“Perfect Island Getaway - I miss it already. :(”

Xanadu Island Resort
Ranked #5 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Arlington, Virginia
“Perfect Island Getaway - I miss it already. :(”
Reviewed 12 November 2010

My sister and I stayed at Xanadu for 5 days/ 4 nights and it is one of the most friendly, beautiful, relaxing places I've ever been. The resort itself is beautiful and natural. All of the rooms are situated right on the beach with palm trees growing in between them. They go to great lengths to insure the natural habitat is preserved. The location of the hotel is perfect. We were a short cab/golf cart ride from town. Many of the restaurants are even walking distance. I was concerned before going that Xanadu doesn't have a restuarant or bar but honestly, I preferred it since it kept the place quiet. The market is close by and Xanadu stocks a few beers by the pool for emergencies. :)

My sister and I drove all the way up north where some of the more "luxury" looking accomidations are and we're really glad we didn't stay there. It's so far from town that you have to take a water taxi to get anywhere. That sounds very inconvenient to me. The staff at Xanadu were also great. Ingrid even kept an eye on us single ladies traveling alone and made sure we were home safely in the morning. They booked tours for us and made restaurant suggestions when asked. Our room was great too. We somehow got an upgrade into a two bedroom (not sure how, but not complaining). The rooms aren't "modern" but they're very comfortable and the beachy feel is great. The beds were surprisingly comfortable. San Pedro itself is a wonderful island. I would recommend it to anyone, couples, groups, families.
My sister and I particularly enjoyed the following things, which I recommend to all of you!
Rent a golf cart (way worth it). We even had our own bar crawl in the thing!
The fish tacos at Palapa Bar. BEST.EVER. Plus the bar is a must see. It's basically a bar on a dock out over the ocean. Way cool.
Cave tubing/Zip Lining. My sister and I took a tour to the mainland. It was a lot of fun. We opted to do the boat guided tour instead of flying because we'd already taken so many flights. I would DEFINITELY opt to fly next time. The trip to get to the caves is so long and exhausting as it is. BUT it's worth it to go.
Shopping the local stores. We found a lot of cute little trinkets. I really enjoyed that part.
Breakfast at Estelle's. Very cute place on the beach. The food was good too.

Really, I loved everything about San Pedro. No wonder so many Americans live there now. I would definitely go back and I wouldn't stay anywhere but Xanadu. I love how laid back and friendly everyone was. A+ from me!

PS. There wasn't much to the "nature walk" thing. I think the only nature I saw was insects. :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Robin0879

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Richmond, TX
Reviewed 9 November 2010

My niece referred my sister and I to Xanadu Island Resort for our vacation stay. Are we glad she did! Xanadu is a very beautiful hotel. Ingrid and all of the staff made us feel very welcome. The rooms and grounds of the hotel are very clean. We loved the tropical setting and ocean view. The pool area is also very tropical and beautiful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Ambergris Caye. I will definately stay here again.

Be sure to check out Crazy Canucks Beach Bar which is only a walk down the beach from Xanadu. Fun place to hang out and party!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Kingston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 November 2010

I can only repeat what everyone else says on this website about this resort. It was positively awesome. The resort grounds were immaculate and beautiful. The rooms were very comfortable (great AC) and the beds were also very comfy! The well equipped kitchen was spotlessly cleaned every day. The deck was one of my favorite spots. We loved LOVED the hammock!
But all of this pales in comparison to the treatment you receive from the staff. They upgraded our room which was a lovely surprise. We could see the ocean from our deck and the spiral staircase in the room was pretty cool! They left us a treat in the fridge along with a Happy Anniversary note (we were celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary while we were there.) When ever we wanted to book an excursion it was done quickly and notes were left in our room with necessary information as we were out exploring alot.
And they follow up to be sure you return safely (sorry guys!) and that you enjoyed the tour.
I cannot say enough about the personal attention we received from the staff there. Blanca, Ingrid, Jamil and Orlando and everyone else: I consider you all a friend and cannot wait to return someday. (soon I hope!)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank annefw
Tumbling Shoals
Reviewed 8 November 2010

My wife and I had an excellent stay at Xanadu even through hurricane Richard. The buildings are constructed cement domes that can withstand a category 3 hurricane so we felt very safe. In addition the staff updated all of us every hour or so with both written and verbal notices. Speaking of the staff, everyone to a person were 100% into customer service and satisfaction but special thanks to Ingrid and Orlando!! Also there is 24-7 security so you are safe, the city is safe and we had no problems and the people, all of them, were the most friendly people I have met in our travels.
The accomodations were perfect; comfortable bed, well equiped kitchen, etc. I was particularly impressed that the resort had TV with over 100 channels, mostly U.S. so we were able to watch TV through the hurricane...yes they have back-up generators.
Some tips: Get your beer and coke at the distributor up the street, take any medicine you need a small bottle of Tylenol was $4 U.S so think ahead, also I could not find snacks that were not over priced like a bag of potato chips was $7 and I wished I had taken the small pkgs of Crystal Lite to put in the water we used out and about. RENT A GOLF CART!!! a trip into town is a trek besides my wife is disabled so it was a must have. Eat at Waraguma it looks like a hole but it is great and the seafood platter is enough for 2 at $12 U.S. You can book trips yourself over the internet which is cheaper or have the resort do it for you...they do know the best and most reliable people; trust their judgement.
Next year we will stay there for the whole Belize trip; went to San Ignacio and stayed at Windy Hill Resort and were miserable!!!!! The right way to do Belize (for us) is to stay at Xanadu and take trips from there since most of what you want to do is close to Belize City and a $30 water taxi for 2.persons.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I have been on many vacations but have never felt compelled to write a review. After booking a number of resorts online, sight unseen, I've always been a little apprehensive upon arrival - wondering if things were really as nice as they seem online. Each time, there have been a few, or more, disappointments. This time, I can honestly say there has not been a single disappointment. Xanadu is honestly as beautiful as it appears online. I had read the reviews about the staff and wondered if they could really be that nice and helpful. And they absolutely are. We were surprised upon arrival with an upgrade to an oceanview room. Jamil, Ingrid, Blanca and everyone else who helped us were gracious and helpful with every detail. What an asset they are to this business!

The pool and grounds were spotless. Our suite was immaculate and cleaned promptly and thoroughly each morning. Anything we wanted or needed, was either supplied or we were directed to it.

I am certain we will be back to Xanadu. It was a glorous week in paradise......

Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 4 November 2010

This is my first review on TripAdvisor and it took a resort with exceptional service to get me to write one. Xanadu Island Resort is absolutely one of the gems of San Pedro. The resort staff is by far the friendliest and most helpful I've ever had the pleasure to meet. They were prompt and thorough when replying to my emails about planning our trip and also offered to book our transportation from the mainland to San Pedro. During our stay the friendly staff helped us to plan activities, make reservations, told us about local hot spots and overall made us feel right at home.

Xanadu is a relatively small resort with quiet and peaceful ambiance. Our room was spacious and contemporary with ample A/C. It had a full kitchen and a comfortable living area where we lounged most of our evenings. The only drawback to this resort is that they don't have a restaurant so you either have to go out or cook your meals. There are a handful of good restaurants within walking distance and the rest you would either have to bike to or take a golf cart. The resort offers to its guests free use of their bicycles and sea kayaks. There is a small swimming pool and plenty of lounge chairs to help you keep cool in the tropical heat.

This is probably not the place to stay if you want to party and stay up all night, but for those who want a quiet and comfortable place to relax after a day of fun in the sun this is it!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jacksonwong
Aransas Pass, Texas
Reviewed 4 November 2010

My first stay at Zanadu was 4 nights and it was wonderful but this one was 7 nights and even better. They have upgraded the furniture and added a towel/beverage room. The service has always been great. Compared to the other resorts on the island, this feels more like a home than a hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends