in the ocean. The palm trees block the view but should be okay in ten years when they are taller. But that being said this hotel is still a great, relaxed, clean and friendly beach resort. Oh, they have a really cool cat who belongs to the owners of the restaurant on the premises. Her name is Janie and if you give her a comfortable chair and a couple of treats, she'll hang out on your porch with you.

Room Tip: The lower floor actually had a better view because you could see under the palm trees.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Mommacassy
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed there over Thanksgiving - nice location and very nice staff. It was a bit rustic, but I expected that. We had a Groupon which included breakfast each day and dinner so we ate on site. One day we rented a golf cart and toured quite a bit of the island.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DoubleNa
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We stayed here over the Christmas holiday. After reading good reviews on TA, we booked 6 nights and paid in advance. I was told if I booked by the end of October, we would get the honeymoon suite for the price of a standard suite. Sounds awesome, right? Upon arrival, the manager was not present (it was a Sunday so I understood) and we were in a standard suite. I showed the employee the email chain showing what I had been promised but I was told it was not available. So be it. We were in Belize and had traveled on a red eye to get there. We checked into suite 2A, a first floor unit that was in serious need of updating. Everything looked really old like from the early 80s. Since I was told this was the unit they had for us, we checked in. Day one, our sliding door kept falling off the track. After two nights we saw our first bug in the bathroom. By the third night after a day of diving, I saw a cockroach larger than a small dog. Since it was after hours, I wrote an email stating the issues we encountered and said I would be at the office first thing to get another room.

The next morning (Christmas Day) I was there at 8am sharp. The manager was present and has apparently read my email from the night before. She told me that she had no other rooms available and that they could not call an exterminator. Basically I had to accept this room as is. That was unacceptable. Knowing that some units were empty, I asked again to get another suite and reminded her of the emails stating we were supposed to have the honeymoon suite. I said if that was not possible to refund me for the previous night and unused nights. At first, she balked stating their refund policy prevented her from doing that. After much back and forth, she "found" a room- suite 3b- another ground level unit next door that was MUCH nicer, updated and most importantly, bug free.

Bottom line was that the location was great, about 1/2 mile outside of town, an easy walk and beach access, although you can't really swim with all of the sea grass. The on site restaurant -Melt- was excellent for breakfast and lunch. Just make sure you view the room in advance and bring any emails as back up.

Rooms in buildings 6-7 are close to the bar which can be noisy. The bar, Crazy Canuck's is very popular with locals and tourists so it's a great place to hang out but be prepared for noise til 11pm or later. Buildings 1-3 were further away and less noisy.

Room Tip: Lower numbered buildings are further away from Crazy Canucks, the beach bar that draws a crowd.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple