My sister and I stayed at Xanadu for 5 days/ 4 nights and it is one of the most friendly, beautiful, relaxing places I've ever been. The resort itself is beautiful and natural. All of the rooms are situated right on the beach with palm trees growing in between them. They go to great lengths to insure the natural habitat is preserved. The location of the hotel is perfect. We were a short cab/golf cart ride from town. Many of the restaurants are even walking distance. I was concerned before going that Xanadu doesn't have a restuarant or bar but honestly, I preferred it since it kept the place quiet. The market is close by and Xanadu stocks a few beers by the pool for emergencies. :)
My sister and I drove all the way up north where some of the more "luxury" looking accomidations are and we're really glad we didn't stay there. It's so far from town that you have to take a water taxi to get anywhere. That sounds very inconvenient to me. The staff at Xanadu were also great. Ingrid even kept an eye on us single ladies traveling alone and made sure we were home safely in the morning. They booked tours for us and made restaurant suggestions when asked. Our room was great too. We somehow got an upgrade into a two bedroom (not sure how, but not complaining). The rooms aren't "modern" but they're very comfortable and the beachy feel is great. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. San Pedro itself is a wonderful island. I would recommend it to anyone, couples, groups, families.
My sister and I particularly enjoyed the following things, which I recommend to all of you!
Rent a golf cart (way worth it). We even had our own bar crawl in the thing!
The fish tacos at Palapa Bar. BEST.EVER. Plus the bar is a must see. It's basically a bar on a dock out over the ocean. Way cool.
Cave tubing/Zip Lining. My sister and I took a tour to the mainland. It was a lot of fun. We opted to do the boat guided tour instead of flying because we'd already taken so many flights. I would DEFINITELY opt to fly next time. The trip to get to the caves is so long and exhausting as it is. BUT it's worth it to go.
Shopping the local stores. We found a lot of cute little trinkets. I really enjoyed that part.
Breakfast at Estelle's. Very cute place on the beach. The food was good too.
Really, I loved everything about San Pedro. No wonder so many Americans live there now. I would definitely go back and I wouldn't stay anywhere but Xanadu. I love how laid back and friendly everyone was. A+ from me!
PS. There wasn't much to the "nature walk" thing. I think the only nature I saw was insects. :)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Unique, Boutique, Romantic and Eco-friendly! Imagine tranquility settling over you like a mist over the ocean; kick off your shoes and stroll amongst the natural vegetation past the water features and onto the beach. Breathe in the fresh ocean air as you wander down the long pier to relax on the sun loungers under the thatched palapa and gaze out over the barrier reef to the deep blue waters of the Caribbean Sea. Settle in and experience the uniqueness of the monolithic dome buildings and enjoy the romantic setting of your private veranda. When you are ready to explore, visit the friendly staff at the front desk to arrange tours or to use the complimentary bicycles, paddle boards and kayaks. Experience all this at the unique, boutique, Green Globe certified Xanadu Island Resort – a touch of luxury and romance in harmony with nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Xanadu Island Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize Hotel San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Hotel
- Xanadu Island San Pedro
- Xanadu Island Resort Belize/San Pedro