“Yup!”

Pedro's Hotel
Ranked #31 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
“Yup!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Not my type of establishment. No, no, no....But that's what you get for booking your trip at the last minute.

Backpackers, families, solo travelers, such as myself, young, old, you name it, they lodge in the hostel or the hotel.

The hotel is perfectly located, in a quiet area, but ten minutes walk from the party spots.

There's a bar, quite the party place too, with dirt cheap beer and tasty rum punch, live music, and superb bartenders. Professional and pretty!

There are a couple of small pools, I never went in any of them, but the other guests seemed to enjoy themselves.

A small library sits in the main office, you can borrow books and/or leave yours for the next readers.

You can rent a bicycle for a very reasonable price.

The individual rooms are relatively clean, and equipped with a flat screen TV (and plenty of channels) and AC units. The soap and the linen get changed everyday in the bathroom.

And then there is the service. In a word: excellent! Peter, in his unique flamboyant style, and Paul, in a more reserved fashion, made me feel home, organizing and excursion in less than two minutes, offering me tips, information, a ride,...Thanks guys! Thank you Felipe and Will too.

I really enjoyed my stay at Pedro's both for the atmosphere and the price.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Meriem_C_H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Polish first
cvguru
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2013

I stayed here a couple of weeks ago and had a fierce craic. Peter or Pedro as he's known is an eccentric English / Irishman who likes to turn the air blue at the drop of a hat and reminds me of a Brummy berk I know quite well.

The hotel, although basic, has all of the necessary amenities one could wish for in a hotel like a bed, a bathroom, a tv, a table, a chair, walls, a ceiling and most useful of all, a floor! I particularly dislike hotels without floors as they are very difficult to navigate around, especially late at night when one is three sheets to the wind.

But I digress, nay I hear you say, Adrian never digresses when telling a story. Back to the plot, and this plot has more twists and turns than an Agatha Christie novel.

We find our hero lying on his bed, looking up at the ceiling fan, waiting for a mission. And when this mission was over, he wouldn't want another....

To be continued.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2012

If you are looking for a friendly, economical housing option in San Pedro, Pedro's Hotel is the way to go. The rooms are basic, featuring a bed, a small tv, a sink, and a bathroom. That said, they are comfortable and meticulously cleaned. Pedro's is not just an inn-it's a center of activity. In addition to the rooms, the Hotel complex includes a sports bar, 2 swimming pools, and a shady garden with hammocks. The real value of Pedro's lies in the fact that it's a community. It was a joy to come home every evening after a full day of diving to the friendly faces at Pedro's Inn. Even if you didn't know anyone, you were sure to make friends with other guests at the bar or in the garden.

Peter and his staff made every effort to be accommodating, and were always on hand to answer questions about the island and things to do there. I was very impressed with the fact the owner personally handled guest issues, and made an effort to greet his guests nightly. Inn staff planned activities several nights per week, from trivia to pub crawls, so there was always something to do.

I recommend Pedro's to anyone visiting Ambergris Caye and looking for a clean, safe, and friendly place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Essex, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

Our cheerless room was a reasonable approximation of a jail cell: only one window - which was barred and sealed (no fresh air, but at least the AC kept it reasonably comfortable at the expense of the noise of its compressor mounted on the outside wall cycling on and off all night), sparse harsh lighting (no light over the sink mirror, one central fixture, one bedside lamp, one bare bulb in the bathroom), barren walls, no hot water tap at the sink, pencil scribe lines and nail heads left showing on the plastic wall material in the bathroom, etc.

People booking here should be aware that this is NOT a beachfront property. It is located about 3 blocks from the beach on a dingy back street.

The positives: the room was very clean, it was quiet, the staff were polite and helpful: great local advice, free rides to our snorkeling trip and to the airport.

We tried to minimize our time in the room: snorkeling trip, dining, etc.

Room Tip: We stayed in a 3-story 30-room "bunkhouse" across the street from the rest of Pedro's...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Muiggs46
pedro101, Owner at Pedro's Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2013
No where have we ever, or do we claim to be a beachfront location. The fact that is was part of your review makes me wonder if you even looked at any information about our hotel before booking - or if you made a decision based solely on price without taking your expectations and needs into consideration.

We are a budget hotel. If you are looking for 5 star rooms, we suggest in future that you book at a 5 star hotel and pay the price of that type of accommodation, instead of selecting a budget hotel and being surprised that it's a budget hotel. The majority of our guests come to do exactly what you describe in your review - enjoy the paradise of diving, snorkeling, adventure tours and lifestyle that is San Pedro, Belize.

We offer clean, cheap and SAFE rooms for our guests, at a very reasonable price. The rooms on the ground floor are set up to provide the highest level of safety possible for our guests. If you had come to the office to let us know this wasn't acceptable to you, we could have moved you to a different room.
Brantford, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Pedro's hotel was a great place to stay. It is definitely not a place if you have kids and want to cater to them. The only downfall at the time we went which was in November 2012 they were doing a lot of construction which was very disturbing. I must say though that the owner offered some sort of compensation for the trouble. The staff were great and I have to say the pizza there is to die for. I'm sure after the construction it will be a much more relaxing place but as for the budget friendly traveller it is great. Enjoy

Room Tip: All rooms at the moment are the same however the new build looks like it will have a balcony each.
Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
pedro101, Manager at Pedro's Hotel, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Hi Jane, thank you so much for you nice review. We realize the construction was sometimes an issue, which is why we kept our prices low even though we had started to move into High-Season. We are very pleased to inform you that construction is now complete, and the 12 new hotel rooms have become available and yes, they all do have balconies overlooking the 2 swimming pools ( we added a 2nd swimming pool during construction!). We are very glad that the staff were helpful to you, we really do strive to provide a very high level of service to our guests. And the pizza is good, isn't it!
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

After having spent 5 nights in one of the best hotels on Ambergris Caye (courtesy of a wealthy friends husband!) I had to find something on the island within my budget which is tough there, as it is generally very expensive. I found Pedro's on hotels.com and, as it was well priced, went ahead and booked. I was worried about the transition from five star but I needn't have been. Not only was everyone so much more friendly than where I had been, the beds were really comfortable and the showers were as good if not better in terms of heat and water pressure. Both massively important elements to me personally. I was also pleasantly surprised when Peter personally booked my flight off the island and arranged to have me taken to the airport on a golf buggy. Totally unexpected within the price I paid. I would highly recommend Pedro's if you are travelling on a budget. Now i only wish I had stayed a bit longer and tried the pizzas!

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

After travelling in Mexico and Guatemala the prices in Belize and particularly Amberghis Caye were a shock. Pedros is a well priced hotel in an expensive resort. The formula is just what you need - very clean (daily maid service with clean towels), hot showers and a comfortable bed. Air on was efficient if you needed it. The bar is welcoming and serves great pizzas. There is a nice pool area with loungers. Without exception the staff are very helpful and can book snorkel,trips, hire bikes (a bit rusty) and ferry tickets.
Top tip - go to Ramons Vilage nearby for the best beach and great smoothies. You can use the loungers for the price of a drink.
A very peaceful stay for a couple of more mature backpackers.

Room Tip: Ask for a fridge. Ours was in the room before we could get back to it! Excellent service.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple