“More than an amazing resort -- MUCH more.”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Agoura Hills, California
“More than an amazing resort -- MUCH more.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It is hard to put into words what Xanadu -- the staff, the grounds, the location -- meant to our vacation.

After a frustrating 24 hours of broken-down flights, the run-around from our airline, a sketchy stay in Guatemala City, and subsequent 2 missed flights later, the staff at Xanadu welcomed us with open arms when we finally arrived -- even called TropicAir to reschedule our flight, and ensuring us that our room would be waiting for us when we arrived. They arranged for a taxi to meet us at the airport, picked up the tab and tip, and greeted us with complimentary rum punch upon arrival.

The room we wanted wasn't available for all 6 nights, so they gave us an upgraded, 2-bedroom suite at a discounted price for all 6 of our nights! It was immaculately clean, and even though it wasn't an 'ocean-view' room, we had a wonderful view of the ocean from our patio's hammock.

[NOTE: buy duty-free alcohol at the airport!! Alcohol is EXTREMELY expensive at the grocery stores, even by L.A. standards. This saved us a ton of money. Also, renting a golf cart is a must. We are athletic, and walk pretty much anywhere -- however, town is a good distance away (which offers more privacy and seclusion, in my opinion) and there are lots of great places to eat in town. You will want a golf cart, especially for traveling at night. But, I digress.]

One day, while riding in said golf cart, my purse was stolen and/or fell off on the dirt roads north of the bridge. With all of our cash and credit cards, of course (yes, huge mistake on our part). Which meant, we had ZERO money for food, snacks... ANYTHING. When we went to the office nearing closing hours to ask for some advice, Cathy immediately pulled out $300 Belizean, handed it to us, and said, "We want you to have a good time, and you need to eat! Go out to a great restaurant, and if you need more money, come ask me, even if it's in the middle of the night!"

THAT, my friends, is customer service.

She wrote out a special 'loan' for us, we signed it saying we would pay back the money, and even when our overnighted credit card didn't arrive (thanks, again, to a flight being cancelled), they loaned us even MORE money, sat in the office way after hours, and spoke on the phone directly with our bank to help us get the funds we needed. Heads up, people -- most hotels wouldn't even think about providing that level of customer service to their patrons. Xanadu is truly something special.

One of my favorite parts was when Orlando picked 4 coconuts from the tree, opened them with a machete, poured the coconut water into a pitcher with some of the coconut meat, and taught us how to make some incredible rum drinks! The activities booked for us were almost TOO easy to schedule, and Melanie did a great job of scheduling everything so that we would avoid the crowds, or so we would have the best weather.

Melanie, Franz, Carlos, Ingrid, Cathy... I have no words. You each exceeded my expectations, beyond anything I could have imagined.

The grounds were groomed to perfection, everything was clean and tidy, and Xanadu has the best grounds and pool by FAR -- and we biked up and down the beach daily, seeing the other resorts as we rode by. The private dock for sunning and swimming was incredible, and there was no shortage of places to lay, relax, read a book, or have a few Belikins ;) There is a nature walk on the premises, where we saw lots of lizards and beautiful birds. It was awesome! The kayaks were so much fun, and there were TONS of bikes to use -- all for FREE.

If you are on the fence, please let me convince you -- if you are on this island, you won't find a better resort, a better group of people, a better location, or a better experience, at this price level. We can't wait to come back one day! Thanks Xanadu!!

Room Tip: We were in room #14, which had a partial ocean view, even though it isn't 'technically'...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicole S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Fresno, California
Reviewed 9 August 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in the upstairs oceanfront suite then moved to a smaller studio near the pool for 3 nights. We had wanted to stay in the oceanfront room for the entire trip but only 4 nights were available when we booked the trip. The oceanfront suite was great: plenty of space, privacy and a great view. Well worth the price over the poolside studio.
The main drawback to the hotel was the pool area. One of the main reasons we chose this hotel was because it didn't have a bar and was supposed to be quiet and relaxing. We did not find that to be the case. Almost every day we were at the hotel the (small) pool was filled with loud children, many of whom did not appear to be staying at the hotel. We went down the road and relaxed by the pool at Victoria House, a resort down the road, and found the atmosphere we were looking for.

Room Tip: Oceanfront rooms are well worth the added cost. Don't stay at this hotel if they're not avai...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank matt559
Smithville, Tennessee
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed 6 nights in Xanadu and it was ALMOST PERFECT! We, a family of 4 including 2 teen boys, had an amazing time. It was really nice having 2 separate bedrooms. We could get up for coffee and let the guys sleep in! It was nice having a kitchen, but that said, groceries are very expensive in Belize. We found it almost less expensive to eat out....so we did! The coffee and some cereal were all we used the kitchen for. The beach area and pool were very nice, relaxing and uncrowded. We loved the beach service desk. It provided beach towels, bikes, kayaks, and for a nominal fee bottled waters, beers, sodas. It was great to have that available. There is no restaurant or full service bar on the premises.....remember ALMOST PERFECT. The front desk was AMAZING, arranging EVERY excursion I requested, to my exact specifications.....not an easy task! A HUGE PROP TO MELANIE....she went over and above.....ALWAYS! We did a crocodile tour and my boys named the croc we tagged "Melanie"! Location good....we were there off-season, not crowded or loud so I might have preferred a little closer to town. Also, do not rent unit 19, feels kinda' like an afterthought....like being a little behind the other units. All in all amazing and would definitely consider staying here again!

Room Tip: Beachfront units have an amazing view. DO NOT rent unit 19.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lindy031
Sergeant Bluff, Iowa
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We traveled as a family of five with kids ages 6, 9 & 10. Xanadu was perfect for us. We stayed in the 3 bedroom ocean view suite 11. It truly had everything we needed and more. The kitchen comes stocked with any dishes you may need, each bedroom has its own TV and a full bathroom. My kids loved the spiral staircase to get to our suite and they may have liked the open-sided stairs inside up to the second floor even more! The service at Xanadu is very personal - they went out of their way to get to know us a little so they could make the best recommendations, they came to find us at the pool after we had taken a tour to see how everything went, they recommended restaurants good for our family, and they took care of all the details for tours, masages, renting golf carts, etc. They resort itself was very peaceful. We only heard people from another room once during our entire trip - definitely different than hotels in the US. The pool was perfect - a shallow end for little kids and sunbathing (or running & jumping into the deep like my kids did) and a deep (4-5 ft) section for swimming and playing. Xanadu was a quick walk to a grocery store & the Baker - best cinnamon rolls ever! We were close enough to San Pedro that we drove into town daily with the peace and quiet of being a little farther from the city center.

Room Tip: I loved our ocean view - it was worth the upgrade in my opinion. I also really liked being on the s...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Stephanie F
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 1 August 2014

When I booked this hotel I was not sure whether it would be the right one for my vacation and honeymoon. The pictures I have seen are beautiful but I wasn’t sure about the location. We vacationed at the resort last week and were very impressed from the amenities to the staff.
The resort has some great landscaping with palm trees and other various plants to make it feel authentic. The pool is the perfect size and depth for taking a quick dip or relaxing in. Some of the trees may cast shadows on the pool area but we never had a problem finding sun. For our trip the low key atmosphere was exactly what we wanted. Unsure about the rooms I was very surprised. Our unit had a full kitchen with a refrigerator. The bedroom had a comfortable bed with a good size closet, a TV and a personal safe. The bedroom TV was not high def and an older tube but not important for such a beautiful place in the tropics. We really enjoyed having a personal safe to store our valuables and make our own key code to open it. The living room was very open and comfortable with a sofa and HD TV.
Other than the room, I was very impressed with the staff. The worker at the front desk named Franz was very helpful. Whatever questions I had he answered politely and with a smile on his face. He gave us great advice on restaurants and bars to visit. Another staff member also helped us use the barbecue but igniting it and cleaning it without being asked. There were other office workers that helped us as well but Franz seemed to always be available.
Lastly, the location of the resort is great. Not having been to San Pedro or Belize I was not sure how close to be to downtown. Xanadu is just far enough away from the airport and downtown to be quiet but close enough to get to by walking or any other transportation. One thing we took advantage of is the free bike rentals. The bikes are simple beach cruisers in good condition. Each bike has it’s own clock and some have baskets on the front. Biking is a great way to see the town cheaply and at your own pace. Other than by bike, the resort is just a short walk (15-20 min) along the beach to downtown. Along with the proximity to downtown there are a couple grocery stores and a bakery within walking distance from the street entrance. This was ideal with having a full kitchen in the room.
I would definitely stay at this resort again. It probably is not the cheapest or most expensive but has the best value. I recommend this for families, couples and honeymooners. It is great for a relaxing vacation but close enough for excitement in town. The only minor drawback is the absence of a bar, but this keeps the resort low key and more secure.

Room Tip: Bottom rooms are easy to get in and out from but are easier to track in sand. Inland rooms had more...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Zaandam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were with two families with four kids in the age of 15, 17 and 18. We all enjoyed the lovely setting of the resort. It is small and that is part of the charm. The pool is very nice and you are very near to the beach. The condo's are very good. The only thing is that we had an airco that was a bit noisy. But there are also condo' s with less loud airco's. The condo's are very comfertable. The staff is very helpfull. And the various tours can me made right from the resort. So we realy loved our stay at Xanadu!

Room Tip: Ask for the condo's with an airco like condo 12.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hetty196205
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Being my first time to San Pedro, I really didn't know what to expect, what to do, or where to stay. I stumbled upon Xanadu after researching activities I'd like to do on the island... with the spa next door, I was drawn in, and am so glad I was.

Xanadu is a little oasis just south of San Pedro's "city" center. I loved the eco-friendly, hut-style accommodations, which set Xanadu apart from the many other resorts we saw. We LOVED the free access to Xanadu's bicycles and kayaks which we used that as much as possible. The island is not that big; we took bicycles one morning north of the toll bridge to do yoga at Ak'bol (which also looked like an awesome resort). There's a 20% discount for return customers and as we waved goodbye on our final day, we met a couple who was staying at Xanadu for their fourth time! There's also a resort cat, Dino, who I nicknamed Mrs. Pedra #crazycatlady.

Everyone at the resort was super nice and they have good relationships with many people on the island which makes getting a taxi or setting up a tour more than easy. Our snorkeling boat, Lil' Alphonse, picked us up straight off the pier in front of Xanadu to go to Hol Chan! And the staff are so friendly and helpful. They set up our Tropic Air departure flight, scheduled the taxi to pick us up (and paid for it), scheduled our snorkeling adventure, and called places around the island to check on yoga classes. The office closes at 7; and since we arrived at the resort after that, the security guard had to go get Cathy, the office manager, to check us in. Whoops! She was more than willing to help us though, just make sure you have pre-reservations if you plan on arriving late too.

The only downside of this resort was their lack of a bar. The only available food/drink is out of a refrigerator by the activity check out. As much as I love Belikin beer, we had to walk to the resort bar nextdoor to get an island pureed drink or walk out to The Baker deli to get breakfast. Even if Xanadu welcomed a fruit stand to their premises, at least there would be a little something something we could consume without going too far.

All and all. Loved this place. Felt very safe and taken care of. I'm sure there are other places on San Pedro we could have stayed for cheaper, but there are also other places we could have stayed for more. I plan to come back with my family to utilize the kitchen (full kitchen! knife set!) and stay a little longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in the smallest room option (queen bed, single room) and it was huge! Huge bathroom, full...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends