“Island Paradise”

Ranked #4 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Chicago
“Island Paradise”
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Just got back from a week at Xanadu.

I picked it as a result of the reviews on Tripadvisor, and Xanadu was all that people said.

Relaxing, quiet, comfortable and great service.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite. It had a large porch overlooking the pool and beach. Comfortable furniture, hammock, etc. There was never a race to put down a towel at the beach or pool, as there was always an available chair. Even though the resort was full, it felt very empty.

The pool was beautiful and the grounds well maintained, but what really made Xanadu stand out was the service. The employees really seemed more like family going out of there way to do anything for you. Suggestions on the best restaurant, the most interesting adventure or any question you had, they would be happy to answer.

Bikes and Kayaks were available for free. Be aware they have a seawall except for a small area for launching Kayaks. There is a beach next door which you are free to use.

I would suggest renting a golf cart if you go. We did and it was great to go into town or to any of the other restaurants. Try the Sand Bar just south of Xanadu. They had the best blackened Snapper we had all week. Also beach bowling, which the kids enjoyed.

Overall a great stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Ken38

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 April 2009

My friend and I went to San Pedro for a few days of post diving relaxation and fun and decided to stay at Xanadu. It was fabulous! It is small and quaint, right on the ocean with a lovely pool area. The staff was top notch, super friendly and available to help. Our room was out of this world but it was the three bed, three bath suite on the ocean with full kitchen and the small grounds were beautifully maintained. There is no restaurant but everything is so close or accessible by golf cart that it was no problem. I also liked that they paid for the transfer to and from the hotel. When I go back to San Pedro I will stay at Xanadu.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank thesnurgs
Spartanburg, SC
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My husband and I had our wedding on the grouds at Xanadu and it exceeded our expectations. We traveled alone to Belize specifically to get married and we are so happy that we choose Xanadu. I cannot tell you how impressed we were at the customer service by EVERYONE on site. Stacey took care of EVERYTHING and I did not have to worry about one thing. There is always that doubt if a destination wedding will work out like planned but everything went off without a single problem or issue. We stayed at Xanadu for four nights and had a beach front room which was fantastic. The views were one of a kind and the room iteself was very spacious and having a kitchen came in handy. We absolutely loved the pool area which provided a fair amount of shade along with great sun spots. We even checked out bicycles and road into San Padro a few times which was such a nice option. We took a snorkeling tour coordinated by Xanadu and exjoyed every minute of our time in the water. We will truly return in the future and recommend this location for anyone looking for a relaxing get away.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sbacon130
New York City
Reviewed 19 March 2009

This is our fourth year travelling to Xanadu, and that in itself says that we like the place. This year we found more reasons to like the place. The reason its a great place first and foremost is the staff. But its what the staff does besides being friendly and cheerful that's great. They pay attention to the little things-- like selling water & beer next to the towel room, free shower soap dispensers in the showers, and an alarm clock you can plug your ipod into. That was all new, and kind of brilliant because its not big changes, but its the perfect thing to let you enjoy your vacation a little bit more.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank astrida
Centreville, Virginia
Reviewed 17 March 2009

For our Belize vacation, there were so many options of things to do and places to stay that I agonized for a long time over my decisions. In the end, I decided on staying 3 nights in the Cayo at the Maya Mountain Lodge (outside San Ignacio) and 4 nights at Xanadu on Ambergris Caye. My decisions were based a good bit on Tripadvisor ratings, reviews, and pictures (as usual), but also on the customer service I received from the staff via email in corresponding about the resorts.
At Xanadu, that service was provided by three wonderful ladies - Stacey, Ingrid, and Shirley. Between the three of them, they answered every question I could think of - not only thoroughly, but promptly as well. At times, it was more of a chat than an email trail because of the speed of the responses. This wonderful service continued when we got to the island.
We flew from the municipal airport in Belize City to San Pedro on Maya Island Air. No problems there - even got to ride in the copilot seat on the way over. A taxi at the airport took us to Xanadu and they paid for the fare.
We were excited to see our beautiful room. From the pictures on the web, I didn't realize that all of the units are the same - thought they varied in layout/size. They don't and there's nice views from all of them, so don't be concerned about which one you're getting unless you just absolutely have to see the ocean hitting the sand. The layout was perfect for us, since we have two small kids who don't like sharing a bed. And the dual bathrooms were great to have also. Furnishings were very nice and comfortable, and all the windows in front were great to see our surroundings.
I had pre-booked two tours through Xanadu - a snorkeling trip with Lil Alphonse to Hol Chan Marine Reserve on the morning of our first full day and a full day fishing / beach bbq lunch / snorkeling boat trip with Captain John Murray. Our first morning, Alphonse came to pick us up and take us out snorkeling. We picked up a few others and motored out to the park. Alphonse and his partner Ellis were great. They showed us everything we needed to know and were very nice. Alphonse is an amazing guide in the water - he named off many fish for us. We saw nurse sharks, turtles, eagle rays, huge schools of all different kinds of fish - the best snorkeling experience I've had. Something to note, though, was that the water was not very warm - actually cold in some parts. More about that later.
We spent about an hour at the first stop and then got back in the boat to ride to Shark Ray Alley. Alphonse warned us up front that they hadn't been seeing many nurse sharks in the morning, and though I saw one when we first got in the water, it swam away and we only interacted with the rays for that trip. Also, though my 6 year old son is a great swimmer and enjoyed the first snorkeling stop, he got so cold that he didn't want to come in the second stop. On the way back, I decided to see if we could rent him a wet suit and come back later in the trip. Ingrid checked on that when we returned and we confirmed it was possible ($12). I reserved a second trip for the afternoon of our last full day (which I had decided before to leave open). The rest of the day was spent in Xanadu's pool and getting groceries. There are two stores right at the end of the street where Xanadu is - I'd recommend them instead of the big supermarket, as the prices there are super high. Or just go out. We didn't, but there are obviously a lot of good places and they can't be much more than our groceries ($300 for 3 days).
The next day, we had our boat trip with John Murray. This was perhaps the only mild disappointment of our trip, as I think I had expected a bigger boat - a little more luxury for our $375 trip. However, John is a great guy and did everything he could to give us a fun day. Me and the kids tried our hands at reef fishing and brought in enough for lunch, which John prepared on a deserted stretch of beach over an open fire. Wow - what a meal! During fishing, the kids got a bit sea sick and I gave them some medicene I had bought from the store that morning. My daughter pulled out of it, but my son continued to feel poor and eventually had an episode that resembled heat stroke and we had to return to the hotel. Note to visitors, remember the strength of the sun and that kids don't always communicate their status clearly until it's past the point of being a problem. By the time we got back to Xanadu, he was on the mend. My wife encouraged me to make the most of the rest of the remainder of the tour by going out for a little snorkeling at the reef in front of Xanadu, where John took me for a while. It's nice out there - more rough than other places we went, but great coral and fish and I caught a great picture of a spiny lobster.
While we were at Xanadu, we also checked out their nature walk / bird sanctuary. It was a fun walk around, though we didn't see any birds (we were probably making too much noise). We did find a bunch of hermit crabs in the fig trees, which was a cool find!
Our last full day, we got my son the wet suit and went out with Alphonse again. We again had a great snorkel at the first stop and then saw many sharks at the Alley on the second stop. Alphonse even caught one for us to hold and get pictures. Fantastic!
The trip ended smoothly with Xanadu making the arrangements for our taxi return to the airport. Everyone was very nice and I would definitely recommend it to anyone planning to go to Ambergris Caye!
The next day,

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank hokie_dad
Durham
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Myself and a friend did a girls' week away to Belize Feb. 16-20, 2009. Xanadu was wonderful! The resort itself was clean, with a wonderful view, and had all the amenities you could want (wireless internet, bikes to borrow, IPOD players/chargers, fully equipped suites, maid service, etc.) Probably the best part of everything was the staff. They did everything they could to make our stay easy and fun, from planning tours, to making restaurant reservations, etc. They were also incredibly nice and helpful when we were in the planning/booking stages, even customizing a package for us. The price was slightly more than other places we were looking at, but I doubt those other places could have been as nice and friendly, plus the staff at Xanadu did help us work within our budget. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for a place to stay in Belize!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank BombaNC
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 13 February 2009

We stayed at Xanadu Jan 31 thru Feb 7. We had a 2 bedroom unit #10. The unit was very clean and all the utilities worked fine. Shelly and Martin were always around and available if you needed anything. All the staff was very helpful.

We had a great time. Using the bikes (no charge) was a great way to get around during the day. The resort is about 25 minutes (walking) south from the main town of San Pedro. The Internet worked great. Bring a very long data cable so you reach the data port on the wall to the desk/table.

Grocery stores – There are two stores right outside the resort. This will allow you to compare prices and I would recommend you do.

We used Ecologic divers for our scuba diving. I would highly recommend them. They basically spoil you. The best thing is that their master divers have cameras and they send you (at no charge) pictures of the dive to you that same day!! The guys are very personable and fun.

The scuba trip to the Blue Hole, in my opinion, wasn’t really worth it. I think the scuba diving at the local reef was much better and was only a 5 – 10 minute boat ride versus 1 ½ hours to the Blue Hole (& very bumpy). You must do Hol Chan and Esmeralda dive sites. They “chum” the water so you get to see nurse sharks (harmless), sting rays and Moray eels. Lot’s of fun.

Restaurants – We loved Elvi’s – their Friday Buffet is $25 but it’s worth it. Their regular menu is very good as well. We also enjoyed El Patio. Their frozen drinks were huge!! They were the only place we found that add a 10% tax – didn’t understand if that was their tip or not – no other place did that. We had pizza at Pirates pizza – very good value and tasted great.

We watched the superbowl at the Stadium – their chicken wings with ranch was fantastic. Don’t order the nachos – very small portion. It was a blast watching it with all the other people. They had a projector system so it made it easy to watch the game. I saw that several other bars had projector systems for these types of events.

I would suggest paying cash at the restaurants. Bring traveler checks - Xanadu will cash them for you. The exchange fees are kinda high on the credit card bill.

• Liked — Clean and large
  • Disliked — Cold Pool
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank VegasPat44