“unbeatable at the price”
Review of Pedro's Hotel

Pedro's Hotel
Ranked #30 of 55 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The owner and staff call this a budget hotel and price it accordingly, but it s far better than that. The rooms are immaculate, nicely furnished, with handsome varnished wood walls, and everything works - A/C, fan, one's own shower with hot water, etc,etc. And there are not one but two pools! The staff is friendly, extremely helpful, and obviously enjoy their work. A 3-night stay there will have you feeling like part of the family. Someone may even ask you if your want to walk the owner's 2 friendly and stunning dogs - a golden retriever puppy and a husky. Pedro's attracts a young, fit crowd from all around the world as well as some older regulars and San Pedro residents who enjoy the local english pub-like atmosphere of the sports bar. There is an overall charming ambience to the place - rare for a budget hotel. Yes, 5-stars for what Pedro's achieves in hospitality.

Room Tip: I'm an old guy; I stayed in a ground floor room next to one of the pools and nearest to the bar...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 2ndcab

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

With a bar down stairs and prices reasonable with less than 5 minute walk to the beach you can't go wrong staying here. You will not be in the heart of town but I consider that an advantage. Free wifi and clean place to sleep. Make sure you get a room with good water pressure.

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Dvdsonsoccer
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Pedros inn for 4 nights in the Annex rooms. We are half way through a 2 month holiday so these rooms provided the perfect place to save some cash however not skimp on the essentials. The annex was a great size for a couple with a huge big bed, ensuite bathroom, tv, AC, etc. We hardly spent any time in the room as we were always out and about.

Pedros itself is a great little spot, there are 2 clean pools to choose from, on site bar with cheap cold drinks and great pizzas and the stuff were extremely helpful. They were able to book some accommodation for us in Playa del Carmen for our next stop on the trip. You also get to utilise the pool/ bar etc at there sister resort Caribbean Villas just down the road. It's a short stroll into the centre of town and close by to the airport. If you are travelling through on some sort of budget this place is a great friendly spot to stay in San Pedro.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Mins18
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This is about my seventh or eighth stay here and have enjoyed each and every stay. You have to remember this hotel is a hostel and hotel. The hotel rooms are clean with comfortable beds. There are no fridges in the rooms but if you ask for one, the staff will put one in your room. I only use the room for a place to sleep and change clothes as there is always some where to go in San Pedro. The rooms in the new annex are nice and comfortable. If you are looking for a room to spend your holiday in, this isn't the place for you.

The bar is clean and has friendly bartenders. The rum punch is great and be prepared to have the bell rung and enjoy shots of Jager. They have two pools to relax in or beside.

The staff will help and arrange various half day or full day trips for you as you want or what you are interested in doing. The Wi-Fi is ok in the annex rooms but can get good Wi-Fi outside by the bar or by the office.

I will be going back to Belize and when on the island I will always stay here.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Friendly and very helpful staff.2 lovely pool areas which are great. Rooms leave a little to be desired. Cleaned well for what can be done. It's more the materials used. could do with some serious updating for the money that you pay. Wifi not strong at all in rooms. TV and aircon perfect. Shower good
So all you need and want in San Pedro for budget hotel..except paying $70 per night is a little steep.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank geraldine t
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The employees were kind, however the room was terrible. I think the floor was covered by wallpaper. It was ripped and torn in several places leaving the subfloor exposed. The floor wasn't clean at all - I never took my shoes off (I don't know how that would clean it anyway since most of it was ripped. The king size bed was made out of 2x4s and on the mattress it seemed to have a place for my body and then 2x4s on the side. Most of the walls were unfinished sheet rock and didn't meet up in the corners. The shower was clean. The wifi only worked outside on the stairs (which seemed to be standard for many places). It was more of a place for young party goers than maybe a family or couples. The best part was coming in from town and turning on the bathroom light and seeing two cockroaches scurry from the walls. I know that these creatures are part of this climate - however, we never saw one in the place we stayed previously in Belize for four nights. I had to sleep with the light on because if there were two - I knew there were more. The thumbnail associated with this hotel is nothing like what our room looked like. They also had a nice beach shared with a sister hotel (although I heard that hotel was way nicer and not much more).

Room Tip: If you stay check out the room first and don't be afraid to decline.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Megan C
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This hotel is one block from the main road and divided between hostel rooms and rooms with a private bathroom. I stayed on the private bathroom side. AC worked well, decent selection of cable channels, towels were changed every day even if I hadn't asked for it. Wi-Fi worked well in public areas. Pedro's is a sister hotel of Caribbean Villas about 1/2 mile south down the street on the beach and you can use their pool, lounge chairs, and beach bar. Decent pizza in the restaurant but in my opinion; for the price, quality, and atmosphere, head down the street just a bit to Pinocchio if you're looking for anything Italian/NY style pizza. The water kept going out in my room which was related to a faulty part of the water pump to my room. Management had ordered the part but didn't tell me about the water issue in the room until I mentioned something the fourth time. I ended up temporarily running out of water about 6 times during my stay. However, management ultimately refunded me for one night because of this and there wasn't even an argument over it once I asked for some money back. My room didn't have a mini-fridge which meant I had to go out every morning to the market for breakfast. It also would have been nice to have real curtains and not paper-thin bed sheets over the window. Also, we pretty much had to rely on the fan light as there were 2 other switches in the room which weren't wired to anything.

One very important note about Ambergris Caye. I want to mention this because I never saw anything about it before I went. You cannot flush toilet paper anywhere on the island because of the way the septic system was built. You have to wipe and throw it in a trashcan and the maids collect in the morning. Honestly, take hand sanitizer with you and learn to go number 2 at the restaurants because I wouldn't want that smell in my hotel room overnight, especially with only one small open trashcan provided.

Some positives and negatives with our stay but overall, I was pretty happy with the choice to stay here because I don't think the more expensive "resorts" on the island are really worth it. Besides, if you spend that much time in your room in San Pedro, you're doing something wrong.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple