“Nicer than expected!”
Review of Conch Shell Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Conch Shell Inn
Ranked #31 of 53 Hotels in San Pedro
Reviewed 18 February 2014

A group of us spent a week here and loved it! The rooms were nicer than expected. The owner and staff were very helpful. Naturally a hotel facing the beach, water taxi and gas dock with a local favorite bar next door was not the quietest place in town but it was truly a central location. If you are looking for peace and quiet with five star treatment go to Cancun not the center of San Pedro Town's busiest section of beach. I enjoy the sounds of San Pedro (ok maybe not the garbage truck at 5:00 am). There will be plenty of time to sleep after I'm dead. I will return to the Conch Shell Inn.

Room Tip: If sleep is really important to you go stay somewhere north of the bridge away from busy San Pedro T...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KerryVDZ
There are newer reviews for Conch Shell Inn

Reviewed 16 February 2014

The Conch Shell was as expected! it is in a very busy part of town, close to everything. Joan, Mark and Staff Marie and Ivan were absolutely amazing, The room was very clean. A little known fact is that you can have laundry done and Order a pizza. The porch is quite a hit!!! we were on the veranda and got to know our neighbors and spent time sharing stories of all the travels. I felt the Bed was very comfortable. I would recommend staying at the Conch. I would recommend traveling light and having the staff do the laundry. We did a snorkeling day on a Catamaran with a beach lunch. That was one of my favorite days. Thanks Joan and Staff.... It was a memorable experience.

Room Tip: Rooms near the alley can be a bit noisy. The windows are just shutters with screens not a lot of ser...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Rainy831
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

I've been coming to this hotel for the last three years in a row now. There is no hotel in San Pedro that competes with this one on price & location. The first thing I noticed was the bright fresh paint on the exterior. The salt air combined with the constant breeze can wreak havoc on the paint. New this year was heavy duty chairs & tables on the upstairs
verandah. Also new was inroom safes. Not that you really need a safe because I would trust Ivan & Mari the two caretakers with any valuables that I may have left out. Joan did a great job finding these two! They are hard workers making sure the place is spotless inside & out. They will also go out of there way to make sure everything is right for all the patrons & always
with a smile. We had Mari do a load of laundry for us for only $10us! A much better option than lugging your clothes to Nellies. I've read bad reviews regarding smoke & noise. Yes there are coconut ash trays on the outside tables, but with the constant onshore breeze the smokers were never a problem for us. #2 the bar & beach noise. Cholos next door is a small sports bar with a pool table & a few TV's. The noise coming from Cholos is nothing compared to the Dance clubs on the town square with their speakers blaring outside! No matter what beach front hotel you stay at there are always people walking & talking on the beach. Just the average voice will carry far on the beach at the dead of the night.
Thanks Joan, Mark, Ivan & Mari for a wonderful two week vacation! We're looking forward to coming back next year!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We spent a few nights at the Conch Shell Inn and found the rooms to be clean and affordable. The staff was excellent and owners Joan and Mark went out of their way to accommodate our needs. It was a bit noisy, but when we asked about switching, we were given the opportunity to move to their other location north of town for the remainder of our stay. The Conch is right in the middle of the beach front area with lots of good restaurants and access to all of the dive/snorkel shops on the island. It's perfect of folks who want the Caribbean nightlife along with comfort, affordability and impeccable service. We highly recommend this fun spot!
Jean and Doug
Medford, Oregon

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the hotel are a bit quieter.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rennie2013
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I stayed at the Conch from Jan 1st thru the 6th. This place is right in town. When I say right in town that is exactly what I mean.There is no privacy whats so ever at the conch. You are in the middle of everything. There is a very noisy bar right next door that is very active in the evening. If it wasn't for my fan and air conditioner running I would have gotten NO SLEEP. The room is so basic and I was disappointed in this. The walls had cracks in them and the bathroom had a mirror the size of a small cantelope. There was absolutely NO lighting to see your makeup and no immediate plugs around the sink area. Luckily I brought an extention cord because you couldn't have plugged in a curling iron or hairdryer and reached the sink. It didn't really matter anyway due to not being able to see yourself because of no light. I took a mirror off one of the walls and propped it up on the window in the front of the room so I could see .. There were NO hangers for my clothes or a place to hang only a dresser. I enjoy hanging up my clothes, dresses to get the wrinkles out after a long ride there.The shower had a roach in it one day which for that climate wasn't surprisng but I was still turned off. The water pressure sucked as well. Water kind of trickled out which drove me crazy and the water only gets semi warm and that ran out by the time the 3rd person got in to shower. There is no phone in the room to call the front office so if you need anything you have to go ring a bell on the side of the building and someone comes to your aid. RIght in front of the place had chairs and loungers and hammocks which was nice and the Conch kept their immediate property clean and kept up but to the right of the hotel by the street area is dirty and full of trash. Also the beach area directly in front of the hotel is not really a beach area for swimming and laying out. Dive shops and boats are all over the place, really super close to the shore line. That was disappointing for my two teenagers but the view was beautiful. This was to bare bones for my taste. I would spend more money next time and stay somewhere a little nicer. But when booking online and sight unseen it's hard to tell just what you're getting. Joan, the main contact for the Conch was wonderful. She took time for each one of my emails which there were many and answered quickly and with kindness. The staff on the premises were nice and polite and tried their best to help with my needs. The rooms on the upper veranda did look more appealing inside, at least with a small kitchenette . The rooms upstairs are blocked with palm trees so seeing the ocean is obstructed but it doesn't matter I will not stay here again or recommend this place to anyone that I know. The conch could do a few things to spruce up the entire feel of this place but perhaps they get enough business to not really care.

Room Tip: Lower veranda is not very desireable. Upper veranda looks better and rooms on the edge on the right...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank oksana012
ConchShellInn, Owner at Conch Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Conch Shell Guest,
In reviewing each of the 38 emails we shared I realized you were confirmed originally for upper veranda during the holidays and due to flight difficulties flying standby, were unable to enjoy your stay at that time!
Although we have a written cancellation policy we provided 2 of your 5 nights complimentary and waived the fee for the 3rd adult in your room but were unable to accommodate your group on our upper veranda as we were sold out!
We completed renovation of our main floor in January, adding more shelving and places to hang clothing but oddly we have always had hangers in our rooms and our staff is readily available to offer anything to improve our guests stay so with this I'm baffled!
I personally know that the island doubles in size over the holiday as all the children are out of school and families from the mainland flock to the Caye's as well making our spot a very busy area!! We also realized the weather was very atypical by raining most everyday all day as most seasons we do not see a drop of rain from November until May, this makes it hard to appreciate all the wonderful "jewels" Ambergris Caye has to offer! We do wish to thank you as some of the rooms did have poor lighting and this has been corrected.
Warm regards,
joan

Reviewed 28 December 2013

My 33 year old son and I just spent 9 days at this Inn. We dove very day with the scuba shop right outside our door.The Inn was clean , fun, and perfectly located.Joan and her staff did a great job in addressing our needs , questions etc.This is not a fancy place.It is a great value.I can readily afford the fancy places, but they are less fun and are not located in this older and fun part of town.I will stay at the Inn again when I return. Twenty feet from the edge of the ocean, well, maybe 40 feet.Everyone in San Pedro was great.Yes, there was some noise from the bar next door on a few of the evenings, but that made it all a bit more exciting. I recommend highly San Pedro and the Inn .Bruce Malkerson in Minneapolis.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed here a few weeks and found the hotel clean and comfortable. The staff are very friendly and honest, the upper rooms are nice to stay in, but unfortunately the bar beside the hotel is very noisy and later in the evening the partiers walking along the beach tend to be on the loud side. If you are one of these partiers then no problem. This hotel is right downtown so you get all that entails, but all in all a nice place, too bad it isn't in a quieter area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
ConchShellInn, Owner at Conch Shell Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2013

Dear Conch Shell Guest,
Thank you so much for sharing your holiday with us on the island!! We pride ourselves to offer a great room for a wonderful value being right on the beach in the heart of San Pedro. It is a great location as you are within walking distance to anything and everything, however during the holidays we have double the traffic on the beach and with schools out on the island along with those on the mainland plus full with tourists ...also add a soccer game on TV across the road from us it can be an extremely busy place for sure and partying on the island is in full swing..with sometimes early morning "soap opera's" about a man that don her wrong upon bar closings!! The country itself closes down for Christmas week along with banks and such so basically everyone has the time off!!
They are just finishing building the water taxi terminal on the backside of the island which will eliminate A LOT of traffic which is bittersweet as guests enjoy the people watching coming from the mainland from their veranda!! Also, is so convenient when arriving/departing just steps away, but for those looking for a quieter spot it will be wonderful...it really also depends if on the south or north end of the building and if it is a weekend/holiday.....also having so many trees on our property I woke up early December to very loud birds!!!
Thanks again for staying with us and sharing your experience!!
Warm regards,