“Perfect location! Wonderful staff!”

The Palms Oceanfront Suites
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in San Pedro
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
“Perfect location! Wonderful staff!”
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We arrived to the smiling face of Melinda on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in September. Our accomodations were absolutely fabulous and the location of The Palms was perfect for us because of the glorious view, right beside Ramons for drink and food, and close to everything we wanted to do. Excursions...well all we had to do was to ask Ana and she booked everything for us right there in her office. The grounds were beautiful, the staff was very friendly, and the room was great. We could not have asked for a nicer place to relax. Joel and I would like to THANK EVERYONE at The Palms for making our holiday THE BEST HOLIDAY WE HAVE EVER HAD!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Utah
Reviewed 2 August 2009

When we arrived we were shown 2 different units and for some reason we decided on unit # 14. At first I was a bit disappointed because the pictures on the website make the condos look soooooo much larger then what they really are but the space ended up perfect.

The condo was furnished nicely and the kitchen was stocked OK. The kitchen was lacking in mixing bowls and there was nothing to make things like Jello in at all. Also, no extra garbage bags for smelly garbage in the kitchen which is also part of the dining room and living room. The kitchen served it purpose and worked out just fine for us. We never really cooked food but loved having the full size frig!

The big problem is the AC in the main living, dining and kitchen area. It never got very cool. I noticed that it had froze up so we had to shut it off for several hours at a time and it got really hot! The AC also would drip water on anything that you may have sat under it on the floor or bar.

Another big concern for me was that you were warned that you had to put sticks in the sliding glass doors when you were gone because people would walk in and steal from you!! This was told to us by Ana and also by the security guard so it was a bit unsettling to me. When I went to lock the slider at night I found out why the sticks. The lock was broken on the door. But it was no problem to put the sticks in when we left or slept. The view out of the doors was so wonderful!

The master bedroom was great in size and furnishing and the bed was quite comfortable. Having a TV in there was a real treat too!

The second bedroom had a small problem. We stayed for a week so we did not want to live out of our suitcases but the closet in the second bedroom was locked, I assume it had the owners things in it. This meant that every time my son's wanted something out of the closet that they had to go into the master bedroom and use that closet. Thank goodness that the master bedroom had a large closet. Very poorly planned and we were not made aware of the no closet issue until after we were settled in and did not want to pack up and move.

The master bathroom was good in size but the shower was not at a pitch so if you did not get ALL of the water off the bottom then it would start to smell by the end of the day. There was a lot of counter space for all the stuff the 3 of us had.

The porch was nice and we used it all the time. We had a hammock which was wonderful but it sure took up a large part of the porch. That is because of where they installed the hooks but it was still wonderful!! We spent a lot of time out on the porch watching the sea.

The cleaning staff was very nice and helpful but they did not do such a great job of cleaning at all. Someone spilled some shampoo in the shower and after they "cleaned" the shampoo was still there in the puddle it was left in. They never changed our sheets in the entire week we were there! Plenty of towels were left everyday. If they had not done a couple of dishes we left in the sink and put in fresh towels then we would never of known that they cleaned. There was still sand on the floor and the floor was dirty. No worries because I just cleaned each day myself. Not what I wanted to do on vacation but oh well.

The security guard, I can not remember his name, was fantastic!! He showed us how to fish off the end of the pier with a soda bottle, fishing line and hooks and he was always around and visible. I swear that man raked the sand every hour of the day and night. He was very helpful to us on many occasions.

After reading the reviews I find out that we could of rented a golf cart from the office and that we could of purchased water from the office as well. No one ever told us any of that and I was in the office daily getting clean beach towels. The ladies in the office were a big help giving me suggestions as to where I could get an item packed for travel. The nicest people in the office were Ana and the lady that I think owns the place, a British lady I think. They were both very nice and helpful with anything that we asked.

The biggest problem that I faced was that I booked The Palms with the knowledge that there was WiFi because I needed to do work while I was there as well. After we got there we found out that days before we arrived the router fried and we were told that they would have a new router by Monday, this was Saturday. Well, the router never got there and so I had to go to an internet cafe daily to do some work. Had I known this when I checked in I would of changed our accommodations because I did not go on this trip to have to leave my family and go out to "work" everyday and had to work around cafes hours.

I must say that there were a lot of small things that need to be addressed at The Palms but we did truly have a fantastic stay and the place as a whole was wonderful! I am looking in to a unit that is for sale on the property as well. We will stay there again in a heartbeat!

Maybe I just expected a bit too much but when you end up paying almost $1000 for a 5 day stay, and then find out that others are paying less then you are, I just expected a bit more but we still loved our stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MrsView
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 10 July 2009

My husband and I have been coming to Ambergris Caye since 1998. We fell in love with the island immediately and now come twice a year. We've stayed for several years at Ramon's Village and that was truly special. The last time we've stayed there we've booked the Presidential Suite. It was magic. I'd read about The Palms and had trouble finding it, because it is set off the street. I finally noticed it right next door!. As much as I loved Ramon's, The Palms was a better buy and much larger! It is like having your own condo. All the suites are beach front with balconies (a stone's throw from the Caribbean) except for the pool side casita. This feels like our home away from home not just because the accommodations are incredible and a great value, but, also because of the staff that helps make our stay convenient and comfortable with their attention to detail. The Palms is ideally located just a few steps from the airstrip and a very easy walk to town. Without question, The Palms is, undoubtedly, the best value on the island! Over the years we've had the opportunity to experience most of the restaurants on the island. We have enjoyed all of them but on our last visit in April, we had dinner at one of the island's newest, Hidden Treasure. To date, it was our finest dining experience. Not only was the food exceptional but the atmosphere was inviting and elegant. The owner, Ruben Munoz, and his family have made wonderful choices in terms of decor and menu and provide a friendly atmosphere in which to dine. When you're planning your stay on Ambergris Caye, Hidden Treasure should be number one on your list of restaurants and without question, The Palms should be number one on your list of places to stay. We've been lucky to travel all over the world, and have stayed in a variety of accommodations, and The Palms is by far our favorite. We look forward to staying at this truly special place for many years to come. It has become a second home.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
Grayson, Ga.
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Last time we traveled to Belize we traveled the whole country and stayed a few nights @ Ramones Village in Ambergris. This time we stayed next door @ The Palms. We stayed in #33. I was a bit concerned because I had half knee replacement a few months ago and #33 is on the 3rd floor with no elevator. It was well worth the hike . The view is spectacular in # 33 . I bargained ahead of time and got the room for $210 USD per night via Ana. I met a woman who bargained @ the last minute and moved out of #33 right before we arrived. She said the paid $189 USD per night although I couldn't confirm with management and wasn't able to price match once I got there. My rate included the 9% tax, but my credit card company (Amex) did not give me the 2 to 1 ratio that we got the whole time we were in Belize. Room #33 I believe is the Creme de la Creme. The family that was moved to Room # 32 said that #33 was the best as she had been inside #31 and #34. It is a center building two story with the main level having a master with a king size bed , bath, kitchen ,den ,deck with a place for a hammock . The loft has two queen size beds . Oh there appears to be a sofa bed in the den on the main level. I did not open it up,but I lifted the cushions upon departure looking for a fish book our son bought and I saw the metal bars you see in sleeper beds. I wish I had brought more people as one of our family members was staying elsewhere. The kitchen is semi well equipped. The frying pan is not the best and the only large burner is cock eyed (not centered ) so you are constantly cooking lopsided. There is a full refrigerator and in our unit there was dishsoap which may have been left by previous guests. I was told there was no dishsoap or sponge. The housekeeper , Ingrid, loaned me her sponge which was wonderful for cleaning the fry pan. The unit is decorated in the Belizean theme with a picture in the 1st floor bath by a local artist. There are also numerous wall decorations which I saw for sale in San Pedro. I like that the owner decorated the unit by supporting local artists and not bringing everything in from the USA. On a personal note and I'm not real religious ,but there is a cross in the master bedroom which leads me to believe that the owners are Christian and I like renting from Christians.
I did see some areas that need attention. The AC in the loft is fantastic and I was worried that the children would be hot. They said it was great. The AC in the den froze up on us as did the one in the master. We keep our home in Atlanta @ 68 and for sure you will never get this unit that cool. We rolled with the punches ,but it would have been nice to have had some cool AC to return to in the afternoon or to have gotten monetary compensation for the lack of AC. The reception office is really cool and you can tell the AC is working in there ,but of course it is a small area and the den in # 33 is a nice size. I may sound spoiled ,but for $210 per night we did expect to have working AC. I of course complained to management upon arrival and they sent someone up. He informed us the units were frozen and that we should turn them off for 2-3 hours and then turn them back on. We did this the entire time we were there, but that meant hours of heat and then working AC ...and the cycle repeated itself. I mentioned this to management a second time upon checkout. I'm in the service business and I probably would have offered monetary compensation for the inconvenience if I had been management. So if the owner reads this I would tell him/her that their unit is just Fantastic,but the AC's need some attention as does the large burner and a new fry pan would be nice. Overall this unit is just spectacular. The view is one to die for. I mean this. The balcony has an arch concrete frame and it looks out over the azure blue and turquoise sea. We are boat people and there is a boat dock with a # of sailboats and other boats right in front. This is eye candy for boat lovers. Oh I should tell you that if you are considering Ramones Village or The Palms, choose the Palms. You won't get a kitchen @ Ramones . The rooms @ Ramones are very much typical of Belize,but the pool is about the same size and prices for everything are higher @ Ramones . We rented our golf cart and we got a 6 seater (very large ) @ a place called Monchos. Take a right out of The Palms and it will be on your left. We bargained for 24 hour rental with Ramon and the price was $80 USD and $5 for insurance . We drove from one side to the other for 4 hours. We didn't make it from far end to far end. We thoroughly enjoyed the family day just driving. We bought souveniers in town and went to the grocery hours later in the day . We ate most meals in with the exception of lunch @ Fido's on the water. I had a giant fish taco for around $12 USD. It was truly delicious ! Just for future reference, when you are there currently they are giving one USD to two BZE dollars if paying cash. I paid quite a bit more by putting things on my credit card. I think I'd do cash more if I was going again anytime soon. I'm going to call my credit card company and ask a few questions as I have quotes in USD, but my charges are higher . I'm assuming it must be the conversion rate or a tacked on fee by the credit card company. Ask your credit card company before you go as I didn't do this. I did get my quotes in USD so I'm not sure if my charges are correct. I just called them and told them I would be in Belize so they wouldn't deny my spending. Last year I had issues in Thailand in spite of notifying the credit card companies. Oh FYI, most places do not take Amex, only Visa and MC. We are Amex people because of points so this was disappointing to only use our Visa and MC cards.
There are great finds @ the airport. I looked everywhere for a wooden puzzle per request for my Guatemalan niece. I didn't find one anywhere except the airport when we departed. Overall I think Ambergris has hgher prices on souveniers and Paintings ,but lower prices on accomodations.
With regard to safety, I had gotten a warning from the Belmopan Embassy. (I registered with the US embassy before departure). They said that criminals were targeting the island tourists. I got an email back from our hotel in Caye Caulker that said Yes this is true. Basically just follow your common sense. I asked a lot of questions and came up with the answer. Don't go out @ night by yourself or into dark bad areas of town. The tourists that got in to trouble did just that. I live in Atlanta and I wouldn't think of going downtown in a dark unlit area @ night.
Have a great time . Hopefully there won't be any earthquakes while you are there. We had an earthquake off the cost that measured 7.1. Our building shook as did our bed and the water sloshed out of the pool, but there were no injuries or damage that I could see/tell.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank Perdido
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2009

We visited the whole caye and The Palms has by far the best location and beach front, the service was amazing, the staff is superb. We loved staying there and will be back for sure. The Palms are great condo apartments with everything you want. Kitchens are small but fully equipped, the bedrooms are amazing and the most fabulous thing is the porches, you can just lay on the very confi launch chairs or get a hammock and take naps in the confort of your own place. It was also good to be able to take showers or refresh as we came from walks or the beach. There are plenty of great restaurants to choose from at a short walk from The Palms, and the best of things is that you get to go to them by walking on the beach. If you need to go to any place in town you can walk, but if you want to get to know the north side of the caye, its best to take a water taxi, specially for dinner. We recommend Estels for breakfast and if you don't mind walking a little bit more go to George's Kitchen, Wild Mangos for lunch and dinner, Caliente for lunch they have great soups and taquitos. If you want a more intimate dinner, go to Capricorn on the north side or Hidden Treasures on the south side, they are both fantastic.
Don't forget the Palms if the best place to stay

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
cheyenne
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We were on Ambergris April 4-11. I had e mailed the Palms a bit earlier and asked to have a case of Belikin and some snacks in the condo. Everything was there and the price was reasonable. The location is perfect. We used Ramon's beach every day and their dock. We ate lunch on the beach at Ramon's probably 4 of the days we were there. The food was good. Pina Coladas were $5 us. The beach was groomed every morning and the snorkeling and swimming from the dock are great! We rented a golf cart and toured the island. Going North, we only got about 1/2 mile because the road is so horrible. Going south was much easier. Ate at Victoria House one night, best meal we had and the place is very nice, a bit too remote for us. We were in condo 33 which is beachfront and a view to die for! The condo had everything we needed and we could walk to the Blue Grill for breakfast and we did eat dinner there one night, very good. The hotel arranged a fishing trip for my husband on Good Friday and that was hard for them, but they came through for us. We also arranged our golf cart rental through the office at the Palms. We walked next door to Ramon's and used their dive shop for all of our diving and snorkeling trips. All in all, the staff was great, condo clean and comfortable, location could not be better.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Mississippi State, MS
Reviewed 25 March 2009

We lucked out and got the poolside casita at a discounted rate. While it did not have a beachview, it felt like we had our own private garden next to the beach. The casita is totally cute with nice furnishings, cozy bed, and kitchen with all the gadgets you'd need if you wanted to cook. We ate out. The only kitchen gadget we needed was a wine opener. ;) It felt like home away from home, only way smaller!

The staff was friendly. Juan met us at the water taxi dock and gave us a quick tour of San Pedro and made some recommendations on local dining.

The Palms is a small charming place in a great location. Just on the edge of SanPedro, it had a quieter beach* (next to Ramon's, which is a nice spot) and minutes to numerous water sports vendors. It is also about block from the airport so buying tickets to get back to Belize airport was a breeze. *Note that the beaches we saw on Ambergris Caye are not long wide stretches of heavenly beach where you'd run in for a cooling off dip every 30 minutes...instead it is a short beach with sea grass. It seems to me that the snorkeling/scuba is the main attraction, and we loved it!

The only downside is Wi-Fi is not free ($25) but if we really wanted it, I saw an ad that the Sunset Bar (about 8 min walk) offered it to its diners.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple