“Overrated and very mediocre”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Toronto
“Overrated and very mediocre”
Reviewed 23 May 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort in March 2009 and we were very disappointed in the quality of the condo rental. We had a 2 bdr..oceanfront...it had never been renovated since the resort was built. The rooms were very dated with original plumbing and cabinetry. Standard kitchen items were amiss such as salt and pepper, sugar, etc. Kitchen supplies were limited and cutlery was most likely purchased at the Dollar Store. Also, we were surprised to have a public path directly in front of the condo so there was no privacy whatsoever. Once we arrived, we saw other resorts that were newer and were surprised at the difference in the ratings on this site. We certainly won't return to this resort.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank Tr00pers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Halifax
Reviewed 22 May 2009

My husband I stayed at Xanadu for 13 nights (April-May). We had a wonderful 1 bedroom apartment with outside deck and hammock. There is not much I can say that hasn't been said on other reviews -- I write only to confirm and reinforce what has been written. This resort is PERFECTLY located -- a 20 minute walk to the town where there are many wonderful restaurants to choose from. We found that the recommendations which were listed in the helpful binder which Xanadu provides to each unit, to be spot-on.

The staff were wonderful, Shirley (whom I know is missed each and every day) and Ingrid in particular.

San Pedro is a great little town, there is no shortage of choices for restaurants (and no fast food MacDonalds, KFC, Burger King, hurray!) and there is always something going on in one of the clubs in the evening. We heard some fantastic, Regae and Punta music on this trip.

I am not a strong swimmer but did do one trip and saw some amazing fish. My husband went about 5 times and he saw turtles, sharks, sting rays, moray eels, fan coral, brain coral --- and many other species of fish -- he said it was the best snorkelling he had ever experienced. The reef is about a 10 minute ride directly from the Xanadu pier and the trips are very reasonable priced, about $35.

If you are looking for a place to truly chill-out and enjoy authentic belizean food/culture/people -- Xanadu and Ambergris Caye is the place to do it.

I very much hope to return sometime - soon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle WA
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My partner and I were there from 5/10-5/17 and had the time of our lives. A big part of this was due to the staff at Xanadu. Stacey booked us on the most amazing private tour of the Lamanai ruins and it one something I will never forget.
Stacey, Ingrid, Shirley, and Martin were the most genuinely nice staff I have ever met at a resort/hotel. They helped us get reservations after making great restaurant recommendations, book amazing excursions, answer general questions with a smile, and just make us feel very welcome the whole stay.
The amount of stuff that is included in your reservation is well worth the moderate price of this resort. Kayaks, bikes, towels, snorkel gear, great pool, wifi. In my experience you'd pay extra for that anywhere else. The beer was cheaper at the front desk than at the grocery store around the corner.
We used the beach side BBQ one night and it was great. They provided all the tools we needed and the grocery store around the corner had a good selection of frozen meat and fresh vegetables.
We met some great people on our trip and Belize is definitely a place we'll be coming back to in the near future. We know where we'll be staying!!
Thanks to everyone at Xanadu for a great time. I know you read these!!!!
:-)
Jonathan & Christopher
Seattle WA

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 May 2009

My wife and I just returned from 10 days at Xanadu. It was our 6th trip to Ambergris Caye as we, like so many others, have become hooked on this wonderful island.
I won't name the previous places we've stayed on the island. I will say that Xanadu was far and away the best experience we've ever had in San Pedro.
The second we pulled up to the resort, we knew we had made the right choice. From there, it only got better. While checking in, I noticed the unit I had reserved(Unit 15) had been crossed out and Unit 11 written in its place. Turns out we were upgraded to what we affectionately termed "The Mansion". A jaw-dropping, beautiful 3-bed, 3-bath suite right on the water. The pictures on there website don't come close to showing how nice this unit really is.
All the previous posts regarding the staff and service are true. The reservation process with Stacey was seamless and simple. The young ladies at the front desk, Ingrid and Rachel, were so helpful with scheduling and information. Orlando kept the grounds spotless and always had the BBQ ready to go for grilling the days catch. Before are first day ended, we felt like part of the family.
We will definitely return to Xanadu.

Sloan & Sheryl Bradley
Portland, Oregon

1 Thank goducks04
Kansas City
Reviewed 18 May 2009

Just returned from a week at Xanadu. What a great place! We made last minute reservations and Stacy made this easy - handling reservations for the flight to Ambergris Caye from the mainland airport. Upon arrival, Ingrid greeted us at our taxi and showed us in. We stayed 2 nights in room 3 (2 story/loft) overlooking the ocean. And 4 nights in room 14 (2 story/2 bedroom) view to the ocean. Both rooms were excellent! We loved having a full kitchen, the 2 stories made it feel like a condo, really enjoyed the full deck with patio furniture and hammock. Our stay was super relaxing with an opportunity to be on the go when we wanted to. Shirley, at the front desk, was THE BEST! She was super friendly and ready to suggest & organize outtings & reservations for dinner. The property was very clean, staff extremely nice, and very quiet. It's about a 30 minute walk up the beach to town or a quick cab ride into town ($5USD). There are 2 small convenience stores right near the property to get some basics and a larger supermarket just up the road. We really enjoyed being able to have a full kitchen on those days we got too much sun and to have a little breakfast before we set out for the day! There is wireless HSI by the pool, although we found we needed to be up close to the clubhouse to use it. All in all, we would highly recommend Xanadu. It was by far one of the nicest getaways we've had in a while!

NJ
Reviewed 15 May 2009

My husband and I stayed in a one bedroom suite. The suite was clean and comfortable. I agree with all of the comments others have left. Our tours were fantastic - Ingrid booked us on a private tour for cave tubing and zip line. We did the night snorkeling and morning snorkel with Alphonse. We used the bikes and the kayaks. The staff was very helpful and never seemed annoyed with all of our questions. Xanadu was a great place to stay and we plan on taking our kids back there next year. The only thing I did not like had nothing to do with the resort but with the amount of stray dogs on the island. I was happy to find the SAGA society on one of our bike trips into town and left a donation. The lady at the SAGA society said the island has a large stray dog population. I would like to see more of the hotels somehow involved in the caring of these animals...even something as simple as a box at the reception to donate your "leftover" Belize dollars to help them. You could be sitting out by the "beach" and dogs would run by. Some with owners, most without. Being a dog lover, that was difficult. As with everything, education is key.

New Jersey
Reviewed 10 May 2009

I came with my two teenage boys (13 and 17). We had a fabulous time. Everyone at Xanadu was lovely, and I cant add more than the 180 other reviews. We dealt with Ingrid and Shirlymae mostly, and they helped with every detail. We loved just being able to walk into town or ride bikes around. The food was really good almost everywhere, and the Belizeans were very friendly and pleasant. I would highly recommend the day trip to Lamanai. It felt like we had the place to ourselves, and although a long day, it was well worth it. The zip lining and cave trip wasn't as good, although the boys liked it. A lot of people from a cruise ship had disgorged themselves that day, we were trying to avoid them. The snorkeling was great fun. We went to Boston Rocks rather than the somewhat touristy Sting Ray / Shark Alley.

One thing; the water is shallow because of the barrier reef, and there is a lot of sea grass. If you want big sandy beaches with clear water where you can walk out, this probably isn't the place for you. My kids preferred the pool. But this is why the diving and snorkeling is so great.

The boys want to go back next year already. I felt totally relaxed. Having internet in the rooms and the pool was also great as you could take care of any urgent work matters if they came up.

One warning; my kids, although biologically mine, don't have my last name. As their mother wasn't traveling with us, we were almost denied entry. If you are traveling without both parents, make sure that you have a notarized authorization to travel document and a copy of the other parents passport. There was another family going through the same ordeal as we were held at immigration. We managed to get in after the boys mom faxed a leter and a copy of her passport to Belize Immigration

Thanks Xanadu. You lived up to your advance billing!

Mark Smith