It is hard to put into words what Xanadu -- the staff, the grounds, the location -- meant to our vacation.
After a frustrating 24 hours of broken-down flights, the run-around from our airline, a sketchy stay in Guatemala City, and subsequent 2 missed flights later, the staff at Xanadu welcomed us with open arms when we finally arrived -- even called TropicAir to reschedule our flight, and ensuring us that our room would be waiting for us when we arrived. They arranged for a taxi to meet us at the airport, picked up the tab and tip, and greeted us with complimentary rum punch upon arrival.
The room we wanted wasn't available for all 6 nights, so they gave us an upgraded, 2-bedroom suite at a discounted price for all 6 of our nights! It was immaculately clean, and even though it wasn't an 'ocean-view' room, we had a wonderful view of the ocean from our patio's hammock.
[NOTE: buy duty-free alcohol at the airport!! Alcohol is EXTREMELY expensive at the grocery stores, even by L.A. standards. This saved us a ton of money. Also, renting a golf cart is a must. We are athletic, and walk pretty much anywhere -- however, town is a good distance away (which offers more privacy and seclusion, in my opinion) and there are lots of great places to eat in town. You will want a golf cart, especially for traveling at night. But, I digress.]
One day, while riding in said golf cart, my purse was stolen and/or fell off on the dirt roads north of the bridge. With all of our cash and credit cards, of course (yes, huge mistake on our part). Which meant, we had ZERO money for food, snacks... ANYTHING. When we went to the office nearing closing hours to ask for some advice, Cathy immediately pulled out $300 Belizean, handed it to us, and said, "We want you to have a good time, and you need to eat! Go out to a great restaurant, and if you need more money, come ask me, even if it's in the middle of the night!"
THAT, my friends, is customer service.
She wrote out a special 'loan' for us, we signed it saying we would pay back the money, and even when our overnighted credit card didn't arrive (thanks, again, to a flight being cancelled), they loaned us even MORE money, sat in the office way after hours, and spoke on the phone directly with our bank to help us get the funds we needed. Heads up, people -- most hotels wouldn't even think about providing that level of customer service to their patrons. Xanadu is truly something special.
One of my favorite parts was when Orlando picked 4 coconuts from the tree, opened them with a machete, poured the coconut water into a pitcher with some of the coconut meat, and taught us how to make some incredible rum drinks! The activities booked for us were almost TOO easy to schedule, and Melanie did a great job of scheduling everything so that we would avoid the crowds, or so we would have the best weather.
Melanie, Franz, Carlos, Ingrid, Cathy... I have no words. You each exceeded my expectations, beyond anything I could have imagined.
The grounds were groomed to perfection, everything was clean and tidy, and Xanadu has the best grounds and pool by FAR -- and we biked up and down the beach daily, seeing the other resorts as we rode by. The private dock for sunning and swimming was incredible, and there was no shortage of places to lay, relax, read a book, or have a few Belikins ;) There is a nature walk on the premises, where we saw lots of lizards and beautiful birds. It was awesome! The kayaks were so much fun, and there were TONS of bikes to use -- all for FREE.
If you are on the fence, please let me convince you -- if you are on this island, you won't find a better resort, a better group of people, a better location, or a better experience, at this price level. We can't wait to come back one day! Thanks Xanadu!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, Boutique, Romantic and Eco-friendly! Imagine tranquility settling over you like a mist over the ocean; kick off your shoes and stroll amongst the natural vegetation past the water features and onto the beach. Breathe in the fresh ocean air as you wander down the long pier to relax on the sun loungers under the thatched palapa and gaze out over the barrier reef to the deep blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. Settle in and experience the uniqueness of the monolithic dome buildings and enjoy the romantic setting of your private veranda. When you are ready to explore, visit the friendly staff at the front desk to arrange tours or to use the complimentary bicycles, paddle boards and kayaks. Experience all this at the unique, boutique, Green Globe certified Xanadu Island Resort – a touch of luxury and romance in harmony with nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Odigeo, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Xanadu Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize Hotel San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Hotel
- Xanadu Island San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize/San Pedro