“Wedding perfection at Xanadu!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Arlington, TX
“Wedding perfection at Xanadu!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

We had long ago decided to do a destination wedding and finally settled on Belize and then on Ambergris Caye. Upon finding Xanadu here on tripadvisor, I knew it was the place for us. After over a year of waiting, we finally got to travel to the most beautiful island and meet all of its wonderful people.

There are not enough good things that I can say about everyone and everything at Xanadu. Stacey must be the most patient person in the entire world because I emailed her weekly with odd questions and requests regarding the wedding and she handled them seamlessly without any delays. We were married on the beach and then had Sylvia, a private chef, cook a reception dinner in the suite my parents were staying in. I cannot think of a more perfect or intimate setting for the entire event. Even if a wedding is not in your plan, I would hire Sylvia for a meal because it was hands-down one of the best meals I have ever eaten. Kay Scott provided photographic services and has a wonderful photo journalistic style and the flowers provided by Dulce met my color preference, even though it was not easy.

The resort itself felt like tree house apartments to me as I went back and forth between our unit, my family's, and other guests attending the wedding. We had unit number two, and in addition to a fabulous view of the ocean, we had an incredibly comfortable bed with plenty of pillows upstairs. My family was in unit nine and it was easily larger than any of the apartments I ever lived in, and nicely appointed. Xanadu is a beautiful jungle paradise that I found to be the best resort environment I've ever been to. There were few children there, but families are easily accommodated as well. We really felt as though we were there alone quite often due to the small number of units, making that much more special of a location.

We took a snorkeling tour with Alfonso and went to Xunantunich and zip lining with Ed from Ed's Eco Tours and would recommend both of those experiences. We had a golf cart the entire trip and this made life much easier, so as to transport water, beer, and groceries from town. Our favorite meals eaten out were at Sunset Grill and Red Ginger (as recommended by Stacey- the chef is amazing). We also barbecued on the beach a lot at the outdoor grill that Xanadu recently added. There are plenty of bars up and down the beach, and we found our favorite as being Big Daddy's just north of Central Park because the bartender Brian is so nice.

I can say that we are already planning our return trip for the soonest possible date! Going to San Pedro has changed me in ways that no other vacation locale has. If this is your first non-all-inclusive experience, you will not regret it. Go, have fun, and make sure to get to know everyone!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

My husband and I just returned from our childless getaway to Belize. We stayed for 3 nights at Xanadu, and didn't want to leave. The location is ideal for walking to dining in and around San Pedro. We rented a golf cart for half a day to explore the island, and for us, the north end seems too isolated. Sometimes you want to get away from it all, just not for the entire trip!

We had a one bedroom unit and it was nicely equipped with kitchen supplies. We ate breakfast in our room, grabbed a snack for lunch and ate a nice dinner in town. I brought things like crackers, oatmeal, muffin mix, and peanut butter from home. We purchased drinks, yogurt, chips and salsa in one of the small stores close by. Xanadu does provide a large container of bottled water and a little coffee to get you started.

We are divers and highly recommend the Hol Chan dive and snorkel to see alot of marine life. Restaurants we liked for dinner are Hidden Treasure (in a nearby neighborhood) and Wild Mangos. Expect to pay $18-$25/entree US dollars for dinner entrees here.

The very best part of Xanadu is the incredible customer service. Belize has the friendliest people of any destination we have been to, and the nicest of all are at this resort. They will do ANYTHING to help make your stay the best. Xanadu was amazing and we hope to return with our 3 kids in the near future!

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2009

My girlfriend and I just returned from a trip to Belize - with 6 members of her family which included 5 nights at Xanadu.

Key pluses:
- Relaxing environment (not country club like Victoria House, not frat house like some of the in-town hotels)
- On-site bikes & kayaks (free!) - and the bikes have nice big baskets to haul your camera, groceries, etc.
- Great location (just outside of San Pedro "congestion", but close enough to walk)
- Great pool (w/ towels & snorkel gear)
- Very helpful staff
- Full kitchens
- Nice long dock

Minuses:
- No onsite dining (this didn't bother us, checking out the local scene was fun, I highly recommend the "Wild Mango")
- Seawall at the beach (but this is common on Ambergris, so are the iguanas that live in the wall)
- The "Nature Walk" was a nice buffer, but nothing to brag about.

Tips:
- If you have functional legs, no real need to rent a golf-cart (which many people do)
- Avoid the big "Island Supermarket", prices were jacked up bigtime ($11US for a jar of peanut butter!!), you'll find what you need at the smaller stores for far less. There are 2 w/in 300 yards of Xanadu.
- You'll save a few bucks by booking tours (snorkeling, sunset sail, etc.) by dealing directly with the Tour company & avoid the hotel's cut. (We used "SEAduced" and Lil' Alphanso - both were good).

I would definitely return to Xanadu.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank RaleighRedSoxFan
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I just returned from a week's stay at Xanadu and could not have been more pleased with our stay. The staff could not have been any nicer or more accomodating. Everyone (Stacey, Rachel, Martin, Isabel, Orlando) went out of their way to ensure our stay was great. You could tell that a "great customer experience" is what they strive for. Our suite was simply incredible... nice spaceous rooms, very well decorated, comfortable furniture, great appliances, gorgeous views of the ocean, and shady porches that caught the afternoon sea breezes.

The staff arranged for our flight to and from Belize City, arranged for travel to and from the San Pedro airport, arranged all our dive trips, gave us great dining suggestions to suit our appetites and our pocket book.

A nice bonus was having in-room Internet so my wife could easily stay in touch with the kids, business emergencies, etc.

If you fly over the island and or take a boat trip up the coastline notice what a nice job they have done ensuring the resort blends into the landscape. They are the only one on the island that seems to have done so.

As much as I would like to keep mum about this great place, we will be recommending it to all our friends and family as well as our local dive shop.

Give them a try... you won't be disappointed.

-ccw

1 Thank Love2Travel064
Toronto
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2009

My family and I stayed at this resort in March 2009 and we were very disappointed in the quality of the condo rental. We had a 2 bdr..oceanfront...it had never been renovated since the resort was built. The rooms were very dated with original plumbing and cabinetry. Standard kitchen items were amiss such as salt and pepper, sugar, etc. Kitchen supplies were limited and cutlery was most likely purchased at the Dollar Store. Also, we were surprised to have a public path directly in front of the condo so there was no privacy whatsoever. Once we arrived, we saw other resorts that were newer and were surprised at the difference in the ratings on this site. We certainly won't return to this resort.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Tr00pers
Halifax
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2009

My husband I stayed at Xanadu for 13 nights (April-May). We had a wonderful 1 bedroom apartment with outside deck and hammock. There is not much I can say that hasn't been said on other reviews -- I write only to confirm and reinforce what has been written. This resort is PERFECTLY located -- a 20 minute walk to the town where there are many wonderful restaurants to choose from. We found that the recommendations which were listed in the helpful binder which Xanadu provides to each unit, to be spot-on.

The staff were wonderful, Shirley (whom I know is missed each and every day) and Ingrid in particular.

San Pedro is a great little town, there is no shortage of choices for restaurants (and no fast food MacDonalds, KFC, Burger King, hurray!) and there is always something going on in one of the clubs in the evening. We heard some fantastic, Regae and Punta music on this trip.

I am not a strong swimmer but did do one trip and saw some amazing fish. My husband went about 5 times and he saw turtles, sharks, sting rays, moray eels, fan coral, brain coral --- and many other species of fish -- he said it was the best snorkelling he had ever experienced. The reef is about a 10 minute ride directly from the Xanadu pier and the trips are very reasonable priced, about $35.

If you are looking for a place to truly chill-out and enjoy authentic belizean food/culture/people -- Xanadu and Ambergris Caye is the place to do it.

I very much hope to return sometime - soon.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Seattle WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

My partner and I were there from 5/10-5/17 and had the time of our lives. A big part of this was due to the staff at Xanadu. Stacey booked us on the most amazing private tour of the Lamanai ruins and it one something I will never forget.
Stacey, Ingrid, Shirley, and Martin were the most genuinely nice staff I have ever met at a resort/hotel. They helped us get reservations after making great restaurant recommendations, book amazing excursions, answer general questions with a smile, and just make us feel very welcome the whole stay.
The amount of stuff that is included in your reservation is well worth the moderate price of this resort. Kayaks, bikes, towels, snorkel gear, great pool, wifi. In my experience you'd pay extra for that anywhere else. The beer was cheaper at the front desk than at the grocery store around the corner.
We used the beach side BBQ one night and it was great. They provided all the tools we needed and the grocery store around the corner had a good selection of frozen meat and fresh vegetables.
We met some great people on our trip and Belize is definitely a place we'll be coming back to in the near future. We know where we'll be staying!!
Thanks to everyone at Xanadu for a great time. I know you read these!!!!
:-)