“We will be back, we promise!”

The Palms Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #23 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Toronto, Canada
“We will be back, we promise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

We just got back from out stay at Palms Oceanfront Suites on Ambergris Caye. This was a very special trip because we reunited after being apart for several months.
I cannot even begin to explain how much I miss the Palms oceanfront suites. The staff is incredibly attentive, make sure to email them with any questions or suggestions and they will respond promptly. This hotel is very close to town, within walking distance, but far enough to avoid the noise... and every room besides the poolside casita is oceanfront!!!
All of the rooms have full kitchens with all the pots, pans, blender, microwave, utensils... we tried to make smoothies in the morning, but with so many fabulous restaurants around it was difficult! Our favourite meals were at Elvi's, and the best breakfast we had was at this little taco joint next to the French bakery where it was like 3 little tacos for 1 belize dollar/50 cents US. A place where the locals would go eat. We kept ordering more because they were so yummy! We didn't get sick at all from the food, and I normally have a very sensitive stomach!
The shopping is mediocre on the island.... if you need to buy gifts for ppl back home I suggest the "Kakaw" artisan chocolate bars. I bought six and ate 2 myself already.. should have bought more! Absolutely delicious. Also ask the guy at Greenhouse to pick you a pineapple that is ripe... I cannot tell you how much I miss the pineapple from Belize. The fruit here in Canada tastes sour and bland.
You can rent golf carts from the Palms for half day or full day if you decide to go explore the island. Also for 10 bucks a day you can get a hammock on your oceanfront balcony for the length of your stay.
The staff, Ana, Melinda, the Management - husband and wife, the Security guards, cleaning staff, are all really genuinely kind and helpful. Everyone works hard.. it was really reassuring to see the security keeping an eye out even in the middle of the night. We were thoroughly impressed. We were given a gorgeous 2 bedroom executive condo...If I had hundreds of thousands of dollars around I would buy a condo unit in a heartbeat!!! But for now our plan is to come back in July... and I guess that is the biggest compliment to the Palms, that the customers want to come back.
Thank you for everything, the property is managed perfectly.
- Miki and Andreas :)

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SunshineMOntario

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Ormond Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2009

My sister and I stayed here for a week. I was intent on completing my scuba certification in clear, blue water. It all worked out great. Perfect place. It's right in the middle of everything, but like an oasis. The grounds are shaded and tropical, with a great beachfront and plenty of shade on your porch. The staff can't do enough for you and the price was super. Our condo had a master bedroom and a small second sleeping area which made my sister's stay more comfortable than it would have been on a fold-out couch. Because each unit is individually owned they are all furnished and decorated a bit differently, but tasteful and functional. I saw three and was impressed by all of them. I dove with White Sands and loved the 6 dives I did. Elbert Greer and his staff are first rate. One day my sister and I took the ferry to Caye Caulker. The island is the way the Caribbean was 25 years ago. If you go, look for Nick who drives a golf cart taxi. He gave us a great tour of the island for a reasonable price. On Ambergris, be sure to stop at "The Crazy Canuck" for lots of local color and buy some chocolate chip cookies from "The Cookie Lady". You can't miss her. Have fun and make time to see "La Isla Bonita". Lovely people and The Palms is a real find.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
caribbeanboundsailor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2009

The Palms exceeded my expectations. The accomodations were great, as well as the location. The staff were attentive and kept the place spotless! Everything was within easy walking distance. I hope to go back very soon!

• Stayed February 2009
zehutiman
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

There are many places to stay in San Pedro, but the clincher for us staying at The Palms were two things: the price and the recommendation I read. Ambergris Caye can be an expensive place -- everything is shipped to the island. Thanks to internet reviews like this one, I learned of many places NOT to stay. Yet, every place still seemed costly. So, when we called The Palms and they offered us a great price (lower) on their units, we jumped at the opportunity. For the first 4 nights, we stayed in their Casita which is very quaint and private -- you almost have the pool to yourself. However, once we got to the 2-br unit for our final 2 nights, we thought, "wow, I wish we had spent the last 4 nights here, too." The view from our ground floor unit was magnificent....you're only about 20 yards from the water. We appreciated the fact that the units were well airconditioned and clean (save for a few ants in the casita). The housekeepers even washed our dishes, which was unexpected. They even rake the sand around the units and office which my son loved messing up; but it was a nice touch and made everything seems so neat (they also rake the beach to make it look nice everyday). The accomodations couldn't have been more comfortable, convenient and scenic. There's no restaurant at The Palms but there are plenty of others nearby. Besides, ask the staff for just about anything and they'll probably get it for you. And, you won't find a friendlier group than the folks who work at The Palms -- they took good care of us. I must add, too, one of the biggest pleasures of Belize and the island was the frienliness of the people. It's not a forced frienliness that you get, for instance, in Hawaii (imo). It seems genuine and, the consequence is that you start saying hello and chatting it up with complete strangers -- the camraderie and friendliness are that contagious. Other pluses: you can use the US dollar, plenty of ATM's, everyone speaks English, plentiful restaurants, no shoes required :)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank zehutiman
Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2009

Ideal location! Nice big rooms! Very friendly staff. Highly recommend staying here. You can walk to all restaurants, shop, and town area. Right on the beach with beautiful views.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2009

My husband, Mother and Father stayed at The Palms in early May of 2008. This was the second half of our 10 day trip to Belize, the first part being in San Ignacio.
The Palms was perfect. In my opinion, the best place to stay on Ambergis Caye. Very cozy and private. We stayed on the first floor, end unit which was great because we felt like we had the whole courtyard to ourselves. The view was amazing and the condo was very clean and accomedating for a family of 4. The pool is very tropical and private and the staff incredibly friendly.
The beach, as most are on the island is filled with seagrass and difficult to swim directly into.
This location is ideal because it is right next to Ramone's beach which is the nicest we saw on the island.We used the beach without any trouble.
Far enough away from the hustle and bustle of San Pedro but a very easy walk along the beach into town is a plus.
The island is quite expensive. Having a kitchen was helpful but I am not sure how much we really saved as groceries were shockingly overpriced.
Overall, if you are going to stay on Ambergis Caye and want privacy, great location and charm- The Palms is the place to stay.If we were to go back, we would likely stay on Caye Caulker which fits our quiet, laid back personalites more so tham Ambergis. Thanks to The Palms for an unforgettable trip!!!

• Liked — Privacy, location
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2009

One review I read called this property the most well kept secret in Ambergris Caye and I have to admit they are 100% correct. Our suite was perfect just what we asked for, anything we requested the staff handled. I highly recommend that you use their expertise on booking tours, on obtaining a golf cart, getting drinking water and of course provisioning your room with plenty of beer and rum. The beach is small but finding a perfect beach on the island is almost impossible so it really didn’t matter. I advise anyone thinking of a San Pedro vacation to peruse the travel forums and get advice before making your decision I did and don’t regret any day of the week we spent there.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple